2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

Yes, so dirty. Can't believe how dirty we are.

So all our slew footing and dirty hitting eh? Well there was Grabs who tried to slash Pleks in the face, Gerber who went after Pleks, Kubina who jumped on Laraque's back and Grabs who threw a dirty hit at Markov... I don't think they give penalties to protect players...

And yes, I do have to give it to you, you have stuck by the Leafs for the past 4 years or so, I'm just not going to post myself lamenting the terrible play of 19 players (Kosto is always the exception) to a bunch of Leafs fans.

Point still remains that players like Gerber and Grabovski... who quit on the team because he was a scratch... need to keep their emotions in check. If Montreal's so fucking dirty, how come they weren't constantly called for penalties? I mean against other teams when they play like shit the refs call the penalties... Plekanec tried and succeded(sp?) in getting into the head of Grabs and Gerber. One resulted in 16 minutes of penalties (which is not heroic Ron Wilson) and the other resulted in Gerber taking his mind off the play allowing a goal. Pleks received no penalties on either plays, so... I guess it's not so dirty after all since both happened right in front of refs. I can't even believe we're arguing this. Get some players with the mental maturity higher than a 4th grader. What Pleks did was good hockey, it led to goals, and Grabs taking himself out of the game. Again, no penalties.

On a different note, your lone bright spot in Luke Schenn really needs a great veteran presence to help him out. Toronto is the whore of the league in goals against and I 100% think that Burke needs to focus on defence in the biggest way possible. Manly as his mustache is, guys like Ian White aren't exactly great d-men(if he even is one.. I'm not sure haha)

Also, Plubby, really?... wow, um, no actually, Montreal hasn't taken over from Philly... that's just a silly thing to say, it just seems like you're back on the bandwagon like Be and Clawson. Sorry if I like a team that plays well from time to time.

Kovy is at 15 points in the past 6 games. I was talking to a friend today, saying how it's great that he's got this kind of production now, but there's no way anyone could ever keep up that kind of pace... 2.5 points a game... Then I remembered Gretzky's 212 point season and really was struck by just how amazing he really was.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Plubby, really?... wow, um, no actually, Montreal hasn't taken over from Philly... that's just a silly thing to say, it just seems like you're back on the bandwagon like Be and Clawson. Sorry if I like a team that plays well from time to time.

Yeah, everybody but you's just jumping on the bandwagon. Oh Basha, you are entertainingly deluded.

Are you completely ignoring the facts that Pleckanec hit Gerber and Grabs first? Are you completely ignoring that Laraque forearmed Harrison and that all three dropped the gloves within a second of each other? Are you completely ignoring that numerous hockey anaylsts and some Habs fans without their heads in their asses have called the Grabovski hit clean? Are you completely ignoring that Laraque tried to go after Grabs after the hit even though Dandenault was already there? Seriously? Holy FUCK man.

Are you completely ignoring the facts that Pleckanec hit Gerber and Grabs first?

It's Basha.

Are you completely ignoring that Laraque forearmed Harrison and that all three dropped the gloves within a second of each other?

Basha.

Are you completely ignoring that numerous hockey anaylsts and some Habs fans without their heads in their asses have called the Grabovski hit clean?

Basha.

Are you completely ignoring that Laraque tried to go after Grabs after the hit even though Dandenault was already there? Seriously? Holy FUCK man.

Basha. Of course he is, he's nuts.

Fuck Be, you're not helping. I want him to answer those questions not respond to what you just said which is what will happen.

You clearly haven't grasped this over the X number of years he's been here, HE WILL NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY OF THAT SHIT. He won't acknowledge that Plekanec delivered the first hits, or that analysts have called it a perfectly fine hit, or that Laraque hit Harrison, not ANY of it. He is unsavable!

Manly as his mustache is, guys like Ian White aren't exactly great d-men(if he even is one.. I'm not sure haha)

Poor Ian White. He didn't even do anything and he's getting hauled into this. >_<

You mean the offensive defenseman with more goals than any blue liner on the Habs roster outside of Schneider? And being a +5 while averaging 25 minutes or so a game, on a team that has had zero goal tending all season? I'd say that makes him a pretty good defenseman, especially when guys like Kubina are -16, and Kaberle is a -14. Maybe not the next Chris Pronger, but pretty good.

