UEFA Champions League 08/09

But surely that's why they pick those pundits. They wouldn't go and ask David Seaman to be a pundit for the United match because he isn't giving you the United viewpoint.

And quite frankly why would they do balanced views for european matchs? They want to see the English team progress as most English people do.

They're picked because apparently: A) they appeal to the fans of the club and B) they're knowledgable about the club.

I mean, by your logic they might as well turn up in club shirts.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're just nitpicking. There are few impartial pundits, all have an agenda of some sort.

And I don't see what is wrong with Teddy being a pundit for a European match in which most people watching will want to hear about Man United and most will also be fans of United. The commentators meanwhile should be more impartial but eh it's a European tie and they're English what do you expect.

Edited by Sam

For anyone that wants to see how hysterical and over the top football journalism has got, switch over to Sky Sports News. A couple of bookies have suspended betting on Rafa leaving Liverpool, so SSN have gone over to a journalist in Madrid. Apparantly his sources have told him:

Training was taken by Rafa as normal

They'll be going for their pre-match meal as normal

Everything else will be business as usual

Fucking hell.

For anyone that wants to see how hysterical and over the top football journalism has got, switch over to Sky Sports News. A couple of bookies have suspended betting on Rafa leaving Liverpool, so SSN have gone over to a journalist in Madrid. Apparantly his sources have told him:

Fucking hell.

Shocking actions. I bet he'll be picking the team too!

Cant see Liverpool ever losing this Madrid tie (Over two legs that is). I still don't rate Madrid that highly and haven't done for a while now. There's no douht they're still a huge club, but I'll be shocked if Liverpool don't progress.

Looking forward mostly to Chelsea/Juve tonight, hopefully it'll be a great game. Del Piero wonder freekick for a 0-1 result would make me happy, although I'm leaning towards Chelsea leaving with a one or two goal advantage going into the next game. Should be an emotional night for.

I think Real Madrid are going to be a handful tonight, I've been catching stuff of them from La Liga and they're comically raping everyone in their way from what I've seen. I reckon Liverpool will be in for a tough match but obviously if they keep it close then they're going to be in a good position come Anfield, but Real Madrid are the form team in the world and we all know about Liverpool's domestic drawing ways, of course, Liverpool will be the first to tell you that domestic form doesn't matter in Europe.

Will be watching Real Madrid vs. Liverpool, I'm pretty down the middle in this match and the Chelsea match. I'd like to see the English teams progress but I'm a big admirer of the Spanish and Italian giants on show tonight so I'll probably be pretty impartial, I just feel the Madrid/Liverpool match will be a bit more flowing and fun (mainly due to the lack of Chelsea <_<) and it's got all the hype factor of Benitez and Real Madrid. Whereas Chelsea are just playing against one of their former managers, which is probably quite common these days the way they go through them.

Go football!

Fucking hell.

Shocking actions. I bet he'll be picking the team too!

And he'll be in the dugout!

The bastard.

Rafael Benitez has walked out...

of the tunnel and onto the pitch.

I want them to cut to him on the bench at some point just sitting and watching and a comment of "Benitez looking disinterested now, further fuelling speculation that this could be his last match as Liverpool manager." I also want more talk of him going to Real Madrid, despite Juande Ramos doing a great job with them at the moment.

It sums it up when a smurf scores. It's been such a depressing match to watch. When you get to this stage in this competition you expect something more of the teams, Liverpool were always going to come and defend and Real Madrid's complete lack of imagination has screwed them over. There's zero penetration, Robben has looked exactly like a player coming back from injury - the talents all there but the final touches aren't.

Hopefully this leads to Gabriel Heinze's dismassal from the team though. He's a terrible, terrible player with no concept of defensive tactics and just no common sense based off that 'challenge' on Kuyt. Seeing him play these last few weeks has been quite depressing, not only is he a bad player but his antics are awful and he spends most of the match on the floor. I've been so disappointed in Real Madrid's inability to showcase their talent, but lets hope when it comes to Anfield that Real Madrid bring their A-game and make a go of it, moreso than they have today because it's been a dull game to watch - not what I was expecting.

Still... a long way to go and anything can happen, but looking good for the English teams so far. So that's a good sign I guess. :)

Edited by IAceI

Never speak ill of Yossi Benayoun again, Liverpool fans!

:o

I will always and forever love Yossi. Recently he's been playing really well too.

On another site I post on I was mocked by the Liverpool thread for praising Yossi. I wasn't even being mindlessly fanboyish, the question was 'apart from Gerrard and Torres, do Liverpool have anyone that can really change a game?' and I said Yossi. No, I know he's not remotely on the same level as them and I'm not even suggesting he's Liverpool's 3rd best player because guys like Reina, Mascherano and Alonso are all up there, they just don't score crucial goals or make crucial runs as often as Benayoun.