2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

Avs have signed Stastny for another five years. WOOHOO!

He is going to be the best player on that team for years to come.

Toronto lost to Boston. I hate watching the Bruins and Leafs play, so I only watched the last period of this game. The Grabovski line is awesome, and even though Toskala looked shaky, Toronto stayed in the game. I think this team is going to break out and win a few games back to back. Everyone just seems to be playing better and better, even in loses. Jason Blake may not be scoring a bunch (although he scored tonight), but he is a good penalty killer and seems to be competing more then before.

Also, TSN reports that Brian Burke and the Leafs have begun talking. I would be fine with them bringing him in, as long as Fletcher gets to help Burke out. "Trader Cliff" made the moves that have put Toronto into the position they are now. They aren't contenders, but they look like they have something there to work with. I hope if Burke is brought in, he gets the autonomy he wants to continue moving the team forward. I would just like Fletcher to be an advisor. I have no doubt that Burke or anyone else brought in would respect Fletcher's opinion.

EDIT - Vancouver puts forward the effort to stomp on us, but then lays down for the Islanders? Come on!

Edited by Toe

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Actually, TSN's reporting that the Leafs are courting Burke. In at least three different places. Seriously, they have a weird thing going on where they're forcing a romantic relationship metaphor.

So who did you guys vote for the all-star game?

I voted for Stastny/Sakic/Hejduk (obv :D), Brent Burns, Dion Phaneuf and Roberto Luongo in the west

and in the East I voted for Ovechkin, Semin, Vanek, Mike Green, Miller and I wrote in Luke Schenn.

WEST

F:Marian Hossa, Rick Nash, Patrick Kane

D:Shea Weber, Dion Phaneuf

G:Roberto Luongo

EAST

F:Alexander Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, Evgeni Malkin

D:Mike Green, Dan Girardi

G:Henrik Lundqvist

CBC drops the ball yet again.

Now I understand that the Leafs have a huge fanbase, but let's look at this realistically. On the one hand you have the Leafs and Blackhawks. I wouldn't exactly call that a rivalry, Chicago has exciting young talent. It should be a good game.

On the other hand you have Montreal vs Boston, probably the third most significant Original 6 Rivalry, plus a really fucking good rivalry. It is also Patrick Roy's jersey retirement night.

So to recap, one game is going to be a decent game between two teams without much history and without much significance to the game. The other game is one of the best rivalries in the game, on a game honouring the best goalie of all time.

Which should get the national broadcast?

It seems that CBC thinks that a Toronto Chicago game would draw more nationally than a Montreal Boston game on Roy's night. So Quebec gets the Habs game, the rest of Canada gets the Leafs game.

If someone could find me a site that shows approx viewers or ratings or whatever, I'm willing to bet that the Habs game draws higher locally on RDS and CBC only in Quebec than the Leafs do Nationally.

Fucking CBC, it's not even that I dislike the Leafs, it just is strange to me. Its like if Montreal and NY Rangers are playing, but Toronto and Detroit are also playing, clearly the Leafs game will draw higher...

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I'm right with you on this one, Basha. Roy's jersey retirement should have been what pushed this over the edge (if it wasn't already) and made the Habs game national (although I still wouldn't be able to see it here, so meh).

At least they offer streaming of all the games now, so I can just go to cbc.ca and watch it there.

I haven't seen viewership figures in quite a while, but I'm pretty sure the Habs between CBC and RDS come close to the Leafs on pure number of viewers, even if you don't take disproportionate market size into account.

EDIT: The jersey retirement will be live across the country, Hockey Tonight will be cut down to 5 minutes or so.

Edited by Mr. Potato Head

Well, all of the third jerseys have been leaked. Dear God, do I hate the Sens' jersey. Just... what the fuck? So much going on. And the Sharks is average at best. It's really plain. Why the fucking wordmark? WHY? And why the stripes on the arms, too? With their logo, the Sens jersey could have been saved.

ottsens579.jpg

sjsharks404.jpg

Here's what someone at another board I visit made.

SensEdit.jpg

Here's Dallas. They had the potential for a green jersey, but do this. :(

turco-far.jpg

turco-front.jpg

kings3rdK.jpg

LAKINGS.jpg

As for the Kings, I dunno what to think. I love the black and silver coming back, but now I kinda miss seeing at least a hint of purple in there. It kept them original. Plus, a different logo would have pushed this jersey from say a B to an A.

I actually like the "SENS" jersey.

I couldn't care less for the white Dallas Jersey.

I really don't know what to think about the LA jersey. It looks good. Looks like it could make for a good Roller Hockey Jersey, but I just dont think it has much lasting value. I feel as if I might get sick of it real fast.

Way too many black jerseys, we need some more green in the league, fucking Dallas. Actually, no. Fucking Reebok, without their shitty new template coming in and urining everything, we'd likely still have the awesome Starstripe jersey, I love it. Their new third sucks ass. The Kings pencil third is ace, I like the logo, love the silver stripe. The Sens would be better with a proper logo instead of a washing powder wordmark (I really like the striping style).

I like that not everyone has gone the throwback route. I want more thirds though, and for the Avs to lose the horrible apron strings.

Let's see....Chicago, one of the youngest most exciting teams in the league against Toronto, one of the fastest highest scoring/highest goal allowing teams in the league...

or...

Montreal against Boston, the most boring team in the league bar New Jersey.

By the way, Toe....tell me how manly you felt after reading the list/watching the videos: http://downgoesbrown.blogspot.com/search/l...Clark%20Moments

I'm so pumped for tonight, it's unbelievable.

Montreal versus Boston, the most boring team in the league bar New Jersey.... and also Patrick Roy's jersey retirement and a long standing rivalry in the NHL.

I know you're a football fan so think of it this way, Newcastle versus Sunderland always gets Sky Sports coverage - not because either are a good team, but because it's one of the bigger rivalries in the country and generates quite a bit of coverage from non-fans. It's just.. shown, regardless of if they're the two worst teams in the league, the two best or whatever.

I think Patrick Roy having his jersey retired makes it obviously a bit more special, so it should gain national coverage. But at the same time it makes no difference to how I watch the game to whether or not its covered in all of Canada or not, would probably make it a bit easier for me to watch if it was - but I'll still be able to watch it regardless.

Not wanting to start any fights, which I know is completely impossible with you lot but just wanted to throw my thoughts out there. <_<

I'd probably want to see the whole match though. See if it makes them play with more motivation and passion - which quite frankly they can probably use right now with some of the recent results.

As opposed to "ooh look, big ceremony retiring the jersey of one of the best known players of our current time..." and then watching New York Islanders vs. Buffalo Sabres.

Just my opinion though, but if I personally saw the jersey retirement I'd quite like to watch the match that followed as well. Or I'd probably not watch the jersey retirement anyways. Either way, if people want to watch the match - there are ways to do that.

On top of that, my major point of my argument was that it was a well known rivalry as well. Just like you'd expect Toronto/Montreal matches to be seen nationwide and the such, Montreal/Boston is a long standing rivalry throughout the NFL. But as I've mentioned, it makes no difference to me in the long run. And it seems if you don't live in Montreal, you hate them anyways so perhaps its for the best. <_<

Edited by IAceI