2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am now willing to say Martin Brodeur is the best goaltender to play the game of hockey. At 36 years old, coming off of a serious elbow injury, he has not missed a beat. He has not slowed down at all. He could win another 100 games in this league. And he is four shutouts away from passing Terry Sawchuk for that record as well.

I am now willing to say Martin Brodeur is the best goaltender to play the game of hockey. At 36 years old, coming off of a serious elbow injury, he has not missed a beat. He has not slowed down at all. He could win another 100 games in this league. And he is four shutouts away from passing Terry Sawchuk for that record as well.

woooo someone else finally mentions Brodeur in this thread :w00t:

He is a true champion and has been the rock of New Jersey... since ever, I predict the shut out record to go very soon, he is playing great at the moment. I was really worried he'd lose it after the elbow injury but he is still as good as ever.

Congrats Marty!

Okay, now that Marty's broken his record, it's time to focus on Cujo and his. Only 2 more to tie, and 3 more to be the all-time leader.

Let's go Joseph!

Seriously though, that was a hell of a finish to the Leafs game tonight. Joseph gave them the opportunity to win, and they took it.

John Mitchell... good shot. You know the rest.

I also love how much they're showing Brian Burke react to things. It makes the game all the more exciting to watch. Something bad happens, and he waves him arms around... something awesome happens, and he's pumping his fist and smiling like a four year-old. It's great.

What record is this that Joseph will break? Most games played?
Most career losses.
Also known as: most career starts by a Maple Leaf.

What record is this that Joseph will break? Most games played?
Most career losses.
Also known as: most career starts by a Maple Leaf.

A lot of people will look at that record and think it reflects badly on Joseph, but the truth is, you have to be a damn good goalie to get that many starts. If you're not any good, you won't hit 100 career losses, because nobody will want you.

Cujo is, even now, a solid, yet unspectacular, goaltender, who will give his teams the opportunity to win, but is rarely capable of single-handedly stealing a game. I think that a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of what he brings to a team, because I hear all these people talking about how he doesn't have it anymore. I call bullshit on that. Down 3-0 earlier tonight, he turned it on, made some huge saves, and gave his team the opportunity they needed to win the game.

Cujo USED to be hot shit, back in the day, but I think playing for Toronto for so many seasons ruined him.

So Gabes, I'm in a wagering mood. I bet my friend on the Canucks/Flames series. Would you care to make a wager?

So Gabes, I'm in a wagering mood. I bet my friend on the Canucks/Flames series. Would you care to make a wager?

What are we talking here? Is this assuming they meet in the post-season? Or do you mean the season series? You're going to have to explain a bit more. Maybe it's because it's 3 am and I'm barely awake, but I need more.

I think, with all the moves they made, Calgary is trying to find their chemistry. They will be there when the playoffs come, but I think Vancouver is on a role right now and can push past the Flames.

I hope Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver all make it in.

Cujo USED to be hot shit, back in the day, but I think playing for Toronto for so many seasons ruined him.

Awww isn't it cute...the Canucks fan thinks there is a rivalry with the Leafs. News flash: we don't give two shits about your team or city. :D

Awww isn't it cute...the Canucks fan thinks there is a rivalry with the Leafs. News flash: we don't give two shits about your team or city. :D

I care. They took our captain! :crying:

You've had a few decades more futility than we have. Plus, when was the last time you made the playoffs? Was Gilbert Dione still playing for you guys, or was that when Wendell Clark took over?

You can bring up 1967 all you want. Just remember that you joined the league in 1970 and have never won a Cup. And last time I checked 13 is a lot more than 0.

And we've made the playoffs more times in the last 10 seasons than you have. So we've definitely been more futile than you in the past. :rolleyes: