Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

I think the guy that pushed Fagan was Bassong. That rather annoyed me when I watched it back. Fagan's just been kicked for no reason, so what does Bassong do? Pushes him.

Eugh, some footballers really are knobs.

Reminds me of something I read about Bob Mortimer. He tried go to a West Brom game without a ticket and he said to to one of the stewards outside "Come on, let me in. I'll do a half time draw or something". And the steward says back to "Who the fuck are you?"

I defended Bartons challenge on Nasri a few pages back as it was a perfectly fair tackle. I'm not going to do the same for Guthrie, although I am pleased he's not going to miss any additional games, thanks to our 'no sensible transfers' transfer policy we need all the players we can get in the ground. It was Bassong, and I've really no problem with him defending Guthrie from a rabid Craig Fagan, at least he didn't attack him like a top 4 vulture squadron.

My own personal take on it was that Guthrie was trying to make himself a cult crowd favourite early on, and got a little confused. The train of thought of Danny Guthrie in the seconds leading up looks like this...

Cockney Mafia Out => Organised crime in London => 'Got to pick a pocket or two' => Fagan => Hoof!

I think IAceI's problem may be that someone is actually having a different point of view to blaming all the clubs problems on the fans, diverting the issue to 'the fans want to win the Champions League this season! Theres no pleasing them!'. We've had a million people criticising everyone but Ashley, finally a fellow chairman has pointed out that appointing your mates rather than someone with top flight experience is not a good idea.

Edited by Colly

It's more the fact he seems to have just randomly decided to tell the media what he thinks for no real apparent reason other than JJB and Sports World are competitors so they probably don't like each other.

People are talking about it, but people are generally mentioning it as an afterthought. Like on MotD or something like that, they're giving their opinions when discussing the Newcastle match or whatever. Whereas it seems Whelan's decided to talk to the media for no other reason than to give Ashley some stick.

That's how I see it.

When Eduardo broke his leg, there was a lot of talk about bans being given due to the nature of the challenge, as well as any injury that the injury caused. With the Eduardo challenge, I though that kinda talk was harsh, as the challenge was mistimed rather than malicious, but in this case, I can see why people talk about this kinda idea, since Guthrie definitely deserves more for what he did. Its disproportionate, as he only get 3 games for putting someone else out for 8 weeks.

And Martin Taylor's 3 match ban compared to Eduaro's EIGHT MONTH absence is proportionate!? And Taylor tackled lunged at Eduardo in the THIRD MINUTE of the game. There is no need, regardless of timing, to be diving in on a player 35 yards from goal, in the third minute of a football game.

Whiny Arsenal fan ITT

He was asked about the situation in an interview by Sky.

He also said that he'd warned Ashley against buying Newcastle.

And with rumours that Bruce might go there, the chairman is the logicial choice to be interviewed about it. Barring Bruce, of course if Ace likes it or not.

New postPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:22 am Post subject: roy keane - managerial genius? Reply with quote

75 million spent

not inc wage bill

just for survival

has he made a decent signing?

Posted on another forum and even though I found it a bit harsh on Keane it is a hell of alot of money just to be plodding around lower mid-table compared to teams around Sunderland's level and I can't think of many out-going signings that would have re-filled the pot.

At least Spurs won something and are in Europe. But yes I have no like of you lot so you could quite happily disappear down the trapdoor for me. :P

Sunderland won't go down I don't think or anything but they really have dwarfed clubs of similar standing by their spending and not really kicked on yet although the season is still young.