The Inevitable January Transfer Market Topic

Crybaby Bunting

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defoe's great. He was really good at Spurs and only suffered cos Keane was always first choice and Keane played better with a target man like Berbatov than another short fella like Defoe.

Defoe playing off Bent or Pavlachenko will do as well as he's done off Crouch and 17 goals in 36 games for Pompey is a good return for Defoe. He scored 64 goals in 177 appearances for us (often coming off the bench) which is more than a 1 in 3 return which alongside a big man ain't bad and he's got a better average this last season so basically I, like most Spurs fans, are delighted that he's coming home.

It was tough for him last time that his time at Spurs conincided with Robbie Keane's three career best seasons and even then he kept Keane on the bench some of the time.

Basically this is the best news I could have expected this transfer window.

After the start to the season we've had I've now had two utter mark out moments - waking up one morning to find that Harry Redknapp was signed as manager, and now to come home from work and find that we've agreed a price for Defoe.

We've lost money on it but at Spurs we're used to paying inflated prices - he's exactly what we need and the fans will give him one helluva reception.

Also, he's settled in the Premiership. Bringing in another overseas striker would have meant giving him time to settle. Defoe's up to speed and ready to go.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Pav is small and lightweight, isn't he? It's how he's seemed..

Bent & Defoe would be good, though.

Pav's a weird one cos he plays a bit like a big man but he's not particularly large or bulky. He would work alongside Defoe well though but I agree about Bent and Defoe working very nicely together.

I dunno, I can't rate Pav. He seems slight, but he doesn't play like it. Very lightweight when I did see him.

Bent has pace and power, Defoe has pace. Quick, full of movement. If they gel, you'll be set.

Edited by Johnny Drama

And more importantly, he's a first teamer at Rangers, so why would they loan him at all, especially at his age? Sell or nothing I think.

Obviously during the conversation about Ferguson going there, the captain turned around and offered them Pedro instead :shifty:

Arshavin and Fabregas aren't really the same type of player, you're aware of that, aren't you... I wish Arshavin didn't go to Arsenal though. I'd rather he'd have gone to someone else... doesn't seem like Arsenal's kind of player anyway.

and Podolski is linked to going back to Cologne or moving to HamSV ... fucking queer.

So Elano, Jo, and Ben Haim are on the transfer list ? If that was already mentioned sorry. Seems there's plenty of Jo love around here.

And yeah, Wenger's interest in Arshy seems a bit odd given the makeup of the team, but hey at least it would be a quality move for once.

Kris Boyd from Rangers to Birmingham is rumoured. Rangers say they've rejected a £3m offer, but will listen to anything higher, while Birmingham say they've already had an offer accepted and they've a 5 year deal on the table for him waiting to be discussed. While it would be nice to see the best Scottish players stay in Scotland, there's a part of me that wants to see how he'll fair in the EPL should Birmingham win promotion.

Setanta were reporting Boyd as a done deal. Surprised Boyd's going, wasn't he a key member of the Rangers side? Seems weird he'd go from CL/UEFA cup level (albeit they didn't qualify this year, but 99/100 they do) to playing Barnsley and Blackpool.