Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

Meh I still stand by the fact that there's NO WAY we're going down, but we'll probably end up sucking it up in 11th, 12th or 13th again.

Whoo? :shifty:

Darren Bent just needs to remember that he used to be a good goalscorer all that long time ago back in.....preseason.

Newcastle, however, ARE in turmoil. I kinda worry for them actually.

Stoke are definitely going down I think so it's two other teams to go with them.

Because pre-season games against anyone mean EVERYTHING.

OH MY GOD THE RAIDERS WENT 4-0 IN PRE-SEASON. SUPER BOWL CHAAAAAA...oh wait the season started. Fuck.

When did anyone say pre-season games meant anything? CSAMH was just correcting The General on what teams Bent scored against.

I think Ramos has to take a lot of the blame for Bent not scoring, he keeps playing 4-5-1 when it clearly doesn't work with either of our two strikers up on their own.

And Cluj didn't beat Roma 5-0, so shush >_>

OH MY GOD THE RAIDERS WENT 4-0 IN PRE-SEASON. SUPER BOWL CHAAAAAA...oh wait the season started. Fuck.

When did anyone say pre-season games meant anything? CSAMH was just correcting The General on what teams Bent scored against.

I think Ramos has to take a lot of the blame for Bent not scoring, he keeps playing 4-5-1 when it clearly doesn't work with either of our two strikers up on their own.

No but Man Utd beat them 7-1

Meh I still stand by the fact that there's NO WAY we're going down, but we'll probably end up sucking it up in 11th, 12th or 13th again.

Whoo? :shifty:

Darren Bent just needs to remember that he used to be a good goalscorer all that long time ago back in.....preseason.

Newcastle, however, ARE in turmoil. I kinda worry for them actually.

Stoke are definitely going down I think so it's two other teams to go with them.

Meh, off the pitch Newcastle are always in turmoil. On the pitch we just need Gutierrez, Barton and one or more full backs back and we'll be back to normal yoyo eventual midtable mediocrity. Spurs on the other hand don't have two strikers that can play alongside each other, no defensive ability in a 5 man midfield and a centre back pairing that are lucky to manage 10 games a season.

No but Man Utd beat them 7-1

Congratulations, you missed the point. Good job.

Spurs on the other hand don't have two strikers that can play alongside each other, no defensive ability in a 5 man midfield and a centre back pairing that are lucky to manage 10 games a season.

And that's the team you lost to at home last week :P

I wouldn't say Spurs are in 'turmoil', though. It's simply a case of finding the right formation and personnel. You can't expect the team to bounce back without any downside from the sales of arguably our best three players last season in Keane, Berbatov and Malbranque. The striker point in particular is unbelievably unfair, you think Pavlyuchenko and Bent are just going to gel straight away and bang in as many goals as Keane & Berbs did? Don't be stupid. Ramos hasn't even given them much of a chance with his insistence of playing a 4-5-1 which isn't helped by the fact we don't have a back-up striker if we play two up front.

Hammy made it sound like it was meaningful that he scored against these clubs.

No, but he WAS scoring. Preseason friendlies build momentum. You can't take them to show how you will do that season but they're normally good for strikers and new goalkeepers if nothing else.

As far as defenders go, Dawson and Woodgate were excellent on Sunday. Assou-Ekotto's inclusion totally puzzles me...as in his inclusion in our SQUAD let alone team.

Zokora played the defensive role well until he was taken off and then it fell to O'Hara who can't play defensive midfield. It makes him totally defensive minded (all his passes were backwards) and he's not big enough or strong enough. He's better out on the left.

I think we need to start playing 2 up front or at least put Jenas in a free role behind the front man.