2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

What's the deal with Brian Burke? When he started, he said he was going to start wheeling and dealing as soon as the Roster Freeze ended. Here we are now, into January, and all I've heard is that he's talked to Kaberle, and that the Blue Jackets might be interested in a couple of players.

He may be finding that this team has less assets to move then he thought. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Kaberle and Kubina have both said no to trades.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the deal with Brian Burke? When he started, he said he was going to start wheeling and dealing as soon as the Roster Freeze ended. Here we are now, into January, and all I've heard is that he's talked to Kaberle, and that the Blue Jackets might be interested in a couple of players.

He may be finding that this team has less assets to move then he thought. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Kaberle and Kubina have both said no to trades.

It's extremely hard in this league now to move guys with big contracts without taking back the same type of contract, give or take a little, in return.

So, even if Kaberle or Kubina say yes, he's not going to get rid of them strictly for draft picks. He's going to have to take someone else off of another team's hands.

That's why I fully support the idea of teams retaining part of a player's salary when they trade him. That way, the Leafs could deal Kaberle for a young guy and a draft pick, with part of the deal being that they pay half of Kaberle's remaining contract.

Toronto doesn't really seem to have a lot of tradeable assets, There is Kaberle and Kubina, but as a GM from another team, do you want to be giving up high picks and prospects for these players. It's not that they're not good players, just it seems that unless it's a guy like Hossa, teams aren't going to want to give up their young talent. Part of that may have to do with the cap as well. If you;ve got a great young player, you can keep him for 3 years at less than a million. A guy like Kaberle is going to cost several million a year.

Toronto doesn't really seem to have a lot of tradeable assets, There is Kaberle and Kubina, but as a GM from another team, do you want to be giving up high picks and prospects for these players. It's not that they're not good players, just it seems that unless it's a guy like Hossa, teams aren't going to want to give up their young talent. Part of that may have to do with the cap as well. If you;ve got a great young player, you can keep him for 3 years at less than a million. A guy like Kaberle is going to cost several million a year.

Considering how he plays, I would not be surprised if a team with a struggling powerplay would give up significant assets for Kaberle or Kubina. Both offer a lot to a team. Kaberle can run a powerplay while Kubina is good in all areas of the game with his booming shot and his strength.

If the first 3 minutes are anything to go by, Toskala is playing at his best in this one.

Wait, nevermind. Toskala let one in...it is a good thing the net was dislodged a few seconds earlier. Toskala has faced 10 shots in 5 minutes though.

Edited by Toe

Everyone in this thread talks like either the Leafs or the Habs are their team. I mean, look at you go, Gabe, all "So what's the deal with Brian Burke? When is he going to make our team better? I have my seat in the parade all ready and everything!"

Goddamn fucking Leaf fans.

I wish the Sens fans hadn't all committed suicide. It's so much lonelier with just you Leaf and Hab homers.

I can't see Toronto vs. Florida (no TSN) so can anyone tell me if they're really using Andrew Deveaux on the second line? o_O

EDIT: And what the fuck is this about Rutuu BITING somebody?! I don't follow hockey for ONE fucking night and everything seems to turn into a circus. Dammit!

Edited by Drifter_2000

I can't see Toronto vs. Florida (no TSN) so can anyone tell me if they're really using Andrew Deveaux on the second line? o_O

EDIT: And what the fuck is this about Rutuu BITING somebody?! I don't follow hockey for ONE fucking night and everything seems to turn into a circus. Dammit!

It's Andre Deveaux and no. He was on the fourth line.

Toronto just had no energy tonight. Florida just dominated the Leafs.

Everyone in this thread talks like either the Leafs or the Habs are their team. I mean, look at you go, Gabe, all "So what's the deal with Brian Burke? When is he going to make our team better? I have my seat in the parade all ready and everything!"

Goddamn fucking Leaf fans.

I wish the Sens fans hadn't all committed suicide. It's so much lonelier with just you Leaf and Hab homers.

I never asked when he was going to make our team better. I'm just one of those people who gets really excited about trades and the such. I watch the Deadline Special all day... I watch the Draft Special all day... and the Free Agents Special? Watched that too.

I just really dig those things.

I'm a Flames fan, through and through. Speaking of which... we beat the Sharks tonight, handily. It was a great bounce-back game from our loss to Chicago on Sunday night, and I can't think of a time when we've had a better team. Not in my lifetime, anyways.

The Flames are slowly becoming my favourite team for online play in NHL 09. Iggy has scored at least once every time I use them, and it was with them that I managed to prevent an opponent from taking a single shot on net.

Edited by Toe

It's Andre Deveaux and no. He was on the fourth line.

Toronto just had no energy tonight. Florida just dominated the Leafs.

Shit, I knew it was Andre...dunno why I put down Andrew.

Sounds like I didn't miss much of a game then. Toronto seems to be lacking in energy a lot lately. Seems like since their win over Atlanta a few weeks back they've struggled to get going.

The Raycroft train keeps piling on wins - 5 in a row, and now 7-1 on the season I believe.

Ughhh.

Also, remember when we had a Sabres fan and SOMEBODY chased him away? I remember.

Toronto just sent Nikolai Kulemin to the AHL. Kulemin had 7 goals and 14 points in his rookie season so far. Not too shabby. He needs work on his backchecking and consistency though.

Edited by Toe

Brian Burke has traded a conditional sixth round pick in 2010 to Anaheim for his boy Brad May.

Is that three teams now he's followed Burke to? Vancouver, Anaheim and now Toronto?

When I think of the idea of a rebuilding team, Brad May is definitely not someone I'd expect to be given much consideration, let alone be picked up... especially at the expense of Kulemin being sent to the minors, when he's having a very productive rookie season.

Watching the game last night, Chris Cuthbert was talking about how Florida might have to move Bouwmeester, to avoid losing him to Free Agency for absolutely nothing... well, if they can't re-sign him, which isn't likely, being that he wants out... then why not make a switcheroo with Toronto? I'm not sure if he'd sign an extension with the Leafs, but if he would, moving him for Kaberle or Kubina would benefit both teams.