2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

I'm calling it now...

Marian Gaborik lands in Pittsburgh... the Penguins make it to the Eastern finals... Gaborik leaves and signs with the Stanley Cup Champions.

Pittsburgh loses an early round draft pick, two roster players and Ray Shero's job.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moore and Antropov are both sitting out tonight's game against New Jersey.

According to TSN this is the situation with Moore:

“Moore, believed to be originally seeking a deal averaging $2.75 per season, softened his demand after the Maple Leafs table a counter offer at less than $2 million on Monday evening. The two sides continued to negotiate on Tuesday and sources say Moore once again softened in hopes of closing the gap to encourage a deal to keep him in his home town. While the negotiation appears stalled at the moment, the door hasn’t been officially closed.”

Shame about Moore; as I really like the guy and his work ethic. If he were willing to settle for $1.75 million a year I'd gladly lock him down.

Comments from Burke during a radio interview today:

- Has been on the phone with Minnesota three times today. Not regarding Gaborik.

- Feels Moore is worth a late second, or early third round pick.

- Hasn't spoken to any teams about Kaberle, expects he'll keep him.

- Has turned down a few offers for Ian White. Feels he's a big part of the future.

- Hasn't ruled out keeping Antropov, would consider a second rounder depending on who it's from.

- Stempniak is a better player than he's shown, just needs better team mates to play with.

- By the end of tomorrow he wants draft picks back. Expects two second rounders.

- He's been very busy and expects to be busy tomorrow. Emphasizes the need to get draft picks back.

Edited by Drifter_2000

Montreal has games against Buffalo, Atlanta and Colorado coming up. Since they went and got Schneider they've been playing pretty well. Halak has been a monster, but really a ton of the shots we give up are from shitty angles so I'm not too concerned, although Komisarek hasn't been the same since Lucic broke him.

Montreal *should* extend their winning streak to 7 playing against 3 non playoff teams, Buffalo is the only team that should pose a real challenge, beat the Sabres and there's no reason they shouldn't beat the Thrashers or the Avalanche... but these are the Habs, who could beat Detroit 2-1 and then lose 6-3 to the Leafs.

I'd like to point out that since he stole the Calder from Ryder, Raycroft has gone on to ruin 2 NHL teams in only 4 years... Kudos.

Anytime I see a goalie give up a weak goal, I always say "Oh, he pulled a Raycroft!".

This...this is NOT Raycroft's fault. I have been OK with Raycroft so far this season, he's performed above expectations. He's still above .500, whereas Budaj is 16-25-1. I lay the blame for our efforts this season at the feet of our awful defense, and Budaj being shit.

Yeah, that's why they totally got schooled by the worst team in the NHL last night.

Budaj was on the bench sucking so hard that the whole team blew it.

Seriously though... Colorado has some major re-tooling to do. Sakic might be done, and really, there isn't a whole lot to be excited about on that team. I wouldn't blow it up, but I do expect to see some major changes.

You know I said some other things in my post aside from "Budaj is shit", right? I said "above expectations" not "flat-out phenomenal" and "awful defense"...some of these things might contribute to a loss to the Islanders...

You know I said some other things in my post aside from "Budaj is shit", right? I said "above expectations" not "flat-out phenomenal" and "awful defense"...some of these things might contribute to a loss to the Islanders...

I know, I know. I was jesting.

Colorado really should be looking to make some moves tomorrow. If they can rid themselves of Budaj and/or Raycroft, that would be a good start. Make a pitch for one of the available number one goalies either tomorrow or come July 1st.

Next, on defense, a guy like Jay Bouwmeester is going to be available this summer. If Florida holds onto him past tomorrow at 3 Eastern, he will for sure end up as a UFA on July 1st, and there's a good guy to grab on Defense.

The Avalanche have a number of good young forwards, but Smyth and Lappy might be on their way out, and with Sakic possibly not returning, they'll have to snag a couple of veteran free agent forwards on July 1st as well.

Next season isn't beyond saving... but how serious they are about that will be shown tomorrow by how hard they try to re-tool and sell off guys who just aren't going to be a part of Avalanche success.

7th straight OT game for the Leafs extending a franchise record.

Any Kaberle trade reports? NJ broadcasters just noticed he hasn't been on the ice on a while but is on the bench. Any reports on Canadian TV?

Edited by sahyder1

7th straight OT game for the Leafs extending a franchise record.

Any Kaberle trade reports? NJ broadcasters just noticed he hasn't been on the ice on a while but is on the bench. Any reports on Canadian TV?

Kaberle is supposedly out with an injury.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking of it...John Mitchell showed tonight exactly why Dominic Moore isn't worth more than 1.75 million a season. Give him some more time to develop and we've got a solid bottom six center.

Edited by Drifter_2000

Yeah, they said it was an injury and nothing more.

So exit Moore, John Mitchell takes his place without much haste. More Blake/Mitchell, ASAP!

They had some really great chemistry, Mitchell and Blake, that is. More ice time certainly wouldn't hurt Mitchell either.

Talks with Moore have officially broken off and Burke is now totally intent on getting a trade going for him.

Also been hearing that the Leafs may claim Martin Gerber off of waivers so they can give Toskala the rest of the season off to get himself healed up and ready for surgery. Pogge is currently struggling to even maintain the starting spot on the Marlies, and there's little confidence that CuJo can get it done in net.

Being at work for the deadline is going to be a relief. Just sit back and like the trade news come to me, instead of sitting in the house like a zombie all day. I swear I will refresh TSN.ca no more than every 5 minutes.

On a serious note...John Mitchell=sexy.

I'll take that with a double Schenn Burger and large Vesa Tosa-kola. Three strapping men, if I may say.

And I'm not even drunk.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I'm waking up at 6 AM to watch the coverage all the way through til 1 PM.

I usually don't wake up until about noon, so I mean... I love my hockey.

Some interesting news items tonight, but some good games too. Kunitz and the Penguins defeat the Lightning and look like a team who (when Malkin gets his shit together, and Crosby returns) is going to be a force in the Eastern playoffs.

Not to mention, Iggy nets two more goals, David Moss scores his first career hat trick, and Kiprusoff picks up win 38 of the season. 12 more to go.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Ugh, I have to do a school assignment (basically a film analysis, which is something I've never done at any serious level before) and will barely be able to watch deadline coverage, much less liveblog it. :(

Heh...my friend is obessed with Crosby, and I picked up Kunitz for Dommy Moore before he coudl. Go Clawson.

Now that Crosby has a gritty winger to play with again, I fully expect him to turn it up down the stretch.

Kunitz joins Pascal Dupuis as the only good acquisitions Ray Shero has made in the last two years.

Hopefully he wins me the championship in my friends league. Then I can dance around naked without a care.

P.S. could anybody else see Mitchell's performance as an example of Burke going..."hey look what he can do with your minutes too!" to Moore?

Edited by Clawson

It sounds like Kaberle has reinjured his wrist, and this might take him completely out of trade talks. I think we are going to see less moves from Toronto then we thought we would.

Edited by Toe

Popular rumor in town is that Luongo called up Jay-Bo and asked him what he thought about playing out west. :D