The Summer Transfer Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supporters set to decide transfer

By John Sinnott

A football transfer is to be decided by an internet vote of thousands of supporters for the very first time.

Members of myfootballclub.co.uk (MFC), who own Ebbsfleet United, will decide if they should accept a £140,000 offer from an unnamed club for John Akinde.

"It's quite historic," MFC founder Will Brooks told BBC Sport.

"The summer has been full of talk about Gareth Barry and Cristiano Ronaldo, but this transfer allows fans to have a say in whether it is right for the club."

The 30,000 plus members have 48 hours to decide whether they should sell the highly rated 19-year-old striker, who has played fewer than 20 games for Ebbsfleet.

He has already been watched by Chelsea scouts and the club have turned down an offer for Akinde from League One side Peterborough.

The non-league side's manager Liam Daish and board has recommended the striker should be sold to allow him to play at a higher level.

Players who have recently turned professional like Akinde are unlikely to be earning more than £200 a week.

"The fans are legal owners of the club," added Brooks. "Whereas transfers at other clubs are decided by a few board members this decision will be taken by 30,000 board members."

Earlier this year over 20,000 MyFootballClub members, who had each paid £35 to provide a £700,000 takeover pot, took control of Ebbsfleet, to give each fan an equal share in the club.

Since then members have voted on a number of major decisions affecting the club, including the price of season-tickets to watch Ebbsfleet, but this is the first time a transfer will be decided by the team's fans.

MFC's membership now stands at over 30,000 people, with members living in 122 countries.

"It has become very apparent that members are taking the responsibility of ownership very seriously and considering decisions made so far."

In July MFC members helped raised £20,000 to enable Daish to buy striker Michael Gash from Cambridge.

I think he should be let go.

Any owners on here?

They're having a meeting to discuss the possibly sale of this player. Then they're all going on World of Warcraft together.

See, there's a few things I dislike about this. I've never really liked the idea of the buying of a football club, I'd dislike it even more that 30,000 people, most of whom won't watch me play, may be able to decide my future. But also the idea that they're going to allow any old moron to actually take part in actual business areas of the club? Business that includes money and generally needs to be watched carefully, not let any old person willing to spend £35 get a say in the matter. It's like a glorified game of FM.

So is this a case of Andrews actually being a good player or is it Ince playing favorites/silly buggers?

The latter probably. That said, his signings so far bar Andrews I am in favour of, so fuck knows with Andrews. All I know is that certain Wolves fans are gonna bully me for a while. <_<

Does the guy have some dodgy photos of Ince that we do not know about? Really can not see what he can bring to the team, especially as we have just signed Grella as well. Will give him a chance though, just hope none of our fans boo him, as I know a lot are pissed off about the signing, and hell, if they booed Benni on saturday, I think they will boo Andrews.

To be fair Sunderland picked up Dean Whitehead from Oxford and Liam Lawrence from Mansfield many years ago and both of them are seemingly doing quite well in the Premiership now. Whitehead captained us last year, and Lawrence has obviously settled in with Stoke and is doing well with them at the start of this year.

So don't shit all over it just yet. But, it is possible.

Milners a good signing for Villa, if they can keep Carew, Laursen and their wingers fit, I'd tip them as favourites to break the top four. Sad for Newcastle though and a big blow for Keegan, especially after a good start. Who knows though, they might go into meltdown and Owen will end up at the Tigers. ^_^

We sure need another striker thats for sure.

Edited by Zombie Jesus

If all teams could have a chairman like Randy Lerner, the league would be so awesome. It's made it impossible for me to hate Villa, however much I like to pretend I do to my Villa-supporting mate. And I'll be shocked if Villa don't take 5th now. I backed them to take it from the start, and if Milner can play at his best they might even make it quite easy for themselves. I dunno about anybody breaking into the top four just yet, but they definitely have the best chance. I'm a bit worried that we might see a pretty rigid top 6 emerging as of next season though, assuming Spurs stick with Juande. Players that good can only underperform for a while.