Madden '09

Cactus Drags

I'd understand that stance if franchise was really anything than an excuse for you to play a bunch of games in a row. I'm probably being overly harsh, but I've mentioned before, other then player acquisitions, the offseason stuff doesn't really feel like it does anything, adding coaches, mucking around with their tendecy sliders etc. has never really made a difference when it comes to actual games. Hell, the player management stuff, making captains and resorting contracts doesn't really have an effect in my opinion. To be honest, I don't really mind that, as it's never going to be as in-depth as a dedicated game would. What feels like a slap in the face is when they bring in stuff likes couting last year, which did absolutely fuck all (loved the idea though), and front office "mode". It actually says in the manual:

Take charge and leave your imprint on your favourite organisation in the all-new Front Office Mode. You are in charge of the organisation's finances, staff, stadium, and scouting players. See if your leadership can turn the organisation into a championship contender.

Last year, that amounted to a series of pie-charts, with no options or anything. So far, this year is exactly the same. I've only finished preseason, so if this changes and you get to do all sorts of front officey stuff, I apologise, but otherwise, EA are outright fucking lying and getting away with it.

It's a good job the game actually plays well, if it were anything like the near-abortion of last year's effort, I'd be sending off a shitload of angry e-mails/phone-calls/firebombs.

EDIT: Obviously that was a response to The Cool One, I forgot to quote <_<

Edited by Dragsy

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd understand that stance if franchise was really anything than an excuse for you to play a bunch of games in a row. I'm probably being overly harsh, but I've mentioned before, other then player acquisitions, the offseason stuff doesn't really feel like it does anything, adding coaches, mucking around with their tendecy sliders etc. has never really made a difference when it comes to actual games. Hell, the player management stuff, making captains and resorting contracts doesn't really have an effect in my opinion. To be honest, I don't really mind that, as it's never going to be as in-depth as a dedicated game would. What feels like a slap in the face is when they bring in stuff likes couting last year, which did absolutely fuck all (loved the idea though), and front office "mode". It actually says in the manual:

Take charge and leave your imprint on your favourite organisation in the all-new Front Office Mode. You are in charge of the organisation's finances, staff, stadium, and scouting players. See if your leadership can turn the organisation into a championship contender.

Did you get the Collector's Edition? NFL Head Coach blows franchise mode out of the water. Interesting thing is that Head Coach doesn't come out for another month unless you get them together in the 20th Anniversary Edition.

Oh fucking hell, it's been covered like twice in the thread already, I can't get it, I'm English. And that doesn't change the fact that EA are touting a series of pie charts as a full on game mode.

Franchsie update, having struggled in preseason, I fully expected to get my ass handed to me against the Colts in the opener. But Neckbeard prevailed, completing 90% of his passes, and connecting with rookie Earl Bennet for a 38 yard TD, giving him a 143ish passer rating. Final score 20-3 (H)

Edited by Dragsy

After my first season, imported my NCAA draft class..tried to get ssome of my former PSU players..only got WR Deon Butler..81ovr as a rookie with a 94 speed, and kicker Kevin Kelly, 54ovr...need to work on him a little bit..only an 81 kick strength. Also drafted James Laurinaitis to compete with Stewart Bradly as my starting MLB.

Oh yea..and in free agency..got Chad Johnson..McNabb to Ocho Cinco is going to be nasty...already had 3 TDs with him in a preseason game. the speed of my wideouts (96 for CJ, 96 for Kevin Curtis, 97 for D-Jax, 94 for Butler and 93 for Greg Lewis) should give me some good downfield threats

I finished pre-season 3-1 with Dallas, comfortably beat San Diego, squeaked by Denver & Minnesota and got humilated 35-13 by Houston <_<

I'm now weighing up my options for a back-up quarterback in free agency because Brad Johnson is out for 3 weeks with an abdominal tear. I'm thinking Pennington or Leftwich. Neither will get to play probably, but still >_>

Playing Franchise and simming the games seems kind of pointless to me, but meh, different strokes. As for progression there's a bit of a debate raging. There was an IGN article showing a pretty decent progression/regression system, but a lot of people seem to be reporting that no one seems to progress. This seems especially true if you edit a player for whatever reason. One suggestion is that overall ratings don't change dramatically, but rather particular attributes depending on gameplay. So I guess it could be possible that because you didn't actually play, the progression doesn't work properly, but that's presuming the theory is correct.

