2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ottawa sends Vermette to Columbus for Pascal Leclaire and a second rounder.

Leclaire is a starter. The only reason Mason is the #1 in Columbus is because Pascal Leclaire suffered a long term injury. He will be the #1 there, he is a young netminder and he can move the franchise forward.

Vermette is young too. He will get a chance to be Rick Nash's center. He was never a top six guy in Ottawa, but he has produced before and this is his shot to become a true top six forward. Maybe playing with Ken Hitchcock with improve his game.

I love this first trade.

Ottawa's looking towards next year. They lost Vermette, who's potential is outstanding... but they addressed a glaring need in goal by acquiring a legit number one goalie in Pascal Leclaire.

Also, a 2nd Round Pick heads to Ottawa, which makes the deal that much better for them.

Columbus, on the other hand, is staring down the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, had a moveable asset in Leclaire, and acquired a good, young piece they needed for this run.

Look for the Jackets to pick up a veteran backup though later in the day.

Columbus, if they have the cap space, could pick up Brenden Morrison off of waivers.

Morrison would be a great guy to play center on a line with Vermette.

Pierre McGuire is spot-on about Vermette, when he said that he can play center, but he thinks the game much better as a winger.

I'm glad you brought that up, because I would love to see that happen.

In terms of goalies for Columbus, Martin Gerber might be an attractive option at this point, especially since he's a UFA after season's end. That depends entirely on him not being claimed by anyone else though.

Columbus, if they have the cap space, could pick up Brenden Morrison off of waivers.

Morrison would be a great guy to play center on a line with Vermette.

Pierre McGuire is spot-on about Vermette, when he said that he can play center, but he thinks the game much better as a winger.

I'm glad you brought that up, because I would love to see that happen.

In terms of goalies for Columbus, Martin Gerber might be an attractive option at this point, especially since he's a UFA after season's end. That depends entirely on him not being claimed by anyone else though.

Columbus is good. They have Dubbie in their system!

Just an observation here...

I was thinking about what Toronto needs, and here it is. Look at the Montreal Canadiens. They have a good team on the ice right now, but if they decided to scrap it and retool, look at the pieces they have in the system. They have the Kostitsyn brothers, two key offensive guys who could be franchise type players. They have PK Subban coming up, and he has all the tools to be a good offensive defender. And they have two good young goaltenders in Halak and Price. They have a good team now and the players to build around in the near future.

Look at Toronto. Even when they had a decent team coming out of the lockout, they did not have any kind of young players they could build around. Luke Schenn is a step in the right direction. They can add players in free agency and by trades, but I would like them to add some young players they can build around for years, and I would love to see the Leafs rebuild their farm system and "restock" the cupboard.

Potential of Olli Jokinen to Calgary...

eh... I'm a little weary of this. First, they're likely giving up a roster player, and I don't think that's a good idea. Two, Jokinen's set at $5.5 next season, and I'd much rather have Camalleri locked up long term, than add Jokinen for a playoff push and make it that much harder to re-sign some of these guys who've made the Flames so good this year.

Cammy, Adrian Aucoin and Todd Bertuzzi are the top 3 UFA's on the Calgary roster, and acquiring Jokinen puts a pretty big kabosh on trying to re-sign any of them. I don't like it.

EDIT: I want TSN Boxers.

Edited by Gabriel

Jordan Leopold returns to the Calgary Flames, and Colorado gets a 2nd rounder, an unnamed prospect and a spare part.

I love this trade.

We picked up Nycholat on waivers from Ottawa, so that's no big deal. Our cupboards are stocked, so losing picks isn't a huge issue either.

Leopold is someone I see as equal to/or greater than Mark Giordano. With Gio out right now, Leopold should be able to step in here and really help out.

Leopold is better then Giordano, although Giordano is good. That is great for their defensive depth, and I think Leopold may be better on the powerplay then Aucoin, at least as a passer. If this is Calgary's only move, they have improved themselves. If they somehow add Jokinen, they may become the favourite in the West. The whole "never played in the playoffs" knock on Jokinen would be really discounted by playing him with Iggy.

Leopold is better then Giordano, although Giordano is good. That is great for their defensive depth, and I think Leopold may be better on the powerplay then Aucoin, at least as a passer. If this is Calgary's only move, they have improved themselves. If they somehow add Jokinen, they may become the favourite in the West. The whole "never played in the playoffs" knock on Jokinen would be really discounted by playing him with Iggy.

Adding Jokinen would be an awesome move if you're thinking solely about what happens this season.

The reality of the situation though, is that he has term left on his deal, and bringing in Jokinen means moving out some players, or not being able to re-sign those three key guys that I mentioned earlier. I don't think the long term trade-off is worth it... but I'd love to have him.

EDIT: A quiet little deal sneaks in here.

Pittsburgh acquires Andy Wozniewski from St. Louis (?) for Danny Richmond.

St. Louis wins that deal. Wozniewski isn't going to make a difference, and Richmond has a better long term upside.

EDIT 2: Gerber to Toronto... Brendan Morrison to Dallas. Good temporary replacement for Brad Richards, who can move down the lineup when he returns. Nice move.

Edited by Gabriel

Gerber is a Leaf, Brenden Morrison is a Dallas Star.

I'm going to stop posting when stuff happens, and just post my reaction to it a bit later. Don't want to have 4 people announce a move like that again, and I already got to post first regarding Leopold and Leclaire.

Edited by Toe

12:05 - The Leafs have picked up Martin Gerber on waivers.

I don't even have a joke for this.

-from downgoesbrown, the same guy who does the Burke twitter

And that perfectly describes how I feel about it. I'm trying to think of one but I can't.

12:05 - The Leafs have picked up Martin Gerber on waivers.

I don't even have a joke for this.

-from downgoesbrown, the same guy who does the Burke twitter

And that perfectly describes how I feel about it. I'm trying to think of one but I can't.

I don't understand why anyone would joke about it.

Gerber isn't a superstar goalie by any means, but he's a competent netminder.

Now, I didn't see anything wrong with shutting down Toskala and handing it over to Pogge/Joseph to finish the season...but this is the way they're going.

Gerber is a UFA at the end of the season, which is also another reason why I don't understand it. Maybe they're planning on trying to sign him for a more reasonable price, and having him backup Toskala next season?

Either way, Martin Gerber is a guy who, like Vesa Toskala, was put into an unenviable position, in a tough market. Both guys are good goalies who've received tough breaks due to ridiculous expectations in shitty situations.

Gerber being a UFA is the only thing that makes sense in this.

Haha...I love the Burke twitter...

Just got back from a Tim Hortons run. Why are all the other front office guys crowded around the waiver wire machine, trying not to laugh?
Edited by Clawson

The problem is that Toskala was playing great and even though it was unlikely, it looked like he was going to lead us on another late season playoff push. Those are always entertaining, even when they end up failing.

I am a bit disappointed that, with Kaberle seemingly off the market, it is very doubtful that we get a first round pick today. Even if they weren't top five picks, getting two good forwards in the first round of the draft would be a big step forward. Hopefully we can do something in the off season and get another first round pick.