NHL 2K9 / NHL 09

Toe

This is my (very short, im at work) review of the game, three games into my AHL Career in Be a Pro mode.

There are hockey games in the world - but this literally is a game of hockey. The realism is off the charts compared to what im used to. Absolutely phenomenal. Almost justifies the purchase of my entire PS3 console single-handedly.

And the commentary has my name! "Perry has that under him and he'll cover up for the faceoff". I came up out of my chair when I realised 'hey, hey just said Perry!'.

That wasn't a big deal to me. But then again, my last name is Smith, so most games that have any names pronounced pronounce mine :P

I agree it's probably the most realistic hockey game I've ever played. That said, it does have it's flaws...the cpu scores way too easily in BAP. The opposing cpu I mean. They always seem to turn the most unlikely shot (like a slapshot from just inside the zone with nobody screening the goalie...against a 90+ rated goalie) into goals.

Well...that's really my only complaint so far...other than the penalties are probably too rare by default, and some small realism nitpicks, but it's still probably the best hockey game I've ever played. I love scoring with the analog sticks (though sometimes I still pull it back crooked and do the holdaway thing instead of winding a slapshot). I was thinking of getting online and joining a team. I dunno how it's done though....is there a place where people are requesting new players for their team?

I don't think I'd be good enough to play with you guys, even if you'd have me :P

EDIT- Sorry forgot to mention...xbox360. Not sure if it matters to game play...but still.

Edited by jase12881

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( Perry isn't exactly a common surname so it was exciting to me dammit.

But then again, thank you Corey Perry!

If you're talking PS3, We'll take anyone. It looks like it's me, rvdwannabe and I think Jstarr set something up a while ago. I baggsies the goalie though, i'm terrible at the rest of the game and i'm at least mediocre-to-competent at goaltender.

This is my (very short, im at work) review of the game, three games into my AHL Career in Be a Pro mode.

There are hockey games in the world - but this literally is a game of hockey. The realism is off the charts compared to what im used to. Absolutely phenomenal. Almost justifies the purchase of my entire PS3 console single-handedly.

And the commentary has my name! "Perry has that under him and he'll cover up for the faceoff". I came up out of my chair when I realised 'hey, hey just said Perry!'.

That wasn't a big deal to me. But then again, my last name is Smith, so most games that have any names pronounced pronounce mine :P

I agree it's probably the most realistic hockey game I've ever played. That said, it does have it's flaws...the cpu scores way too easily in BAP. The opposing cpu I mean. They always seem to turn the most unlikely shot (like a slapshot from just inside the zone with nobody screening the goalie...against a 90+ rated goalie) into goals.

Well...that's really my only complaint so far...other than the penalties are probably too rare by default, and some small realism nitpicks, but it's still probably the best hockey game I've ever played. I love scoring with the analog sticks (though sometimes I still pull it back crooked and do the holdaway thing instead of winding a slapshot). I was thinking of getting online and joining a team. I dunno how it's done though....is there a place where people are requesting new players for their team?

I don't think I'd be good enough to play with you guys, even if you'd have me :P

In Bold: Same

The Rest: Agreed

:( Perry isn't exactly a common surname so it was exciting to me dammit.

But then again, thank you Corey Perry!

If you're talking PS3, We'll take anyone. It looks like it's me, rvdwannabe and I think Jstarr set something up a while ago. I baggsies the goalie though, i'm terrible at the rest of the game and i'm at least mediocre-to-competent at goaltender.

I am a right winger....not that I am any good at it, but I can occasionally put the puck in the net, and am pretty good on the forecheck from time to time.

EDIT: Not the greatest goal, but just wanted to test out the actual uploading replay thing. Still, it's one of the rare times where everything actually synched up between what I wanted to do and what actually happened >_>

Edited by rvdwannabe

Just finished playing against Plubby, losing 1-0 to him as Colorado with me as Pittsburgh. To be honest, between the two of us it was probably one of the worst games I played in, as neither of us seemed to play well at all. I had about 35 chances to score and didn't come close once, whilst Plubby scored early in the 1st period and never really looked like scoring again.

That game was just overwhelming evidence that I don't belong anywhere other than in the crease, I fucking SUCK at the skating element of this game. Constantly missing checks, unable to get my Right-stick movements in the right order to shoot, can't dodge checks, passing sucked, wasn't aiming shots. rvdwannabe didn't deserve that, he outplayed me all over the ice and Budaj stole the game from underneath him.

How can they have Stahl and not Steel?

Because there are three (that I know of, I don't know who the other one plays for) Staal's in the game. Eric, Jordan & Marc. No one called Steel.

And Plubby, why were you surprised, don't you get to choose the name you're called by when creating your player? >_>

That game was just overwhelming evidence that I don't belong anywhere other than in the crease, I fucking SUCK at the skating element of this game. Constantly missing checks, unable to get my Right-stick movements in the right order to shoot, can't dodge checks, passing sucked, wasn't aiming shots. rvdwannabe didn't deserve that, he outplayed me all over the ice and Budaj stole the game from underneath him.

To be honest, it was my first actual proper game on there, since I've just been playing BAP since I got it.

Next time, I'll stuff you >_>

Thinking about it actually, it may not come up when you're forced to create a player when you first load up the game but if you go back to edit him you can change it then I think.
It does it automatically if you enter a last name with a valid play-by-play name, It did when I changed my name from Matt Smith to Kevin Nash to Matthew Smith.

Plubs and Liam, I went ahead and disbanded the club I had created, but if you're still up for it, I'll re-create and invite you both on as co-GM's.

The big question is, are either of you on the EA forums or anywhere that we might find a few more players?

I'll be lining up at defense, so I'll try not to let too many shots by. Can't promise much, though. In my first four games with Tampa Bay (all losses, BTW), I had a -7. Of course, it didn't help that in those 4 games, we only scored 6 goals, and one of those was mine.

EDIT- Sorry forgot to mention...xbox360. Not sure if it matters to game play...but still.

I'll send you an invite which will appear in your player hub (which is somewhere in the XBOX Live menu, possibly clicking the right stick). What's your tag?

What's important, is that the reply clearly shows my pass. >_<

That was a sweet pass, it's a strategy that seems to work well, getting into the corners and finding the pass to the slot.

Regarding commentary, my guy is named Steel as I wanted to differentiate between my online and offline personas, for some reason they've taken out Dawson from the list of commentary names, which is gay. I could go with either Steen or Dawes as they're the closest options, but it's kind of jarring, at least Ryan actually appears in my name.