Official La Liga Thread

Baddar

For those of us not sucked into the Premier League hype machine - and aren't at Sunderland v Norwich until tomorrow when it will no doubt be windier and colder than tonight - you should tune in to Mirandes of the Segunda B (that's the second division B/third tier) against Athletic Bilbao of 7th in La Liga. It's the first leg Semi Finals of the Copa del Rey and Mirandes are looking to dump out their fourth top division team of the tournament.

If Athletic win the tie they will go on to play Barcelona or Valencia in the final - and will have most likely confirmed their participation in Europe next year regardless of league position. Although they'll be hoping to push for the fourth Champions League spot come the season end.

Oh and the camera angle is so low and close I'm under the impression I might be playing right midfield for Athletic.

Forza Athletic!

2-1 first leg to Athletic Bilbao against neighbours Mirandes. They controlled the first half and two pretty simple goals from Llorente gave them the lead, Mirandes threw everything at them in the second half and I think Athletic just wanted to get out with a comfortable 2-0 win to take back to the San Mames.

Mirandes scored a stoppage time goal, so that puts them back into the match for sure but regardless of if they scored in the home leg they would have at least needed to score two in the away leg so not much remains to be changed there in their gameplan.

That said Athletic should be too much for them at home and a goal will pretty much finish off Mirandes to all intents and purposes, that said Mirandes have refused to give up so far so won't do so in the return leg.

Also I honestly don't think there is a more complete forward in world football right now than Fernando Llorente. I hope he stays at Athletic for the rest of his career.

For anyone watching Valencia v Barcelona tonight, when they're passing around in beautiful triangles, spare a thought to me as I watch Grant Holt hold the ball up in our half. Many thanks. :)

Zaragoza have just got 1-0 up at home to Ray Vallecano with a brilliant strike from Helder Postiga.

However Atletico Madrid v Valencia is the later kick off and has the potential to be a great match. Valencia are the third best team in Spain by quite some distance in both respects but Madrid are looking like a completely different outfit under new manager Diego Simeone. As you would imagine from a Simeone ran team that are hard working and solid, not the flimsy and error-prone Madrid of years past. Hopefully it lives up to it's billing.

• 2 weeks later...

But are now 2-1 down because Messi made it so.

But in the big game of the day, Athletic Bilbao hammered Malaga 3-0 at the San Mames without Martinez or Llorente starting. Walked it.

We were alright as well for 58 minutes.. then we conceded 3 in 3 minutes.

Haven't seen the goals yet but Amorebieta and San Jose both scored so I can only assume your corner defending was absolutely woeful. Malaga are horrid away from home, still a lot of work to be done there.

Athletic up to fourth now ahead of Espanyol. Levante are finally starting to fall, they were fourth nearly all season despite barely having won since December - finally starting to drop but they should still be safe. Still very close for that fourth spot but it looks like its going to be a battle primarily between Athletic and Atletico Madrid, will be interesting to see if Espanyol, Levante, Osasuna, Malaga and even Rayo can remain in contention for long. Perhaps Sevilla will be able to come back into the mix if they can get a run together.

Outside the top three or so the league is quite close and interesting. So you still have some interest aside from watching Barcelona and Real Madrid swot aside everything that comes near them.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2012/02/20/2918464/valencias-ever-banega-out-for-six-months-after-undergoing

Valencia have confirmed that Ever Banega will not play again this season after undergoing surgery on his broken ankle.

The Argentina international was injured in bizarre circumstances on Sunday when he forgot to apply the handbrake to his car while filling it with petrol and then proceeded to get his leg stuck under the vehicle as it began to roll.

Banega suffered a broken fibia and tibia and is now facing six months on the sidelines.

"Ever Banega will be ready for next season," stated Jordi Candel, one of the doctors who operated on the midfielder on Monday.

"The operation was very clean, he has levelled off perfectly and we see no complications. We expect Banega to fully recover and to be able to continue playing high-level sport."

Candel's colleague, Dr. Enrique Gastaldi, who oversaw the operation, was also of the opinion that Banega will be in a position to return to action in August.

"Ever is fine now but will be hospitalised at least two or three days," he explained. "Typically a period of six months recovery is required."

Banega, who has been capped 14 times by his country, arrived at Valencia from Boca Juniors in 2008 and, after initially struggling to settle at Mestalla, he has now established himself as one of the club's best players.