2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

So alot of interesting news that happened the past couple of days, but I have to say I like the addition of Newy to our front office and the resigning of Stajan.

And the Blues offering a offer sheet to Bernier was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$2.5 for Bernier wasn't a ridiculous offer sheet like Kevin Lowe is used to giving out. It's fair market value for a guy who can be extremely important to either team. The Canucks matched, and both teams were extremely classy about it. I like that.

If it was Edmonton, Steve Bernier would be making $7 million next season... :shifty:

Ray Emery is headed to Russia because no one wanted to take a chance on him in the NHL... and his agent is surprised... really?

I wonder if the Continental League games will be available for vieweing at all this season.

I am surprised that Emery didn't sign with a team here in the NHL. I am sure there were some offers, but the money is good for Emery in Eastern Europe so he made his decision to leave the league.

Pavol Demitra signed with the Canucks today, officially.

2 years at $4 mil per season. Not bad, considering Naslund and Morrison probably would have wanted similar deals from the 'Nucks. I'd rather Demitra over the two of them any day.

Demitra can play the wing as well.

He's a good addition, but he's not enough.

Demitra can play the wing as well.

He's a good addition, but he's not enough.

They need some people to play with him. I am not that up-to-date with everyone on the Canucks, but I know they lack scoring wingers. They only need a mediocre scorer to play with the Sedin twins (like Anson Carter a few seasons back) but I can't really name off the top of my head anyone on that team that could play with Demitra except Kesler, and I don't know if he is that good of a scorer yet.

EDIT - Kesler scored 21 goals last year. He is on his way. And they just acquired Steve Bernier - he is a bit slow on his skates but can score so he could also be an option. Kyle Wellwood is with Vancouver, but unless he starts training with Gary Roberts, I don't see him doing any more then he did here with the Leafs last season.

Edited by Toe

You're forgetting about Mason Raymond, who had a very good season last year. With more room on the team, he should get more playing time. There's also a couple other young guys I'm forgetting... but the Canucks will be more than fine as long as the top line is there to score when the other guys aren't.

This whole thing with Alexander Radulov is confusing and stupid. From what I hear, the deal does not only break the "handshake" agreement the NHL and European Leagues recently announced, but it also breaks rules set by the KHL (the league that Radulov would be going to) and in the end, the contract Radulov signed may just be voided by the commissioner of that league.

This whole situation sucks for Nashville. They either lose a highly touted prospect who was showing some serious skills or they keep a player who just wants to leave when his contract expires.

Makes NO sense whatsoever to me that Radulov bolts. Why come over and play in the Q if you want to play in Russia? Stupid.

Steve Bernier will be playing with the Sedins. Pavol Demitra will too. If Mats Sundin signs, he will likely move over to the right wing and play with the Sedins. Everyone the Canucks signs is a new linemate for the Sedins. I remember last year, all the talk was how Cory Sanford was going to look playing beside the Sedins. It's this endless shuffle with the Sedins and their linemate, but, in the meantime, who is playing with anyone else? We have a bunch of guys who are maybe NHL players, then Demitra and Bernier, and Kesler. And Pyatt if he's still around. Then what?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Paul Fixter (the cousin of mine who was coaching in the Central League, and was coach of the AHL's Hershey Bears before that) is going to be named as the Kitchener Rangers' new assisstant coach/GM tomorrow. That's pretty cool.

My net was on the fritz for the better part of 2 weeks, so if this was already dealt with then fine but...

HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!

Yeh, I dig Laraque. Also, Halak is re-signed. And Gorges 3 years. All we got left to do is keep O'Byrne.

Also, what does anyone think of the Habs having playoff games at the Olympic Stadium? Someone brought this up today, and while it'd be a logistical nightmare, I think it'd be kinda cool considering you can fit somewhere in the area of like 65,000 people there.

My net was on the fritz for the better part of 2 weeks, so if this was already dealt with then fine but...

HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!

Yeh, I dig Laraque. Also, Halak is re-signed. And Gorges 3 years. All we got left to do is keep O'Byrne.

Also, what does anyone think of the Habs having playoff games at the Olympic Stadium? Someone brought this up today, and while it'd be a logistical nightmare, I think it'd be kinda cool considering you can fit somewhere in the area of like 65,000 people there.

I wouldn't want to put Youppi into that awkward situation, going to the home of his former team.