NHL 2K9 / NHL 09

Toe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my (very short, im at work) review of the game, three games into my AHL Career in Be a Pro mode.

There are hockey games in the world - but this literally is a game of hockey. The realism is off the charts compared to what im used to. Absolutely phenomenal. Almost justifies the purchase of my entire PS3 console single-handedly.

And the commentary has my name! "Perry has that under him and he'll cover up for the faceoff". I came up out of my chair when I realised 'hey, hey just said Perry!'.

That wasn't a big deal to me. But then again, my last name is Smith, so most games that have any names pronounced pronounce mine :P

I agree it's probably the most realistic hockey game I've ever played. That said, it does have it's flaws...the cpu scores way too easily in BAP. The opposing cpu I mean. They always seem to turn the most unlikely shot (like a slapshot from just inside the zone with nobody screening the goalie...against a 90+ rated goalie) into goals.

Well...that's really my only complaint so far...other than the penalties are probably too rare by default, and some small realism nitpicks, but it's still probably the best hockey game I've ever played. I love scoring with the analog sticks (though sometimes I still pull it back crooked and do the holdaway thing instead of winding a slapshot). I was thinking of getting online and joining a team. I dunno how it's done though....is there a place where people are requesting new players for their team?

I don't think I'd be good enough to play with you guys, even if you'd have me :P

EDIT- Sorry forgot to mention...xbox360. Not sure if it matters to game play...but still.

I'll send you an invite which will appear in your player hub (which is somewhere in the XBOX Live menu, possibly clicking the right stick). What's your tag?

DigitalDeadmeat is my tag. Yeah I know lame...but it fits. Especially for shooters :P I'll be around tomorrow so hopefully I can get into a game then

Edited by jase12881

My first season as a defenseman is over, with Tampa Bay.

Won the Art Ross trophy.

the Hart Memorial trophy.

the Calder Memorial trophy.

the James Norris Memorial trophy.

the Lester B Pearson award.

Holy moly.

We got eliminated in the Conference Finals by Philadelphia in seven games, who went on to win the Stanley Cup in seven against the Canucks.

Philly's roster looked like this:

Left Wing

Simon Gagne

Scott Hartnell

Tony Salmelainen

Center

Mike Richards

Daniel Briere

Jeff Carter

Glenn Metropolit

Jim Dowd

Right Wing

Mike Knuble

Joffrey Lupul

Steve Downie

Scottie Upshall

Kyle Wanvig

Arron Asham

Defense

Steve Eminger

Ossi Vaananen

Kimo Timonen

Braydon Coburn

Randy Jones

Derian Hatcher

Goalie

Martin Biron

Antero Niittymaki

They didn't make very many changes at all. I noticed lots of people complaining about all the changes made during the season, but that's pretty much their roster in real life.

Four offers came through... Tampa Bay wants to re-sign me, but there's also Boston, Detroit and Florida. The Panthers want 4 years, so I scratched them off right away... and I want a change of scenery, so Tampa is out. Boston only has six signed D-men, so I'd probably be the top guy, and I don't want that... so I'm going with Detroit. It's a three year deal, but we'll see what happens.

This is my (very short, im at work) review of the game, three games into my AHL Career in Be a Pro mode.

There are hockey games in the world - but this literally is a game of hockey. The realism is off the charts compared to what im used to. Absolutely phenomenal. Almost justifies the purchase of my entire PS3 console single-handedly.

And the commentary has my name! "Perry has that under him and he'll cover up for the faceoff". I came up out of my chair when I realised 'hey, hey just said Perry!'.

That wasn't a big deal to me. But then again, my last name is Smith, so most games that have any names pronounced pronounce mine :P

I agree it's probably the most realistic hockey game I've ever played. That said, it does have it's flaws...the cpu scores way too easily in BAP. The opposing cpu I mean. They always seem to turn the most unlikely shot (like a slapshot from just inside the zone with nobody screening the goalie...against a 90+ rated goalie) into goals.

Well...that's really my only complaint so far...other than the penalties are probably too rare by default, and some small realism nitpicks, but it's still probably the best hockey game I've ever played. I love scoring with the analog sticks (though sometimes I still pull it back crooked and do the holdaway thing instead of winding a slapshot). I was thinking of getting online and joining a team. I dunno how it's done though....is there a place where people are requesting new players for their team?

I don't think I'd be good enough to play with you guys, even if you'd have me :P

EDIT- Sorry forgot to mention...xbox360. Not sure if it matters to game play...but still.

I'll send you an invite which will appear in your player hub (which is somewhere in the XBOX Live menu, possibly clicking the right stick). What's your tag?

DigitalDeadmeat is my tag. Yeah I know lame...but it fits. Especially for shooters :P I'll be around tomorrow so hopefully I can get into a game then

I have sent the invite. You need to go Live>>Community>>View Player Hub.

I've done the custom music thing Will linked to, and I've ended up sticking with the streaming because I don't fancy burning 15 CDs and recreating 129 playlists. Yet to play a game with it, but it only took about 15 minutes to put all the playlists into the media hub.

Oh, and does anyone have any decent sliders? I usually try a couple of sets from OperationSports.com, but Iw as wondering if anyone had tried any before I go and try like 8 different sets.

Edited by Dragsy

Double post, I don't care. I'm using a slightly adjusted version of mudtiger's All-Star sliders, and it's playing really well, went 2-0 to two Bergeron powerplay goals in my Avs dynasty season opener against the Bruins (utterly awful defending, it wasn't cheap or anything), took one back in the second through Scott Parker, then ten minutes into the third, I'd been peppering the goal, but Fernandez was being a complete wall, then THIS happened. I rarely get defelections, let alone deflection goals, but two in one'll do for me :D

EDIT: Can't upload to SportsWorld right now, I'll edit the link in later. Smytty rules.

Edited by Dragsy

I assume by "when THIS happened" you meant to link to a vid or something.

Curse you and your ninja edit timing!

Also, I just got this off eBay so hopefully I'll get it a day or so after my 360 comes home. Which will be your cue to go out and buy Saints Row II next week and Fable II after that and to not play this any more <_<

Edited by oldskool

Shit, I had no idea sliders made such a difference, Before I changed the sliders I was struggling to keep up with the Hurricanes in my dynasty and after using THESE sliders, I'm up 4-0 with 16:32 left in the 3rd, I'm bumping myself up to All Star after this game, I never thought I'd be that good to play on All-Star, Guess it was the sliders *Shrug*

If you guys are playing soon, Just let me know on xbox messaging and I'll come in.

Playing goalie is harder than I expected it to be.

We were blown out 8-2 in my first game as Marlies goaltender.

Second game now, and I'm doing much better already, but I wasn't expecting it to be the way it is. Maybe it's the controls being so simplistic that threw me off.

For what team? I assume Colorado?

oh and Giggy is a god damned idiot, Proof - http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/1052160, I also had a great goal from Kunitz, Set up by Getzlaf but it's not working on the EA Site, Shame, 0-2 down middle of the 2nd against Toronto, One came off both posts and the other one is in that video, Still, I'm liking these sliders so far.

Forbidden Love, NHL 09 style.

When you score, the goalscorer and the assistees all have a manly hug to celebrate their awesomeness.

While the moment itself was sadly not captured by our cameras, we can confirm that the following sequence triggered some friendly moments between a teammate of mine and this doofus:

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/1064963