Oldboy

Liam

So....I just don't get it.

Not the story, I understand that.....I just don't understand why it is so popular. I mean, the film is alright, but nothing more for me.

So yeah, I was hoping might be able to tell me what I was missing, or at least why they thought it was as good as people have suggested.

Good question.

The acting is rather groovy. The direction is groovy. The camera work is groovy. Eating a live octopus is groovy. The hammer fight scene is groovy. The weird storyline twists are weird but groovy. The plot is tasty.

It's hard cos one person's Godfather 2 is another person's Freddie Got Fingered.

I hope that's not a knock against Freddy Got Fingered. That movie is awesome.

I thought Oldboy was pretty good. But then I saw Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and thought it was a much better crafted movie, even if it got off to a slow start. If you're looking to get into the rest of Park's "Vengeance Trilogy", Sympathy is awesome, Oldboy is good, Lady Vengeance is disappointing.

Lady Vengeance is the most disturbing in many ways, I think, if simply for that scene where she's showing the parents the video of the girl being hanged by the teacher...which is just...kind of sick. And the prison rape is just...eeew. Personally, I think that all three are equally good, although Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is all kinds of awesome, even if the first 20 minutes or so are kind of slow.