2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To blame the Canucks bad drafting on Brian Burke I think is a bit unfair. Burke did not have a good scouting staff, as can be seen by the drafting record of Dave Nonis (who, despite a Jannick Hansen or Kevin Bieksa here or there, drafted mostly bums and busts, and Bourdon). The Canucks drafting suffered from bad scouts and sure, Burke blew it with Umberger and Kolstov was a massive failure, but he wasn't solely responsible.

Montreal beat Florida, the only team with a winning record lifetime against Montreal 3-1 last night. Not much to say on the game other than Tanguay has seriously rejuvinated Koivu, and Halak played like a pimp for our 5th win a row. I'm sure we'll lose that streak on sat when we host the Ducks.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

TSN is reporting that a lot of governors would like a second team in Toronto. Unfortunately, there are two who wouldn't, and those are the two who matter at this point.

TSN is reporting that a lot of governors would like a second team in Toronto. Unfortunately, there are two who wouldn't, and those are the two who matter at this point.

I don't think Buffalo would like to see another team in Toronto, and the Maple Leafs are usually very protective of their territory despite what Richard Peddie says.

And Ryan Smyth's second goal was a thing of beauty, as Plubby said. And he is on my fantasy team, so seeing him get two goals is extra good.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Those would be the two I was referring to, yes. The only way it could work is if it was just outside both teams' indemnification zones, which coincidentally would also be the most convenient for me. :shifty:

Considering the Raptors and Leafs and Rock already use the place plus all of those concerts that make good money, I doubt they could find space in the schedule without making some big changes.

Also, they could put a team in Hamilton or Waterloo/Kitchener and still have the team hailed from "Toronto".

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Well Hamilton's still within the 50km. I remember when the rumours were flying around about Balsille, somebody noted that the 50km would end just before a big parcel of unused land right off the 401 in Cambridge.

I think Basha's point was that with Montreal looking really good, and Anaheim looking really bad - it'll probably be a role reversal and they'll end up winning.

I don't think he actually thinks the Ducks are this awesome team.

Kind of like when the Redskins lost to the Rams the other week when most people assumed that the Redskins would probably win.

Clear?

But if the Redskins lot to the Rams and beat the Cowboys, the Saints are clearly better than the Eagles.

Smytty's goal was sexy, best goal I've seen this season (admittedly, I've not seen as much as I'd like). Good to see the Duke's got the hot hand too. And Stastny with a point in every game so far, if the defense can get its act together and there's some consistency between the pipes, the Avs could be dangerous this year. Sadly though, it's a big if :/

Bwahahahahaha I just traded Mark Bell for Michael Grabner in NHL 09. :shifty:

Mark Bell is always used as trade bait by me. He isn't awful and you can score with him, but I want more quick players and he is rated well enough that you can get someone decent for him.