Now, getting away from all this bickering: what we need is goal tending. Considering the number of goals we score we could actually have done half decently well with consistent net minding. Some good stay at home defense to help that net minding would be a large plus.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that our team needs a lot of things.

I'll put my hands up, he's got me here...I am on the bandwagon...THE TAVARES BANDWAGON!

*tank tank tank tank tank tank tank*

It's obvious Basha has nothing when he's accusing me of bandwagoning, as I have ALWAYS disliked the Habs and their fans, and I haven't abandoned my support of Colorado...precisely which bandwagon am I supposed to be jumping on?

I'll put my hands up, he's got me here...I am on the bandwagon...THE TAVARES BANDWAGON!

*tank tank tank tank tank tank tank*

It's obvious Basha has nothing when he's accusing me of bandwagoning, as I have ALWAYS disliked the Habs and their fans, and I haven't abandoned my support of Colorado...precisely which bandwagon am I supposed to be jumping on?

Incidentally, this is why I'm rooting for the Islanders to tank harder. I cannot stand the thought of Tavares in Colorado and potentially playing alongside Stastny, because that is a pairing that will TEAR SHIT UP.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if I had the choice between Tavares and Hedman...I'd be pretty tempted to take Hedman. In the case of Toronto, we already have a pretty clogged system of defensemen, but we don't have anyone I'd say is a bona fide franchise calibre blue liner (barring possibly Schenn).

How often do you get the chance at a defenseman that can possibly step right into the NHL and make an impact, which is how this guy is being projected? Guys on the back end like that very rarely ever come along, the only thing less common would be NHL ready goalies.

Not that I'd pass up the chance at Tavares, of course. Just musing a little bit.

Also, speaking of goalies to look at...I wonder who will end up taking Olivier Roy? He's got the name, and his play with the Screaming Eagles has been very good. Both Colorado and Toronto could use a prospect of his caliber.

If only he wasn't a fucking lunatic...

He'll fit right in then on the Leafs.

Between Grabovski's uncontrollable rage-fits and Luke Schenn's calculated evil, the Leafs could end up being a team full of unpredictable guys you don't want to fuck with. So, I say, draft Roy. People will be afraid to fuck with the team, for fear of possibly being erased, checked from behind, or beaten up by the goalie.

He'll fit right in then on the Leafs.

Between Grabovski's uncontrollable rage-fits and Luke Schenn's calculated evil, the Leafs could end up being a team full of unpredictable guys you don't want to fuck with. So, I say, draft Roy. People will be afraid to fuck with the team, for fear of possibly being erased, checked from behind, or beaten up by the goalie.

I'd mark. We'd have Lawful Evil (Schenn), Neutral Evil (Grabs) and Chaotic Evil (Roy), fucking eh.

I won't laugh about Schneider getting hurt, because I rather like the guy. All I'll say is karma is a bitch, and poor Mike Van Ryn get's some measure of revenge. Even though Schneider had nothing to do with it.

EDIT:

Someone made an interesting point today when I was talking to them. Leafs fans...would you be willing to trade:

- Tomas Kaberle

- 1st Round Pick

- 2nd Round Pick

- 3rd Round Pick

To the Islanders, for their first round pick this year?

Edited by Drifter_2000

I won't laugh about Schneider getting hurt, because I rather like the guy. All I'll say is karma is a bitch, and poor Mike Van Ryn get's some measure of revenge. Even though Schneider had nothing to do with it.

EDIT:

Someone made an interesting point today when I was talking to them. Leafs fans...would you be willing to trade:

- Tomas Kaberle

- 1st Round Pick

- 2nd Round Pick

- 3rd Round Pick

To the Islanders, for their first round pick this year?

Nope. I think we can do more with our own top pick and the other picks plus Kaberle, whether that means moving Kaberle for more picks or not. That would be too much to move for just one prospect when we need to fill a ton of holes on our roster.

3 games left for each team... the Flames use their game in hand to down the Kings tonight and go up 2 points on the Canucks.

Tomorrow night's game could clinch the Northwest Division for us, if we beat Vancouver...and if the last two games for each team are any indication, I'm thinking it looks pretty good for Calgary.