2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolzig and Heward are hurt so they didn't count against the cap. Toronto taking them saves Tampa from paying them anything. We get Andy Rogers, who could be a depth defenceman for us if he develops, and we got a fourth round pick. Essentially, we have been payed to take salary from Tampa. Petiot going the other way is to make the deal a trade.

So we now have picks in every round of the upcoming draft, plus two extras. Very awesome.

Even ended up with two big, tough blue liners that may develop into something good for us. Burke did pretty well today IMO. Now if he can turn those picks into good prospects we'll be well on our way with this rebuild.

:) Exciting times to be a Leaf fan.

Figures... I say something awesome, it ends up in Be's sig, and no one knows. Well, now you know.

The amount of deals that went through after the deadline were weird. I suppose that's a side effect of having so many teams waiting on better offers or to see where certain players went.

The Flames are a legitimate powerhouse heading into the post-season, but I'm still not happy about the potential long-term ramifications of todays moves. I guess I just have to put that out of my mind and enjoy what happens now.

The Phoenix Coyotes really bolstered their lineup. They lost Morris and Jokinen, but I think they came out the better for it.

Also, the Rangers overpaid for Morris so they would have the roster room for all of these guys. I'm sure Brian Burke didn't want Nigel Dawes being pawned off on him.

I know everybody thinks Montreal should have made a move, but I don't. They have the pieces... it's just a matter of everyone giving 100% every minute of every game from here-on out. The guys need to put aside whatever little issues they're having that are keeping them from performing, get their shit together, and play like they can.

As a side, I'd just like to add that I'm very impressed with Brian Burke and how he's handling things. He's not trading away guys to add random draft picks. The team is 9 points out, and could still statistically make the playoffs. He didn't rape them of that opportunity. It won't happen, but he's giving them the chance.

I'm also happy to hear that he'll be aggressive on July 1st. The way a lot of people were talking had me fearing that he would maybe sign one or two Mayers-esque guys and pass up on whatever building blocks were out there.

Jay Bouwmeester is young and in the prime of his career. Making him an offer this summer couldn't hurt.

EDIT: I know Florida wants to make the playoffs, but look at what happened today. Teams overpaid for guys, because they needed to make room under the cap. Philly lost in a trade with Phoenix because of cap issues. I'm sure they were offering something decent for Bouwmeester.

Now, Florida will lose him on July 1st and get nothing in return, unless they can trade his rights to someone... which I doubt. How often has the team who acquired the rights actually gone on to sign the player? Not often enough to warrant losing draft picks over.

Edited by Gabriel

I am ECSTATIC!~ that we got rid of one of our awful defensemen this season. Sure Leopold has a pretty shootout goal, but he is one of the three players on this team who are too busy trying to be lead pencils to be erasers (thanks for the metaphor)

I'm sure Brian Burke didn't want Nigel Dawes being pawned off on him.

I actually think Dawes would've been a good fit for toronto. He's much better than his stats show.

I'm sure Brian Burke didn't want Nigel Dawes being pawned off on him.

I actually think Dawes would've been a good fit for toronto. He's much better than his stats show.

I didn't intend to sound demeaning towards Nigel Dawes. He is good, there's no doubt about it... but Toronto should be focused on guys reaching the prime of their careers, or prospects.

Nigel Dawes could have been great, but never fulfilled his potential, and I believe he's peaked in terms of what he's going to bring to the table. He's a much better fit in Phoenix, who's stacked with young talent, and could use a guy who's been around, especially since he's not THAT much older than most of those guys.

The way Burke has spoken about them, I actually can see the Leafs keeping Kubina and Kaberle and having a top four of Kaberle - Kubina and Schenn - White. I think we need forwards in the off season, not to add another high priced defender to the mix. Add in Finger's salary, and we are already spending a ton on defence with Finger getting overpayed.

Let's get some offensive forwards, but be careful with how the money is spent and draft smart.

The way Burke has spoken about them, I actually can see the Leafs keeping Kubina and Kaberle and having a top four of Kaberle - Kubina and Schenn - White.

You didn't happen to listen to his interview during NHL On The Fly, did you?

He called in and basically told Bill Clement what he's been telling everyone about needing to go out and find a guy like Kaberle if he deals Kaberle. Ottawa and their attempts all season to get a puck moving d-man pretty well show how tough it is. That's not even taking into account Kaberle's bargain price. Although come draft day Burke might get an offer for either of them that's worth taking. I have confidence that the man will do the smart thing. I feel safe about the team's future with Burke in the driver's seat.

Even when you're building a team with a young core you need experienced guys to mentor them. Kaberle and Kubina fit those roles, and hopefully White and Schenn can eventually replace them as the top pairing some day.

EDIT: I have to laugh at all these people who keep claiming Burke did a horrible job today. That he did worse than Fletcher did last year at the deadline, and basically just performed poorly in general today. It's amusing.

Edited by Drifter_2000

...and quietly, the Red Wings have moved into first overall in the NHL.

There's no denying that they're a great team, and probably favorites to win the cup again this year.

That said... there's absolutely nothing about them that excites me. They're loaded with talent, and I have a hard time enjoying their games.

Jiri Tlusty has 34 points in his last 15 games including a 5 goal game. He is really tearing up the AHL now. I wonder if this means he might actually develop into something for us down the line?

Leafs are going to have a new face in the lineup against Washington tonight. Jeff Hamilton's contract has been bought from the Chicago Wolves.

Not major news, but interesting to make mention of it. Obviously we need a body to fill in our empty spots.