NHL 2K9 / NHL 09

Toe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made my deadline deals with the Leafs. Barring any awesome offers on the last two days, the deadline shuffle looks like this:

In: Jamie Lundmark and Brandon Prust from Calgary... and Jeff Halpern from Tampa Bay.

Out: Marc-Antoine Pouliot to Calgary. Alex Foster and a 1st Round Pick to Tampa Bay.

Pouliot, I picked up on waivers before the Xmas break, and up to the deadline, he's done absolutely nothing on my first line with the Marlies... so he was expendable. Foster has been awesome for me in the AHL, but signing him would cost more than the guys above him would be making, and that breaks my rule of not paying a lesser player more than someone who is better than they are... and with this being the last year of his deal, I figured since I wouldn't be signing him at season's end, he'd might as well be traded.

Lundmark is going to spend some time with the Marlies and see if I can develop some chemistry there with him.

Prust is playing on my 4th line with the Leafs, to add some grit and toughness... and Halpern is anchoring my top line with Hagman and Antropov. I scratched Tlusty for the time being, and the other 3 of my Centermen just shifted down a line from where they were.

I think the pickups I made were pretty good and realistic. Halpern is a guy I could see doing well on a Ron Wilson-coached team. He works hard, he's great at the fundamentals, and he's a key player. Prust is just a bad ass, and Lundmark is a hard working guy who can play 3rd/4th line, but also can step up when he needs to. Plus, he and Halpern are both ace at faceoffs, a category my team has been dreadful with all season.

A first rounder for Halpern, though? I would think you could get him for a third round pick easily.

I find it incredibly hard to deal draft picks in this year's game... which is a welcome change from being able to get a superstar player in exchange for a 2nd and maybe 5th round pick in previous years.

I'm not afraid of getting rid of picks though, because I've found that the draft in the EA series doesn't really do a whole lot. I've never drafted a player who was NHL ready, and if I draft all 5 of my default picks, maybe 1 of them will be worth keeping... and when there's a limit as to how many contracted players you can have, it becomes a pain in the ass to justify dropping guys to make room for your draft picks.

I tried every other pick before using my 1st rounder, and even then, I had to throw in Alex Foster to get the deal done.

Halpern's first game... we win convincingly over the Devils after struggling in our previous five. 5-1 final, and a lot of it came simply from winning faceoffs and controlling the play.

Better when there's only three people playing I think, the AI defenders may be susceptible to the glitch goals but they're usually better positioned. I don't know where our scoring went tonight either, we're usually good for a goal or two per game, even if we do happen to let in three times that.

Edited by AD