2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

So yeah, with ten shut outs on the season...anyone else thinking Steve Mason is the real deal?

I've been rooting for the Jackets to make it all season, and with Mason between the pipes they've been able to do it with the worst power play in the league. The guy is pretty impressive.

Roman Cechmanek.

If Mason puts up a similar performance next year, and I very much hope he does, then we can start calling him the real deal.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, he's gotta show consistency from year-to-year... but it's looking good right now.

If he doesn't win the Calder Trophy this year, then there is something seriously fucked up about the way awards are decided. No other rookie in the league has done as much for their team as Steve Mason.

Yeah, he's gotta show consistency from year-to-year... but it's looking good right now.

If he doesn't win the Calder Trophy this year, then there is something seriously fucked up about the way awards are decided. No other rookie in the league has done as much for their team as Steve Mason.

The Calder is a lock. The question is now who's going to challenge him for the Vezina.

A couple months ago, I would have said Tim Thomas, hands down.

This season has been full of goalies reaching new records and/or lots of really feel-good moments... but no one's been nearly as consistent as Mason this year. Thomas dropped off, Nabokov's been okay, Kipper and Luongo both have been good, but nothing worthy of the Vezina.

I think it should go to Mason, with an honorable mention to that other Mason guy in St. Louis. Chris Mason has had an outstanding year, keeping his team in the hunt despite a plethora of injuries on an already shallow team.

Chris Mason in St. Louis would be a good choice. He's basically helped carry that team from the gutters to near playoff contention.

I'm not sure about his record...but Dwayne Roloson has had like thirty straight starts. Can they give the poor bastard a trophy for that? LOL

The thing I don't like about the Edmonton situation, is that Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers never actually lost the number one spot. They just shelved him for unknown reasons and went with Garon/Roloson until they dealt Garon to Pittsburgh... and ever since, it's been the 37 year-old Roloson shouldering the load on his own.

He's playing well, and I really like the guy... but Deslauriers is, or would have been, the future of that team. Way to develop a potential franchise goalie, MacTavish. Cock.

I think the basic idea is that Roloson has been playing his guts out, and the Oilers desperately need to get into the playoffs. You always have to ride the hot goaltender. It's just a shame that JDD get's left on the bench. Roli made over fifty saves last night against Anaheim and the Oilers still won. In fact, the only reason the Oilers seem to be winning at all is because of Roloson's stellar play.

If Edmonton make it into the playoffs I'd seriously be considering Roloson for MVP. How many 39 year old goaltenders can make 30+ straight starts and be as solid in net as he has? It's quite incredible.

Speaking of the total opposite, you have poor CuJo. He didn't seem ready last night at all, especially on the first goal, There were some weird bounces, but overall 2 goals on 4 shots is unacceptable. The Leafs could have won last night if they hadn't gotten dug into such a hole.

On the other hand Pogge came in and played a solid game. Looked more steady in net than any time I've seen him with the big club yet. Controlled his rebounds better, saw the puck better, anticipated better...just plain played better. The one goal that did go in wasn't horrible, just a result of losing the puck and no one being able to clear it in time. Same thing practically happened to Miller last night too.

I don't think the Calder is a lock for Steve Mason. Pekka Rinne has also played his heart out for Nashville and if the Predators can hang on to a playoff spot, I think you have to take a long look at both Mason and Rinne. Mason has more shutouts and a better GAA, but Rinne has the better save percentage and is only 3 shutouts away from Mason with 9 less games played.

I'm a big fan of Rinne too - big dude, big ability. Plus - Pekka Rinne is an awesome name. Where is Hajjhowe to get on the Rinne-wagon?

Looking at the playoffs as they stand - I would actually be really excited if the west stays as-is. Four teams in there that haven't seen much of it lately, and some good young talent in those lineups. If Montreal drops in the East for Florida, that would be super-exciting too.

The sad thing about Rinne is the fact that he's pretty well entirely under the radar. Being in Nashville makes him a bit of a secret.

Also: Justin Pogge is no where near ready to play at the NHL level. I was hoping after a solid performance filling in for CuJo he'd be ready to roll against Boston. Sadly he just basically collapsed, like usual.

I wouldn't mind us drafting another goalie prospect this year. Just to give ourselves another option.

Don Taylor's "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey Pekka Rinne" call makes him my favourite. :D

Double post, but fuck you guys for not talking.

So the Canucks and Flames are now only 1 point apart and both teams have seven games left. Their schedules are below. I'm predicting loses for both teams against the Wild, because they're in full spoiler mode, and write offs for both teams against the Kings and Avalanche. I think the key games are both teams games against the others, and naturally, the game against each other. I've bolded the games I think the team in question will win below, and will do the math when I'm done.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 Sharks Flames

Thu Apr 2, 2009 Flames Stars

Fri Apr 3, 2009 Flames Wild

Mon Apr 6, 2009 Kings Flames

Tue Apr 7, 2009 Flames Canucks

Fri Apr 10, 2009 Flames Oilers

Sat Apr 11, 2009 Oilers Flames

Tue Mar 31, 2009 Canucks Wild

Thu Apr 2, 2009 Ducks Canucks

Sat Apr 4, 2009 Canucks Oilers

Sun Apr 5, 2009 Avalanche Canucks

Tue Apr 7, 2009 Flames Canucks

Thu Apr 9, 2009 Kings Canucks

Sat Apr 11, 2009 Canucks Avalanche

I think the Flames for sure have it in them to beat the Kings and the Stars, and the Canucks can pick up victories over the struggling Avs and Kings, and likely the Ducks as well. That would give the Canucks 8 points down the stretch, and the Flames only four. So those tight games, the Oilers games, and the Canucks/Flames game, become so important, as do any shootout/overtime losses. I think by pure schedule, the Canucks have the better chance of making it, but if the Canucks lose all those unmarked games and the Flames win theirs, big trouble in little Vancouver.

I said four assured points. I think they lose against the Sharks (edit: and the Wild, but I think the Canucks job to the Wild as well), and the rest of the games are toss ups.

Edited by SeanDMan

I said four assured points. I think they lose against the Sharks (edit: and the Wild, but I think the Canucks job to the Wild as well), and the rest of the games are toss ups.

Oh, well in the case of the Canucks I wouldn't call the Ducks assured points seeing as they're 1 point away from being in the playoffs again.