House of the Dead: Overkill

Maxx

http://wii.ign.com/articles/899/899925p1.html

New House of the Dead game for the Wii, which is seemingly inspired by Grindhouse and full of 70's sleeze. Trailer looks spectacular and sets the mood I hope the game will have throughout.

Oh... my... God, that's amazing.

First off, it's a House of the Dead game that actually looks cool rather than "we're all scientists in this science lab, let's go shoot some zombies!"

Secondly, it's a third-party developer working on a Wii game!

Say what you will, it's still going to be a House Of The Dead game... which means most likely that it's going to be cool the first time you play it.. and then you're never going to look at it again. I don't know why they are seriously trying to bring that particular franchise back, but eh. All the power to them I guess... I'm not kicking myself for getting rid of the Wii though.

I don't know why they are seriously trying to bring that particular franchise back

It's never gone anywhere... there was a new House of the Dead released in arcades less than two years ago. And I'm pretty sure House of the Dead 2 & 3 sold moderately well on the Wii earlier this year for a bargain price. And there's nothing wrong with a one-time play-through game, not every game needs to be an 80 hour investment.

I just don't see the point in paying 50 plus dollars for something that you're going to use once, and then it's old news... something else that makes this worse is the linear nature. Okay, well I am assuming that they're going to throw in a few "go left" or "go right" segments just for the hell of it... but eh. I suppose it's going to appeal to some people... but Dragsy talking about getting a Wii for it just made my brain hurt. >_<

It's mindless fun, what's wrong with that? The arcade series has been excellent (especially with a few drinks in first). It's the same reason people watch the shitty horror movies Overkill is based on.

I'm never actually going to buy a console for one game, but this one of the few games that has actually made me want to have a Wii.

It's not a true House of the Dead game if it doesn't have SUFFER LIKE G DID?

Fixed.

Anyway, the thing about HOTD games is that it's designed for Arcade play, where you're basically trying to see how far you can go with a single quarter. Still, as long as they make a decent game, I'll probably get it for the co-op alone.