2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I'd be able to make a strong case for any of Sittler/Gilmour/Sundin meaning as much to Toronto as Wendel, and that's not even getting into things like Lanny in Calgary or Gretzky in Edmonton or Orr in Boston.

Especially Lanny.

You have to remember (or hear stories) about the Leafs from the 80s and see what Wendel did for them when he was picked in '85. I think the only two people who can come close to Wendel for being loved in Toronto are Killer and Sittler but they still aren't close to him. Wendel gave the city hope and that is more important than what anybody has done for another hockey team's city in a long time.

Steve Kouleas said today that the Leafs and Philadelphia have been in talks the last week or so.

Names mentioned:

From Toronto: Colaiacovo, Ian White

From Philadelphia: Claude Giroux

It doesn't make sense as a straight up deal, but Philly is hurting on the back end, and Toronto has a few extra guys. Giroux seems like he'd command more than Coly and/or White in a deal, so I'm guessing that those are just names that have been agreed upon by both teams as being wanted/available.

Man, would I love to see Giroux on a Canadian team...and I think he'd fit in nicely with the Leafs.

Montreal drops one in shootout. I found something fascinating about the game, or rather after the game. Montreal has registered a point in 10 of 11 games. We've played the least amount of games in the East and in the first 11 games of the year are one of the best teams... last night's loss, it was like the wheels fell off. The fact that they lost to Colombus and half the city went into a panic (no riots yet.... yet)

On Halak.

There was once a time where Halak showed great promise, he came in 2 years ago went 10-3-3 with 3 shutouts and led Montreal to the cusp of the playoffs before he was benched in favor of playing Huet in game 82. Last season he didn't play in the NHL really, but this year, he's garbage. We lost the game because Halak can't do his job. Komisarek, Gorges and Hamerlik can only block so many shots(a ton of shot) but believe it or not you lousy bum, the other team will register shots on net.

I understand that at 20 years old it's kind of hard to ask Price to play 70 games a year but.... Please?

Ugh. It's one fucking bad game. Plus, Halak isn't all the old either. There's no point in giving up on him. Like you said, 11 games into the season. Settle down. This is why the Habs signed Marc Denis. If they REALLY need a backup, they have one in Denis.

Anyway, BLOCKBUSTER trade zomg.

Tampa trades:

Matt Carle

3rd round pick (SJ)

Philly trades:

Steve Downie

Steve Eminger

4th round pick (formerly Tampa's, back to Tampa again)

Now, by no means is Matt Carle good. He has potential, but he was average in San Jose and hasn't been good at all in Tampa. So, this is NOT a steal for Philly, but what the fuck was Tampa thinking? Steve Eminger has become washed up at 26, and Steve Downie is Steve fucking Downie. This is downright stupid on Tampa's part. Over/under on Downie getting suspended within a month?

Staying with Tampa, what the fuck is up with them? Poor Vinny Lecavailer signing a long-term deal with them. Their D has been God-awful this season, and Meszaros certainly hasn't helped. In fact, Filip Kuba's been doing awesome in Ottawa. Now they get rid of Carle and pick up Eminger, who isn't better, along with possibly the dumbest player I've seen in a long time in Steve Downie.

If that isn't sarcasm, I'm sad.

Anyway, THIRD JERSEYS ZOMG. I'm not gonna post what people should already know by now, like the Isles and Thrashers. They're not 100%, and these are 'Premier' jerseys, so the hemlines are curved. However, they seem to be basically 99% legit.

My thoughts? I hate using words, especially nicknames for logos, but the 'Bolts' jerseys works on the very basic level. If this jersey wasn't blue I wouldn't care. Phoenix's new logo is fucking wonderful even if the black jersey doesn't work at all. Vancouver's is... rather pointless, and of course. Pittsburgh's rocks. Philly's is the throwback, so it looks good. I'm interested to see what they do with the nameplate, since there's rumours of it being similar to that of the jerseys from the '70s. The Sens did a photoshoot with their new jerseys, but I haven't been able to find anything, and the Blackhawks revealed their jersey yesterday or today, or something. It's the same as the black jersey we know and love as far as I know.

IMG_9147copy.jpg

3rd-1.jpg

IMG_9162copy.jpg

vrbata2.jpg

IMG_9524copy.jpg

IMG_9522copy.jpg

IMG_9542copy.jpg

IMG_9404copy.jpg

Pittsburgh 3rds

Edited by Will.