2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, now I really like Halak a lot. I think he's always been thought of the other goalie in Montreal and that's really not fair. When he first came up 2 years ago when Huet went down with injury and it became apparent that Aebischer was a terrible goalie he went 10-3-3 with 3 shutouts was 7-0 at the Bell Center and when he was called up he was running a .951 save percentage in the AHL. To this day I still feel that if he had gotten the call in the Habs/Leafs game that Montreal lost 6-5 in Huet's first game after returning to injury, Montreal would have won. He's a great goaltender.

He's got to be one of the better back-up goaltenders in the league and in a way, while I love the security of having both Price and Halak. I really want Halak to get traded to a team where he gets the chance to be the #1 goalie because he really deserves it.

Didn't you want Halak's head like... five games into the fucking season? <_<

Indeed I did, because in his first 3 starts this year he was absolute rubbish. I live in Montreal, I demand results immediately.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I was watching the HOF 'Legends' game on TSN this afternoon, and I have a question I'd like to posit to the EWB masses:

How does Cliff Ronning in any way qualify as a legend?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Oh, wait, it gets better.

The format was Habs legends vs. NHL legends, so I can excuse the Habs side for stretching the definition of 'legend' to include guys like Sergio Momesso, Brian Bellows, Jyrki Lumme, and a female goalie.

But the NHL team also apparently had Dave Ellett and Bernie Nicholls. What, couldn't they get Peter Zezel?

The CBC is unfairly catering to the Montreal Canadiens. Why should they get to play every Saturday night in front of a national audience while Toronto fans are forced to suffer and head to the bars to get some enjoyment? I demand retribution for my tax dollars!

Preach, my brother! Preach!

Ooooh. Semin scored a great goal against Ottawa. The Senators just do not look good right now. This whole season has been bad for them.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

And don't forget that Montreal's had Thursday nights on CBC to themselves for the last two weeks at least!

P.S. Um, what's Marcos doing here? Testing out his mod powers? :shifty:

Oh My God guys this is so unfair! Montreal doesn't even want to be in Canada but they get Thursdays and Saturdays to themselves on our national station on our tax dollars. Let's write a letter to Stephen Harper. I'm sure he can deal with this in Parliment tom....oh wait, nevermind.

So I was watching the HOF 'Legends' game on TSN this afternoon, and I have a question I'd like to posit to the EWB masses:

How does Cliff Ronning in any way qualify as a legend?

It depends on how you qualify Legend. He has pretty big standing here, he was one of our better performers during our playoff run in 1994. I think actually it was Cliff Ronning who scored the goal who sent us to the cup final, but I might be wrong. But yeah, he's a Canucks "legend", if not an NHL superhero.

Well if we're admitting people on the basis of one big goal, bring on Nikolai Borschevsky. <_<

Cliff Ronning was more than just one goal though. He was every bit the heart and soul of the Vancouver Canucks as guys like Trevor Linden or Roberto Luongo.

He was as important to the Canucks as Wendell Clark was to the Maple Leafs.

Cliff Ronning was a gritty player with a ton of heart and a goal scoring touch that is quite frankly, way too underrated by non-Vancouver fans.