2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

To contribute something, I still don't know about Calgary, I think they are a two-man team with an underacheiving goaltender at the moment. Maybe I have too high standards for Kipper, but when one of your two men doesn't perform, things seem gloomy.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iginla, Jokinen and Glencross

Bertuzzi, Langkow and Bourque

Moss, Conroy and Boyd

We have three lines, when everyone's healthy, that will bury you alive if you make a mistake.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the defence. Even when he's not playing well, Kipper still gives the team a chance to win. If our defence can get its' shit in order, I think we'll be fine. As it stands right now, though... everyone's trying to do too much defensively, and they're forgetting to just make smart plays. If they do what's been successful for them in recent years, which is just "take the man and let Kiprusoff worry about the puck", then there won't be any problems.

I think the success the team has had up until March made everyone feel like they absolutely had to keep it going, causing everyone to over-compensate, instead of just playing the game. I'm confident it will all be sorted out by the time the post-season rolls around, if not earlier.

MF-Bump.

Flames beat the Wings tonight, and aside from a pair of defensive lapses from Leopold and Phaneuf... were absolutely fantastic.

Solid defensively all game, minus those two instances that led to goals... the forecheck was good, and our offense was getting its' chances, even if not all of them were ending up in the net.

Kiprusoff looked good in net. The last two goals came on fucked up plays, one where Dion just plain misplayed it, and one where Leopold couldn't decide to take the man or the pass, and ended up just putting his ass in the way and screening Kipper.

The first goal came with a side of shoulder, courtesy of Marian Hossa, so I won't fault Miikka on that one either. To his credit though, Hossa did pull his arm away as much as he could. It wasn't a blatant attempt at the goalie. He could have just left his arm out there and elbow'd him in the head, but he didn't.

Tonight was a good example of where we match up against the top teams, I think. If we don't make any stupid mistakes, we're more than capable of beating anyone. What it comes down to, is whether or not we can play consistently solid hockey in our defensive zone.

8 points back with 8 games remaining, and a fair few Eastern teams failing miserably down the stretch.

Playoffs likely? No. Possible? Very.

I love watching the Leafs play, for the most part. They work hard, and they're a much better team than they've been given credit for at times. Guys are stepping up into new roles, like John Mitchell and Jeff Hamilton, and are doing very well.

Gerber was handed a 3-game suspension for firing the puck at the ref's last night.

Honestly, you shouldn't ever do that, but I get why he was pissed. I'm not sure if he had the puck covered at all, but the rulebook clearly states that you cannot push the goaltender into the net with the puck, and Laich's stickwork pushed Gerber into his net. I'd have to get a better angle to look at than we saw, to make a final judgment, but it's very possible the puck was solidly under him, and only came loose as he was being pushed back into the net. It's also very possible that he never actually had it.

Awesome finish to the game last night though.

No worse than Tim Thomas trashing the locker room after being pulled (or so I've heard). I think Thomas is a little on the crazy side.

Three games for Gerber isn't a surprise. I can understand his anger, but that wasn't the brightest move. Now if Joseph wants to play another season (he says he does), this next run of games will likely be pretty important. Don't know if he'll stay with the Buds, but these games can prove he can still go after a largely horrible season.

Should be an interesting few games. Love seeing guys like Grabovski and Mitchell really step up and show their worth.

I thought the idea of bringing Joseph into Toronto was so that he could close out his career there? But if he's looking to play next year, he'll probably end up somewhere else. If you're asking me, Martin Gerber is a much more attractive option as a backup to Toskala, provided he'll take Cujo like money, or maybe a little bit more, on a new contract.

I thought the idea of bringing Joseph into Toronto was so that he could close out his career there? But if he's looking to play next year, he'll probably end up somewhere else. If you're asking me, Martin Gerber is a much more attractive option as a backup to Toskala, provided he'll take Cujo like money, or maybe a little bit more, on a new contract.

That was the plan originally.

I don't have the article handy but basically Joseph did an interview where he admitted that after the last few starts he's had, he still feels like he's got something in the tank. Feels that since he doesn't want much money he could get a job backing up somewhere.

Wilson was quoted as saying that CuJo would "certainly make a good backup for someone."

So it sounds like if he decides to keep playing he probably won't be playing for the Leafs. Which makes it perfect for us to try and snag Josh Harding if he hits the market. :shifty:

I'll try to find the article.

Even though we lost tonight, Pittsburgh Vs Calgary was a good game to watch.

A few too many turnovers, and the Powerplay was stifled by a very good, very aggressive Penguins PK... but aside from that, I feel like we did everything else right. It just wasn't our night to win. Fleury was awesome, and it's amazing to see just how far Malkin has come since his rookie season. He's not just a great offensive player anymore. Now, he's a complete package, having vastly improved his defensive play.

So yeah, with ten shut outs on the season...anyone else thinking Steve Mason is the real deal?

I've been rooting for the Jackets to make it all season, and with Mason between the pipes they've been able to do it with the worst power play in the league. The guy is pretty impressive.