2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

He should have stayed with NYR, although with Shanahan gone, there's nobody around to keep him under control. I thought he played his best with the rangers, but the Stars offered him the money he wanted, which is ridiculous IMO. Giving him more than 3 mil is money wasted, and even that is a bit much.

Personally, I dont think what he said was that bad, but like others have said "It's that he went looking for a camera that made it bad"

Anyway, Good game between Rangers and Penguins. Penguins controlled most of the game when the rangers were sloppy in their own zone, but after the physical play picked up, the Penguins looked a bit out of it. It's amusing to watch Crosby complain, but kudos for him getting his payback by setting up a goal.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers.... rocked.

Jumped out to a 4-0 lead with 2 goals from our fourth line. Fun little hugfest between Koivu and Gomez. When the Rangers made it 4-2 I was worrying that the Rangers might try to pull a comeback on us like Montreal so gloriously did last February.

3 wins in a row to start our homestand is pretty great. New Jersey up next tomorrow.

Fun fact: Carey Price has given up 2 goals or less in 8 of his last 9 starts.

The guy got suspended six games for saying sloppy seconds? Wow, that's overkill...

It's not just the comments. It's that he actively seeked out someone to listen to him spout off. It's not like some reporter brought it up and he was just responding. He went looking for media and said "I've got something to say."

On top of that, it's really just the last straw in a series of incidents where Sean Avery does something stupid to make himself look cooler, while simultaneously damaging the reputation of the game.

Montreal turned 99 yesterday, and being that they know how to run an organization, they unveiled 4 bronze statues (Morenz, Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur) right outside the Bell Center. They also had the bricks that people were able to buy and personalize, and they had plaques commemorating the 24 cups along with 3 blank ones in the spirit of optimism. The 100th Anniversary celebrations started last night and should go on till this time next season... possibly ending with a Big O game.

I was making a comment that the Montreal organization is a pillar of class in the league. They also paid tribute to fellow Original 6 team the Rangers last night. Parading out some former Rangers and Habs stars with a little bit on the rivalry(and I use that term loosely) between the two teams. I was there last season when they did it with Chicago, it was fun and nice.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/photos...3503/story.html

Pictures of the statues, Plaza and last nights events can be seen above.

Clawson stop being so defensive about anything I say. Oh Noes! I said Montreal knows how to run an organization, how self conscience about the Leafs do you have to be to take that as a shot? They celebrated another team, and unveiled Centennial Plaza last night with Bronze statues of 4 legendary players not only of the team but of the League. So.... yeah, I'll say that Montreal knows how to run an organization... It's not taking shots at any other team(especially not the Leafs, I promise).

Also, Espn spit out some attendance numbers, looks like Chicago is filling past capacity all season... Wow! Good for them.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

I'd watch it.

I'm not sure if they'll do it with the Leafs. With the Bruins, there's hatred there too, but there's a respect factor. I think deep down for the old Leafs there's a respect factor there as well, but I'd be a fool to think that the Habs fans wouldn't mercilessly boo the old Leafs.

In the end, it was only Phaneuf who got made to look bad with that comment....so maybe Phaneuf is just being primed to be the next Pronger-Primadonna in regards to being protected and getting away with whatever he likes.

In the end, it was only Phaneuf who got made to look bad with that comment....so maybe Phaneuf is just being primed to be the next Pronger-Primadonna in regards to being protected and getting away with whatever he likes.

I don't think so. Avery has just built up towards this suspension this year with a series of idiotic acts.

Jarrett Stoll is also dating an ex-girlfriend of Sean Avery's.

It really had nothing at all to do with who the comment was directed at. The suspension is because he has a history of pulling these disrespectful little acts in an effort to get attention.

When your entire team is disowning you, it's going to be more than just saying something stupid. According to a lot of credible witnesses, Sean Avery has pulled many stunts worse than this in his time with the NHL.

The Los Angeles Kings let him go because he was a locker room cancer, constantly making fun of Dustin Brown's lisp. According to credible people, the veterans on the team at that time were extremely pissed at Avery.

Earlier this season, he made fun of the facial tick of one of St. Louis' assistant coaches.

The guy acts like a fucking ten year-old, and that's why he got spanked by Mr. Bettman and Mr. Campbell.

I think Jarret Stoll or someone is also dating one of Avery's exes.

The comment got him suspended because Cuthbert is a clean, young, blond, white celebrity, and most hockey fans are fat, dirty, bald, ugly, smelly old men. Her liking hockey makes it cool. Her being made to look like trash ruins the coolness a bit.

Jarrett Stoll is also dating an ex-girlfriend of Sean Avery's.

It really had nothing at all to do with who the comment was directed at. The suspension is because he has a history of pulling these disrespectful little acts in an effort to get attention.

When your entire team is disowning you, it's going to be more than just saying something stupid. According to a lot of credible witnesses, Sean Avery has pulled many stunts worse than this in his time with the NHL.

The Los Angeles Kings let him go because he was a locker room cancer, constantly making fun of Dustin Brown's lisp. According to credible people, the veterans on the team at that time were extremely pissed at Avery.

Earlier this season, he made fun of the facial tick of one of St. Louis' assistant coaches.

The guy acts like a fucking ten year-old, and that's why he got spanked by Mr. Bettman and Mr. Campbell.

Don't forget when he made fun of Jason Blake for having cancer.

....good lord....

Devils tonight. I'm not sure what to make of it, Boston has their game in the bag already, they're playing the Panthers, so it's not like the Habs are gonna make up any ground on what has to be the surprise team so far this year. They went 11-0-1 in November. I mean, they're no San Jose who have what? 4 losses in their first 26 games.... but I pretty much expected Boston to put up a little bit more fight this year but nothing special. They've certainly proved me wrong so far.

Here are my Season Predictions...

Western Conference

01. *Detroit Red Wings

02. *Calgary Flames

03. *San Jose Sharks

04. Anaheim Ducks

05. Chicago Blackhawks

06. Dallas Stars

07. Minnesota Wild

08. Edmonton Oilers

-----

09. Colorado Avalanche

10. Vancouver Canucks

11. Phoenix Coyotes

12. Nashville Predators

13. Columbus Blue Jackets

14. St. Louis Blues

15. Los Angeles Kings

Eastern Conference

01. *Boston Bruins

02. *Pittsburgh Penguins

03. Montreal Canadiens

04. *Washington Capitals

05. New Jersey Devils

06. New York Rangers

07. Carolina Hurricanes

08. Philadelphia Flyers

-----

09. Ottawa Senators

10. Toronto Maple Leafs

11. Florida Panthers

12. Tampa Bay Lightning

13. Buffalo Sabres

14. New York Islanders

15. Atlanta Thrashers

Surprise team of the Year? Really?

Some of my predictions are looking pretty off... but I had Boston as the top team in the East. They're a hard working team. When Thomas is on, he's really fucking good. They've got a tough defense to play against, and probably the best all around top 12 unit on the front-end.

I'm shocked that people are still surprised by Boston's success.