2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBC is being forced to show more Montreal and Ottawa games because Toronto has given more broadcasts to TSN, Sportsnet and LeafsTV. There aren't even enough Leaf games left over to fill up every Saturday night of the year.

I was hoping they'd even it out a bit with more Flames/Oilers games... I'm really starting to get sick of Vancouver dominating the coverage for Western Canadian teams. It's bloody ridiculous. I'm not really an Oilers fan, but they're a lot more exciting to watch than the Canucks have been over the last couple years.

Bad news for Buffalo, good news for the rest of the division.

Ryan Miller has looked pretty bad so far. Montreal is winning 3-0 in their preseason game against the Sabres. Miller looked poor against Toronto, and is looking poor now.

But let's not forget that Tretiak looked horrible when the Canadians scouted him before the Summit Series. :shifty:

Let's also not forget that I made a mistake...it was actually Patrick Lalime in goal for the Sabres.

How dare you insinuate that Patrick Lalime was playing badly!?

......<_<

Also, Basha is such a homer that he collects royalties every time someone says "D'oh"

It sounds like, due to their early start in Europe, the Penguins are going to be playing a lot of starters in tonights preseason game against Toronto. Toronto has more starters then last night, but are still throwing a lot of maybe players. No Kubina or Toskala, Justin Pogge is expected to play the whole game and James Reimer is on the bench as the back-up. Luke Schenn is going to be paired with Tomas Kaberle.

The best thing I can say about Luke Schenn from the last game is that you didn't notice him. He didn't do anything flashy, but he didn't make any mistakes. He was just solid in his own zone.

Oh god. They are going to use the "HNIC" theme. I liked the theme TSN used before! Awwwwwwwwww, this sucks.

Edited by Toe

http://blues.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pag...;galleryId=7201

http://cdn.nhl.com/canadiens/images/upload...09/homepage.jpg

Blues alternate jersey has been revealed, along with the Sabres a few days ago and the Habs' jerseys and the All-Star jerseys. I fucking love the All-Star jerseys, and the Blues jerseys.

The Blues jersey does look pretty awesome. We already know Toronto's third jersey, and I like that one too.

202440232.jpg

I also think every season should start with Toronto facing Ottawa and Montreal and end with Ottawa and Montreal.

Edited by Toe

I'm editting this as I watch the game...

With the first PK out (Steen, Schenn, Kaberle and I don't know who the fourth guy was), Toronto looked pretty good. The second unit did not. Stralman has had a goal scored by Pittsburgh where the puck bounced off of him and into the Toronto net. Same with Boumedienne, who I think is definitly going to the AHL.

Schenn has impressed me and we are only half way through the first period. He needs to gain a little more speed, but he is looking very calm in our zone. Considering who Pittsburgh has out there (Malkin, Sykora and Staal usually), the pairing of Kaberle and Schenn has impressed me.

Stralman has not looked good tonight, in any area of the ice. Pogge has made some tough saves and been screwed by some of his defencemen. I want him to play 70+ games in the AHL this season.

I don't think Hollweg is playing in this game, but he was fantastic last game. He is the type of player we rarely had last year. A hard hitter and a great energy guy.

Fuck off Boumedienne! Now Pierre Maguire is ripping on his for his poor defensive play.

Toronto is having trouble generating any offence this period. Hopefully Ron Wilson will wake them up for the second period. Although, I somehow feel that this may be a common theme throughout the season.

Stralman just fucked up huge in his own zone and gave Malkin a short handed goal. He really needs to work on playing defence in his own zone.

The Leafs are doing a poor job of holding on to the puck when on offence, while the Penguins are cycling well.

Edited by Toe

I like what I see out of the Leafs, potentially... they have some really good players this year, and might actually benefit from not having guys like Sundin or McCabe to lean on.

I do though, believe that a couple of the D-men who are more likely to make the team than Schenn is... are absolutely atrocious. There's no reason to send Luke Schenn back to junior when he's easily the most composed guy on your team. I know there's the risk of him not being mature enough to handle the men's league right now, but look what happened with Pogge... they worried too much about hurting him early on, that with just one year left on his entry level deal, he's still yet to see any real action... and I think that's seriously going to harm his long term potential. Schenn will benefit from being a top four defenseman right now... and the Leafs would benefit from having him there.

I didn't see the last period, just saw the highlights. Good to see the Leafs compete against a Pittsburgh line-up that featured a lot of their regulars. Pogge was strong in goal and Luke Schenn might play his way on to this team. Boumedienne was a long shot to make the team anyway, but most people thought Stralman would be with the Leafs. He looked out of place in the defensive zone and it is not like he helped out a ton on offence. Frogren didn't look bad though.

The Schneider deal finally happened... sent to Atlanta in exchange for another veteran D-Man, though of much less ability, in Ken Klee, and two forward prospects I've never heard of.

No Hockey on TV for me now until Tuesday...which sucks. Two nights in a row, I'm given a game to watch, and now it's taken away from me again. Blah.

I am going to miss the old NHL on TSN theme when the season starts.. :(