2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

You might just be right Clawson, but I'll take Saku's 4 goals and 6 assists in the first 8 games to help propel the Habs to a 6-1-1 record and the best goal differential in the league over his younger brother right now...

Montreal wins in shootout, Kovy's sharp angle shot for a goal in the first was sick, Tanguay might end up being our highest priority signing if he keeps playing the way he does. I think it was Mike Boone of the Gazette who put last night as "The way the puck flew around the offensive zone, it reminded me of the Soviet National team back in their heydey, especially since the PP participans include Alexei Kovalev, Andrei Markov, Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Tanguay (who passes like a russian)" I thought it was funny. Montreal had a ton of chances last night, but Ward made a few huge saves, and there were a few (a lot) of open nets missed. Nobody considers Montreal to be playing their best hockey, which in a way isn't a bad thing since we've gotten 13 of 16 points out of it.

Price so far seems to be shutting the nay sayers up a bit. Last night's second goal was weak, but shit happens, he's been playing incredibly solid hockey for Montreal.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, what an ugly game for the Penguins last night. At least Sabu played amazing again.

I know the Pens didn't deserve to win (11 shots? For real?) but the high sticking call on Matt Cooke that essentially took the game away from the Pens late in the 3rd was a terrible call. But had it not been called and the Pens tied the game up, it really would have been an undeserved win, the Sharks looked impressive.

Ugh, what an ugly game for the Penguins last night. At least Sabu played amazing again.

I know the Pens didn't deserve to win (11 shots? For real?) but the high sticking call on Matt Cooke that essentially took the game away from the Pens late in the 3rd was a terrible call. But had it not been called and the Pens tied the game up, it really would have been an undeserved win, the Sharks looked impressive.

I didn't see it, but high sticking is generally a black and white issue. Either his stick hit someone in the face...or it didn't...

If it was a phantom call, then I could understand being upset about it... but if his stick touched anyone's face at all, it's a penalty.

No, you didn't Basha. You flat-out said that you'd take Saku (and his numbers) over Miko (however you spell it). I think you probably just didn't realise the other guys' numbers. (I sure didn't, when you reeled off Saku's numbers I was like - yup that's pretty impressive, not realising myself)

EDIT: Basha, while i'm here, you mentioned Price's play. Everyone was calling him on a suspect glove hand that was supposedly injured during the playoff run, and during the pre-season the TSN highlights were..well...highlighting the number of softish goals he was allowing glove side. Has he patched that up? How does the hand seem?

Edited by Plubby

Price has done a lot of work with his glove hand. He's so much better with it now, in fact, that he makes a habit out of flashing it just to remind people how far he's come.

Something I was wondering here... the instigator rule... when someone lays a guy out with a clean hit, and then someone else comes into the play and forces the fight, shouldn't that call for an instigator penalty? It just seems to me like they pick and choose when to enforce the rule, and I'm not sure if I fully understand it.

I love the leafs radio commentary - makes the game very exciting. A refreshing change, the other Canadian commentary teams that I listened to have sucked.

EDIT: Holy crap they're winning now :|

EDIT2: Now there's the leafs we know and love.

Edited by Plubby

Guest Mr. Pumpkin Head
I love the leafs radio commentary - makes the game very exciting. A refreshing change, the other Canadian commentary teams that I listened to have sucked.

EDIT: Holy mackinaw they're winning now :|

Fixed that since you're listening to Joe Bowen. :)

No, you didn't Basha. You flat-out said that you'd take Saku (and his numbers) over Miko (however you spell it). I think you probably just didn't realise the other guys' numbers. (I sure didn't, when you reeled off Saku's numbers I was like - yup that's pretty impressive, not realising myself)

EDIT: Basha, while i'm here, you mentioned Price's play. Everyone was calling him on a suspect glove hand that was supposedly injured during the playoff run, and during the pre-season the TSN highlights were..well...highlighting the number of softish goals he was allowing glove side. Has he patched that up? How does the hand seem?

Right now, I'd rather take Saku. He can score, and he brings leadership to your team. Mikko is good and getting better, but right now I am taking Saku.

That final goal in the leafs/devils shootout sounded an awful lot like Luis Mendoza's move in the second Mighty Ducks movie. I can't wait to hopefully see it in the highlights.

It was so cool that you could actually see Marty Brodeur laughing under his mask and making a joke.

I turned the game on expecting a 2-1 final or something close and defensive like that... what we got was a 6-5 back and forth slobberknocker. It was a hell of a game to watch.

Also, Jeff Finger... I told you guys he was a good pickup for Toronto. He put Zubrus ass first onto the Toronto bench. I was surprised to not see that in any highlights before I turned off the TV.

Plubby... read this sentence...

you might just be right Clawson, but I'll take Saku's 4 goals and 6 assists in the first 8 games to help propel the Habs to a 6-1-1 record and the best goal differential in the league over his younger brother right now...

see the last part where I say over his younger brother right now? That kinda implies that I'm not flat out staking a claim as Saku being the better brother, but just having a really good start to the season, and would want him more... right now.

Also, Price has done a lot of work on his glove hand, his game is getting more complete, he lets in a strange goal from time to time, but he's been pretty dang solid and has a 4-1-1 record in nets, one of those losses includes coming in after we were already down 4-2 against Anaheim.

I didn't see it, but high sticking is generally a black and white issue. Either his stick hit someone in the face...or it didn't...

If it was a phantom call, then I could understand being upset about it... but if his stick touched anyone's face at all, it's a penalty.

Cooke lifted his stick up to get around a guy and it looked like his fist caught the guy in the mouth, not his stick.

My favorite color analyst of all-time Bob Errey hated the call and I can't argue with the Bibster.

It didn't really matter because when you only get 11 shots you don't deserve to win, but it would have been nice for the Pens to at least have a chance to tie it up.