The Summer Transfer Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1919: "got a call at work from the it department asking why i had visited the bbc football website 124 times. Is there something wrong with me?"

anonymous, via text on 81111

Love the response here:

1942: "My dad's a limo driver and he's just texted me saying he had to drop off Gigi Buffon, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Dani Alves, Sergio Ramos, Cristiano Ronaldo, Cesc Fabregas, Steven Gerrard, Lionel Messi, Fernando Torres and Zlatan Ibrahimovic at the City of Manchester Stadium."

kingkennyskop on 606

Decent team, that. No left-back, though.

Edited by -A-

Guest Some Daft Punk

Update on Robinho from the BBC's football website:

1957: Spanish newspapers AS and Marca are both suggesting that Manchester City have made a bid of £28.4m for Real Madrid's Chelsea target Robinho. The day gets ever more ridiculous.

Sometimes I wonder if billionaire owners of clubs realise that there's more to deals than just offering money to other clubs? It's that last day of the transfer window, 4 hours to go and you're suddenly going to travel to Madrid to get someone to make a career changing decision.

Some players take all season to decide, like Ronaldinho...

Sometimes I wonder if billionaire owners of clubs realise that there's more to deals than just offering money to other clubs? It's that last day of the transfer window, 4 hours to go and you're suddenly going to travel to Madrid to get someone to make a career changing decision.

Some players take all season to decide, like Ronaldinho...

What are you basing this on? Rabid media speculation on a day where they have nothing else to do? Added to that, what're the new owners supposed to do? They obviously wanted to get the club bought before the deadline and haven't managed to do that, so they're going public to try and use the excitement to attract players to the club.

I'm doubting Man City sign anyone major tonight. The owners are just putting ridiculous bids out for players to prove to the fans that they're prepared to spend. I think "proper" spending from City will come in January now.

EDIT:

2032: "The only thing that could make this day more absurd is if Man City somehow stole Gareth Barry!"

Scott, Nottingham, via text Stole? Blimey, that's a bit extreme. Surely they can just afford to buy him now?

I just wish this Jonathan Stevenson bloke would just hurry the fuck up and die. He's that annoying. Saying that, so is every other cunt from the BBC who we have on reporting this sort of stuff.

Edited by Baddartyne

Guest Some Daft Punk

Any Hull fans here? Something for you from rivals.net:

BREAKING NEWS: Cousin joins Tigers clan from Glasgow Rangers!

By CI Reporter - 01/09/2008 20:19 News coming into us here at City Independent Towers suggests that Phil Brown has completed the permanent signature of Daniel Cousin from Scottish giants Glasgow Rangers...

Breaking news at Hull City suggests that chairman Paul Duffen and manager Phil Brown have successfully negotiated the transfer of Glasgow Rangers striker Daniel Cousin to the club.

The details are not confirmed but the transfer fee being suggested rates at around the £3m marker and Cousin will be announced as the 11th new signing at the club since promotion to the Premier League.

Although, the details have yet to be fully confirmed, it is believed that Glasgow Rangers, Hull City and the player have agreed a permanent three year contract with the Tigers.

Here at the Towers, soon as we have more details we'll bring you the latest we have. (get me a beer out of the fridge - ed) It's going to be a long night while we all eagerly await news on Fraizer Campbell...

Any Hull fans here? Something for you from rivals.net:

I'm not a massive SPL fan so I've got no idea what sort of a job Cousin will do for us. Any ideas? Does he fit the Fraizer Campbell mould?

That was reported earlier in the day somewhere else but it wasn't really that reputable so I ignored it.

Abu Dhabi, as a city, is trying to build itself onto a level with Dubai and that means trying to bring in foreigners instead of seeing them go to Dubai.

Emirates, a company based in Dubai, have got the massive sponsorship deals around the world, most notably with Arsenal so its obvious that "the jealous little brother" would try to get their own club to play with.