Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

I think it's fair to say that Sbragia's job's secured for the end of the season.

He's just took the players he has and won three in a row, Keane may well have known quality but he had no idea how to use it.

It's annoying to see Allerdyce starting so well, even more so because I never assumed he was going to go from Newcastle (I'm either extremely gullible or an idiot because even though we were completely fucked in regards to European competitions, he was sacked because of a nothing cup game against a strong Championship team >_< )

But it's great to see what happens again when you have a quality manager coming in exchange for an absolutely shit one, Hodgeson did it last season to an amazing degree.

Venables made a point today of Villa shouldn't see it as getting the fourth spot, they should believe they can win the title. I know it's hard to believe it'll happen, but he's dead on right that now is a better time than ever with the top four having dropped more points than usual. I'm not saying they're going to win it, but fuck I really would love to see them keep up this great run and at least threaten those top teams.

Hopefully Arsenal to win tomorrow, need to see Liverpool drop some points (Y)

If they keep the momentum up there's nothing really stopping them from doing what Tottenham, Leeds and Newcastle used to do and end up in the title race until the last week or so.

Statistically they probably have a worse first team squad than the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United (I'm really not that sure about Arsenal ATM), yet for a starting 11 it's one of the top in the league. As long as they don't get too fatigued or injured they could easily go ahead of rotation policy Liverpool, a Manchester United that struggles to know which of it's three strikers to use, or a Chelsea that has a LOL of a fortress.

Plus, think of what O'Neil could do with Champions League status... keep his players would be one great thing, make the team more of a Barcelona style charitable club would be another, becoming the future England team would be another.

My theory into West Brom's poor season is Mowbray lacks a "thing."

You'll never see Phil Brown on the touchline without his X-Box Live-esque headset and bellowing instructions at people. Nor will you see Pulis without his baseball cap on.

I feel if Mowbray is to find his own little "thing" then maybe West Brom's luck will change. Perhaps a large gold necklace, sunglasses, assassin type leather gloves. I don't know, leave it to your imagination but maybe if he does he'll get some of the success of Pulis and Brown.

Who is this self-righteous prick commentating on Hull Sunderland on MOTD? Seemingly determined to christen Richardson's strike as an own goal. I mean, it probably was, but what a douche anyway.

In this day and age I don't understand why everyone's so bloody quick to label it an own goal. To me, if the shot's on target regardless of deflections then the striker should be given the benefit of the doubt and the goal. It's not as if the defender wants the honour.

Pleased for Sunderland anyway, 4-1 away from home, great for them.

I've always been under the impression that it was the case of if the shot was on target then it's their goal. But that's being classed as an own goal, and I kinda agree. So God knows what my belief on the situation is now.

Either way Malbranque, Cisse and Jones ran the show there. And so did Reid earlier on. Which is what we needed, our best players to mesh. Still so pleased we signed Malbranque at the start of the season. Chimbonda's pointless signing was almost worth it because he persuaded Steed to come up and look, and he then decided that he wanted to join us.

As for the commentator, I believe it was.. Alan Wilson, perhaps?

Edited by IAceI