2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steen has 4 points in 20 games sooooo yeah....expendable. Especially with John Mitchell basically taking his place.

I just saw that... so, expendable, yes... but Stempniak's numbers aren't any better. I looked at it, and really, based on the numbers, this deal makes absolutely no sense, other than to make room on the main club or ship off some guys who might end up being benchwarmers with some of the other guys coming in and forcefully taking spots on the team.

Dude. Dude. Dude. DUDE. DUDEE. Dude. Dude.

Two things.

CLAUDE LEMIEUX IS MAKING A COMEBACK.

And the Leafs won that fucking trade. WON. WONWONWONWONWOWNWOPWNWWONWWWWWWWWON. Carlo is too often injured and Steen has become a liability. He's defensively sound, but he has NEVER lived up to his hype and has only become stagnant in his development. He is not going to get better than he is now and he wasn't all that great offensively to begin with. Stempniak is only going to get better and is a much more dynamic player. You don't need to wait to see, the Leafs won this trade hands down.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=394225&cmpid=rss

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -Claude Lemieux has signed a tryout contract with the San Jose Sharks in hopes of returning to the NHL after a five-year absence.

The 43-year-old Lemieux is expected to report to the Sharks' AHL affiliate in Worcester this week, San Jose spokesman Scott Emmert said Monday.

Lemieux won four Stanley Cup titles during 18 NHL seasons with five clubs while earning a reputation as one of hockey's top agitators. He won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the NHL's playoff MVP in 1995 with the New Jersey Devils, and he also won championships with Montreal (1986) and Colorado (1996) before adding a fourth ring back with New Jersey in 2000.

His 80 career playoff goals are ninth in league history, but Lemieux hasn't played in the NHL since the 2002-03 season, which he spent with Phoenix and Dallas. Earlier this year, Lemieux played a two-game stint with the China Sharks, San Jose's affiliate in Shanghai, while gauging his ability to make a full comeback.

Lemieux is a longtime friend of Sharks general manager Doug Wilson, who has taken a chance on veteran players before. Defenseman Sandis Ozolinsh played 38 games with San Jose last season after few clubs were interested in the 35-year-old former All-Star.

Watch some team draft the dude's corpse in round five just to tell the Rangers to shove it.

Since his rookie season, Steen had pretty much stopped developing any more as an offensive player. Defensively, he has been good, but Toronto has a few forwards who can play both ends of the ice effectively. Carlo has been too injury prone. He has shown some instances of his great talent, but those instances have all been far too brief to have an impact on this team.

Since I haven't seen a lot of Stempniak in the past few years, I don't have a lot to say a lot about him. He did score 27 goals in 2006/07 and looks like he will be a more productive player then Steen, and he is only 25 years old.

Washington/Minnesota thoughts, No sure of the spoiler rules in here, So better to be safe than warned.

While late night channel surfing, I just caught the end of the Wild/Caps game from sometime this year, But I must say I was impressed with the way Washington fought back from 4 goals down in the last 8 or so minutes to almost steal the game from Minnesota. Even though they lost, I was impressed with the way that Washington when down swinging rather than letting Minnesota run up the score, My question is though. How often does something like this happen in the NHL?

Edited by Slog-A-Roonie

Washington/Minnesota thoughts, No sure of the spoiler rules in here, So better to be safe than warned.

While late night channel surfing, I just caught the end of the Wild/Caps game from sometime this year, But I must say I was impressed with the way Washington fought back from 4 goals down in the last 8 or so minutes to almost steal the game from Minnesota. Even though they lost, I was impressed with the way that Washington when down swinging rather than letting Minnesota run up the score, My question is though. How often does something like this happen in the NHL?

Don't worry about spoilers here.

Also....more news on Brian Burke.

It sounds like he is coming to Toronto in the near future.

Right, Thanks Toe.

Hopefully the Ducks can do better without Bruke there, But having recent Stanley Cup winner GM as the GM could help out the Leafs, All the more power to them.