Mafia Game Waiting List

R.W.

Don't bother putting Webcom IV on the voting list RW. I'm close enough to the front with my spot in the small games list anyway. Provided Catholocism doesn't take a month to finish or something and the UN game doesn't lag behind, I'm hoping things should move quick enough that I can run this thing before the end of March.

That... that would be ideal, at least. In any event, I'm second in line, so I doubt the poll would really benefit me all that much.

I'm starting to think we should ditch the waiting list and just have a ready-to-go poll for all the slots. All the traditional games are ready, 2/3 of Small games are ready, half the large games and just under half of the mediums are ready to go.

Hell, the only excuse the ones that aren't ready have seems to be "they're far enough down the list that they have a few months before they need to be ready", aside from the obvious "just got on the list" ones.

Plus the polls are more fun anyway and it would eliminate bias towards small/medium games based on the fact that they finish sooner and the game runners farther down the list need that poll as often as possible to have a shot of running any time soon.

I'm starting to think we should ditch the waiting list and just have a ready-to-go poll for all the slots. All the traditional games are ready, 2/3 of Small games are ready, half the large games and just under half of the mediums are ready to go.

That's a reason for getting rid of Ready status though, isn't it? Not for getting rid of the list?

Hell, the only excuse the ones that aren't ready have seems to be "they're far enough down the list that they have a few months before they need to be ready", aside from the obvious "just got on the list" ones.

Well people are being silly then because RW has shown a willingness to bump un-Ready games down the list. I think a bigger problem is the fact that people say they're ready when they aren't (like Ace writing his PMs and deciding his game wasn't going to work after sign-ups had finished.) If you haven't finished preparing your game, it shouldn't be Ready.

Plus the polls are more fun anyway and it would eliminate bias towards small/medium games based on the fact that they finish sooner and the game runners farther down the list need that poll as often as possible to have a shot of running any time soon.

I think the point of the size breakdown has always been to try and control what's running at any given time rather than making sure that we play an exactly equal number of games of each side. I think it's more important that we have a good split of games at any one time than we play an equal number of each kind of game over a certain period of time.

I basically love the list as it stands in almost every way. I think that the Ready check is probably the weakest part of it because people will just Ready things for the sake of it without having finished the planning. The sentiment is right though, if people have their PMs written well in advance and sign-ups get opened just before a game finished then the turnover will be faster and we'll play more games. It also gives people an incentive to plan in advance and that can only help the design when you've got time to mull things over.

EDIT: If we ran all games based on a poll, you know that every game would be run by a big name, a person who relentless shills their game or a person with a great theme but not necessarily a good game (because that's all you can see on a poll.)

Edited by -A-

That's a reason for getting rid of Ready status though, isn't it? Not for getting rid of the list?

Well people are being silly then because RW has shown a willingness to bump un-Ready games down the list. I think a bigger problem is the fact that people say they're ready when they aren't (like Ace writing his PMs and deciding his game wasn't going to work after sign-ups had finished.) If you haven't finished preparing your game, it shouldn't be Ready.

I think the point of the size breakdown has always been to try and control what's running at any given time rather than making sure that we play an exactly equal number of games of each side. I think it's more important that we have a good split of games at any one time than we play an equal number of each kind of game over a certain period of time.

I basically love the list as it stands in almost every way. I think that the Ready check is probably the weakest part of it because people will just Ready things for the sake of it without having finished the planning. The sentiment is right though, if people have their PMs written well in advance and sign-ups get opened just before a game finished then the turnover will be faster and we'll play more games. It also gives people an incentive to plan in advance and that can only help the design when you've got time to mull things over.

EDIT: If we ran all games based on a poll, you know that every game would be run by a big name, a person who relentless shills their game or a person with a great theme but not necessarily a good game (because that's all you can see on a poll.)

This. And I'm not just saying that because my games are and will be unpopular. If we have polls, there's an inherent risk in only a select few running games.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but if we did polls all the time, we'd have a Sousa game every three weeks. I think it's better to leave things as they are.

Agreed. Other gamerunners aren't going to get the chance to actually run games and improve unless they have an incredibly geektacular concept if we make it all polls, it'll just be established names like Sousa, Ruki, and RW more often then not.