Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

I thought the table didn't really matter until Christmas? That's the unwritten rule for the relegation battle anyway. Of course with teams like Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool it matters early because they have a habit of winning about 10 games in a row and it's difficult to catch them up <_<

In other news, Spurs have unveiled plans for a new 60,000 seater stadium that will be built on the same site as the current one. They plan to apply for planning permission in 2009. About time, many people see Spurs as one of the biggest clubs in England and yet there's something like 10 or 11 teams that have bigger stadiums than us in the Premier League.

The new stadium is going to be built adjacent to White Hart Lane, right? Will they be able to build it whilst still using WHL or or will there need to be a ground share at some point? Can't see anything in the Sky Sports article. They have confirmed that they'll be selling the naming rights, though.

many people see Spurs as one of the biggest clubs in England and yet there's something like 10 or 11 teams that have bigger stadiums than us in the Premier League.

All 10 or 11 are above you in the standings though.

You don't classify the 'big clubs' as the ones that finish the highest in the league, you classify them by fan base, history and just the overall stature of the club. If Hull finish above Spurs this season, does it make them a bigger club? No.

The new stadium is going to be built adjacent to White Hart Lane, right? Will they be able to build it whilst still using WHL or or will there need to be a ground share at some point? Can't see anything in the Sky Sports article. They have confirmed that they'll be selling the naming rights, though.

Well there were talks about that before but I haven't heard anything for a while. Last I read a ground share with West Ham was one idea being thrown out there, we'd have to toss a pretty please, a cherry and lots of hundreds and thousands on top though :shifty:

There was also talk about us using Wembley for some of our bigger games, but I'm not sure how realistic an idea that is.

The BBC article merely uses the phrase

"Other sites were considered but ultimately it was decided their current location, plus land adjacent to it, was the most suitable option."

which I would imagine means building on top of where the current stadium is. There was no word about its effect on where games might be played in the meantime, though.

Edited by stokeriño

So my Sports Information instructor gave us an assignment where we have to write game notes for this week's Premiership matches.

I'm supposed to do notes for West Bromwich Albion, yet I know jack shit about them or any of the other teams in the Premier League. Are there any sites that I could go to that would give me a basic understanding of the team and it's players?

I've looked up the official team site and their Wikipedia page and I'm still lost. They apparently haven't been very good lately but that's all I can tell. Also their manager kinda looks like Popeye, but that's as far as I've gotten.

So my Sports Information instructor gave us an assignment where we have to write game notes for this week's Premiership matches.

I'm supposed to do notes for West Bromwich Albion, yet I know jack shit about them or any of the other teams in the Premier League. Are there any sites that I could go to that would give me a basic understanding of the team and it's players?

I've looked up the official team site and their Wikipedia page and I'm still lost. They apparently haven't been very good lately but that's all I can tell. Also their manager kinda looks like Popeye, but that's as far as I've gotten.

They haven't been particularly bad recently. In the last five or six years they've been bouncing around between the Premier League and the Championship, only managed to stay up for two consecutive seasons the once. They kicked ass in the Championship last year, scored (I think) the most amount of goals of any football league team and won the title, getting promotion back up to the EPL after a couple of years absence (they lost in the promotion playoffs to Derby the year before).

This season they're 16th in the league but were mid-table before a couple of losses in a row. The manager Tony Mowbray likes them to play attractive football, that's what worked so well for them last season and so far it's been decent enough for them in the Premier League although they may fall short when they need to scrap out a result because they like to play pretty ball. Target this season is simply to avoid relegation but do so playing their style of football, they don't want to be dragged into scrappy relegation battle matches.

Star players include Ishmael Miller (striker, came up through Man City's academy I think), Chris Brunt (Northern Ireland international midfielder), Jonathan Greening (former Man Utd midfielder) and Scott Carson (England international goalkeeper, formerly of Liverpool where he was loaned out to Charlton and Aston Villa).

And yes, Mowbray does look like Popeye. For one of the funniest clips from last season, watch him do his car impression during an interview.

I'm sure 9 to 5 or RW can give you some information on their opponent this week, Blackburn.

Edited by AD

That's it. I blanked, but I am in class so whatever.

So is the thing about moving away would result in Chelsea having to change their name true?

I don't know, but I don't really see why. Stamford Bridge isn't even in the borough of Chelsea, it's in Fulham.