2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

Martin Havlat scored a fantastic goal tonight. Also, Fabian Brunnstrom scored a hat-trick in his debut against Nashville...but a lot of the credit has to go to Brad Richards.

Seeing Montreal blow a 3 goal lead made me feel better about Toronto doing it against St. Louis on Monday. At least the Canadiens managed to get the win in the shoot-out. The whole "Ring of Honour" ceremony was cool.

Also, just want to mention to teams starts. The Rangers are 5-1 while Anaheim is now 0-4.

Edited by Toe

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grapehead

Phoenix/Chicago was a good game. Tonight is Pittsburgh/Washington, which I'm fully psyched for. Brunnstrom becomes the third player to debut with a hat trick, all set up by another guy that had a huge debut with the Stars(Richards). Yahoo servers crash from everyone scrambling to add Brunnstrom and/or trade for him I imagine.

What is with the Blackhawks firing Savard as coach after only 4 games?
With the ownership changeover maybe they want to get an entirely new staff down the line too? The old one wasn't doing much, Savard included, so.

I liked Savard in Chicago. I really like the 'Hawks too, so hopefully the new ownership knows what they're doing.

The Habs/Bruins game from the other night. I thought Montreal absolutely dominated the first 25 minutes, then just sat back and let Boston come at them. Thomas made a couple of huge saves whenever Montreal decided that they felt like playing again.

I think that Boston deserved to tie the game, but that goal was bullshit... so were the refs, they went from calling everything the second any player came into contact with another, to completely putting the whistles away, which led to a lot of clutching and grabbing and hooking. Ya gotta call the game consistantly.

Still though it's 2 points that I'll take, and hopefully they'll take care of the Coyotes tomorrow night, I was at the last home game against Phoenix where the Habs won 5-2, but this is a much different team, hopefully will be a good game to watch.

How has catching the Avs matches been for you Dragsy?

Been working all week, haven't really had chance to try. I did quickly try that SopCast to get the Avs/Oilers game alst Sunday, but I just got a black screen with the occasional flicker. Figured it either wasn't working, or I was trying too early.

A lot of them you'll just be able to catch through websites without downloading the clients. I see a lot of people requesting them to be put on stuff like SopCast and stuff but a lot of the stuff I've watched has just been on mogulus and stuff like that.

Anyways, keep trying - if you have a decent connection and a good stream then it will work fine. I sometimes have problem but my connection is a bit fragile so its not surprising.

Keep trying, good luck.

I wasn't sure if that included mentioning the names of websites or places to do so. All I really did is say where I watch my hockey games, there isn't anything visible on the message boards that really say "how" to obtain it exactly.

But I will watch out for future reference, obviously it's hard work living in England and wanting to watch NFL/NHL when we can. But, I'll make sure I don't say anything on the boards that could be taken the wrong way in future.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

If you don't mind. PMs or whatever are fine, and I definitely don't want to warn any of you for it, so as long as you're not giving explicit step-by-step guides, you'll be fine. Just a reminder. :)

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I had awesome seats (second row!) for tonight's Kitchener/Belleville game.

A little bit of background - this was their first meeting since last year's OHL finals, which Kitchener won in seven. In the offseason, Kitchener lost its ten best players to either the NHL or the AHL, while Belleville stayed mostly intact (in the only significant move I'm aware of, they traded their backup goalie to Kitchener - he's now our starter - for a guy who wouldn't play for us).

We won 5-4 in a shootout. :D

And our fans are awesome. PK Subban is someone Basha should be a little familiar with, a Habs prospect who is both a huge guy and a huge puck hog. By the end of the game, the fans around me were yelling out "HIT 'EM!" every time Subban touched the puck, even in the shootout. We don't like PK Subban. :D

Raycroft to Start

Granato announced following Friday’s practice that Andrew Raycroft will get his second straight start when the Avalanche takes on the Dallas Stars Saturday at 12:00 p.m. MT at American Airlines Center.

*worried again*

If Raycroft makes any sort of comeback, I would be amazed. Even when Toskala went out injured, he was just horrible. I supported him to my friends when he won 37 games for Toronto, but last year he was just horrible. If he plays well for Colorado this year, why couldn't he do that for Toronto last year?

Two goals on 18 shots and a sum total of one noteworthy save did not deserve another start IMO - but Granato is certainly no idiot. He's pretty shrewd.

Do you want a goaltending issue in Colorado? Starting Raycroft for back to back games is going to create that. They said, coming into the season, that Budaj was the number one guy... and they should stick with that. Doing otherwise is likely to do more harm than good. Had they opened the season by announcing plans to split duties between the two goalies, that would have been different.

You need to give Budaj the time to right the ship, get his game in check and prove that he can (or can't) be a number one goalie. We're less than two weeks into the season... there's no need to freak out.