Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

Wow, watching the City-Newcastle game on MOTD... this referee isn't having a good day.

Also, I love Jussi. Even if he wasn't Finnish and even if he didn't have one of the best names ever, he'd still be awesome. So, he's just given away a penalty. A penalty which Blackburn matey was asking for, if you ask me. He poked the ball miles away, and then carried on running. Didn't even make an attempt to avoid Jussi, who was 100% committed to getting the ball (which he only failed to do because of the earlier toepoke. It's not like he was nowhere near it). Then celebrated the penalty decision, which always pisses me off. So yeah... not arguing with the decision, I guess you could say it was a clear cut penalty since Blackburn were at home. Just slightly annoyed that those types of decisions are always given. Yes, Jussi brought the guy down, but not on purpose. The player poked the ball past him, then totally failed to avoid Jussi (who was already there on the ground way before the Blackburn player arrived at him). He knew he'd fucked it up, and rather than jump over the keeper, who was only doing his job, he bundled into him and won a penalty. Pisses me off.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is Jussi being hardcore: He saves the penalty, gets booted in the shoulder (fairly) by a Blackburn striker going for the rebound, then clutches it to his chest and gets annihilated by his own team mate kicking him in the head. Then they mob the poor bastard to say well done. Then he gets up, staggers around a bit, and he's all "fuck off, the ball's still in play you idiots" and hoofs it away. This is why he's always in my fantasy team despite playing for Bolton. It's also probably why I never win anything.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Would Andy Cole be one of those players who got goals for 6 different clubs? You've got Newcastle, Man U, Fulham, Man City, Pompey and Sunderland.

Cole never scored for us unfortunately.

EDIT: But you could replace Sunderland with Blackburn.

And a quick bit of research may have him eligible for a goal scored on loan at Birmingham? EDIT 2: Flawed research, slightly "less quick" research shows it was a Championship goal. Wasn't sure which league they were in at that point <_<

Edited by IAceI

Newcastle are screwed.

Two points off bottom, Given leaving, Owen out for eight weeks, that scumbag Barton out for ten.....

Not looking good at all.

:(

Our only hope is that the Given transfer gets us a player or two, I don't see us willing to spend any more money this transfer window.

For me it's between Hull, Newcastle and Boro to see who joins Stoke and West Brom in the relegation places. Everyone else around the relegation places just have too much quality. Although Pompey could run them close. But yeah I hope it's Boro that go down, as I can't stand them :shifty:

I don't think Stoke and WBA will both go down, WBA have looked a different team these past few weeks (Tuesday aside) and for some reason I can see Stoke being one of those teams that avoids relegation in stoppage time on the last day.

Hull have shown recently that they're a confidence team, they're doing brilliantly when up near the top of the table.. .but I see them collapsing in form near the bottom.

Saying that, I've accepted relegation, the club needs a huge fucking overhaul and that was never going to be sorted in a season or two. Relegation will hopefully make a few fans see sense that we're not a European team and we need to get the groundwork down first before we have any hope of challenging for the top half of the table.

Edit: at least this season we won't get Carlisle fans saying they'll see us in the Championship <_<

Edited by The General