Actually, I don't sim every season, just the first one. I like to have a team that I made a difference to playing. Sure, I could play with the default roster, but that feels like playing 16 "Play Now" games to me. Also, as I'm not very good at the game, i have a hard time finding a difficulty level that let's me play a balanced game. Generally either I either crush the computer (which hasn't happened in 09 yet because I'm still getting used to the controls) or the computer absolutely blows me out. I guess I need to mess with the different sliders and difficulty settings until I find something that's competitive.

Of course, considering I play as the Lions, maybe every team SHOULD blow me out.

Oh, and also...looking back...It appears a couple players did gain a little. Stanton actually went up 3 points....but Kevin Smith didn't go up at all (not even a single stat) in spite of the fact that he rushed for 900+ yards (I think he was at 990) and winning rookie of the year. Calvin Johnson didn't improve at all (of course he starts at an overrated 91. Pretty good for a kid who hasn't made much of an impact at the NFL level yet.) Jordan Dizon, Gosder Cherilus...neither of them improved a single stat. I guess maybe I should have the rookies doing the training drills.

Additionally...this is new to me...but it was in 08. Has anyone gotten a good 40 time for their superstar in superstar mode?

Lots of people can apparently do it in the mini games mode (I actually got a 4.08 in minigames mode with the Lions on all madden), but in superstar mode it seems a lot harder...the best I got was 4.41 which gave my (supposedly scat) running back 92 speed.

I've resorted to just creating the player how I want him as a rookie and just playing it that way, but it doesn't have the same feel.

I love the My Skill feature. Every game I have played (except for one against the Cardinals) has been challenging. And although I am not getting any huge runs, I am actually on pace with Lynch to beat his season stats from the year before by a wide margin except average gain per rush.

Trent Edwards has taken over as QB. I love Losman, but Edwards went 390 yards and 3 touchdowns against the Dolphins and Jets. Lee Evans is actually leading the league in various recieving stats, and my safeties (KO Simpson and Donte Whitner) are both Pro Bowl bound. The Patriots just kicked my ass, but the score got bloated in the last quarter as I was trying to score desperately and failed.

I keep reading here about freezing, but it hasn't happened to me once. Maybe I am lucky. I think this is an excellent game though. I am addicted. Plan on playing one game and end up playing three.

MySkill has completely shit the bid for me.I had a cakewalk against the Colts, so I redid the test and got 627, Carolina destroyed me 52-14 or something, and Tampa Bay just ruined me 37-3. The Panthers game was ok till about the 3rd quarter when they just exploded and scored 30 points and it started to feel really cheap. And the entire Tampa Bay game was skewed from the start.

I get the idea of MySkill, but it just seems I waltz through or get run off the field, there's no middle ground. And no matter the score, the stats are incredibly low. It's frustrating.

Also, I know this is pretty minor compared to some of the stuff that needs fixing (possibly progresssion, field degradation not working, crashes etc.), but it really annoys me that the "sim to this game" thing on the schedule screen doesn't work. It only appears as an option for the first unplayed game in the list, which is completely pointless.

In more positive news, it seems the INTx2 stat glitch has been addressed.

Edited by Dragsy

I was in a Madden tournament at a Wal-Mart near here today. Of the 32 that had signed up about 19 were there(adding on walk-ins). This made the bracket a little weird, but I ended up in the final 6 before losing. I used the Cowboys and beat the Vikings 28-0 in the 1st round, then the Colts 24-0 in the 2nd. I lost to a different guy with the Colts, 28-5(yes, I got a safety on Manning :shifty:). It was free and I got an Illinois football and a 360 lanyard out of it.

I'm 7-4 with the Panthers and my defense almost consistently outscores my offense lol. I just can't get a running game going. the playoff picture is so funny in the NFC. the vikings and the packers are tied for the lead in the nfc north at 4-7. my only players nominated for pro bowl are both my corners gamble and lucas.

Edited by mystikz

I'm having fun with the game this year. I'm 7-7 with my Lions in franchise, which seems somewhat realistic to me. I probably won't make the playoffs, since my next two games are against New Orleans and Green Bay, but oh well. Calvin Johnson is a beast in this game, and Kevin Smith is a decent running back for a rookie. I think I have him at around 900 yards right now, he should easily break 1,000. I'm excited for the offseason, I want to see how Stanton progresses and I always have fun with the draft. I'll go for defense I think, unless I can land a star offensive lineman.

The game is fun this year though, now that I've gotten used to it.