2008 MLB Season

sahyder1

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... riot reports anyone?

There were 76 arrests throughout the city last night and that was considered a good night for the cops. There were two fires that were put out relatively quickly and two overturned cars, along with broken windows and some looting in Center City. There was more damage done in Center City than in South Philly or Mayfair, which is VERY surprising.

And yeah, I live in Mayfair.

Edited by punky

There was virtually nothing in Manayunk (which has a lot of bars), just fireworks and shit. I did hear Center City, Mayfair, etc. from my place though. But all in all, things were tame last night. I'm not going to make it to the parade either. Hopefully the next city I live in wins a World Series or something so I can go to that parade and make up for this haha.

• 2 weeks later...

The Baltimore Orioles unveiled new uniforms and logo today (It's more of an update):

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

You can go there for pictures. I must say, I'm still not happy with the Bird. There's only one cap we should wear. The main thing to be happy about is that we now have "Baltimore" on the road jerseys and the insignia honoring Maryland is awesome, despite of course the really ugly colors. Hopefully these new uniforms will help us in our turnaround... probably not. Of course, at least now I have a Christmas present to ask my parents for.

Outside of the "Baltimore" on the road jersey (which screams of lovely by the way), I can't really tell all that much different. I mean, it pretty much looks the same to me. I'll have to inspect later on when the seasons starts back up and they have the new ones next to the old ones on the clearence rack.

On another note.

FUCK YOU OAKLAND :@

Guest Mr. Potato Head

...no, actually, but I'm looking at it now. It's been rumoured off and on for at least a month now as something possible but extremely unlikely - the biggest arguments in favour are that Rogers could afford any contract, the Jays were Manny's favourite team when he was younger, and he likes being able to blend in to Toronto nightlife. He wouldn't be worth whatever money he's asking, but he'd at least make things fun.

...no, actually, but I'm looking at it now. It's been rumoured off and on for at least a month now as something possible but extremely unlikely - the biggest arguments in favour are that Rogers could afford any contract, the Jays were Manny's favourite team when he was younger, and he likes being able to blend in to Toronto nightlife. He wouldn't be worth whatever money he's asking, but he'd at least make things fun.

It would be really fun, and we would have that big bat in our line up again.

I think the money could be better spent on getting a pitcher and a designated hitter, though. With Marcum likely to miss the season and no AJ Burnett, we need an arm to eat up innings.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

You know what it reminds me of? Signing Clemens before the 1997 season.

We already had a strong rotation - Hentgen was the reigning Cy Young winner, Guzman was still awesome, Woody Williams and Huck Flener were looking like solid MLB material, and there were guys like Eric Hanson and Marty Janzen to eat up the fifth spot (Quantrill as a worst-case scenario). Plus Carpenter and Escobar debuted mid-season. We didn't need another arm.

Offense was another story - Sprague, Carter, and Delgado had tons of power but low averages. Shawn Green was still inconsistent, and Olerud was on his way out.

If we went for one big-money free agent that winter, it should have been a good bat. Instead, we outbid the Yankees and Sox for the Rocket.

It was fun. Let's do it again.

IIRC, he is out for the entire year. Not positive on that though, I could be way wrong.

Marcum is out for the year, McGowan should be back in May. The problem with McGowan though is that we really have no way of knowing how he might pitch when he returns fresh off shoulder surgery. He could be back to 2007 form, he could be irreparably damaged. Right now we've got Doc and Litsch. Realistically it seems reasonable to assume we can fill one slot next year between Downs/Purcey/Cecil/the Romeros. McGowan will be back in May. Beyond that, we need one solid arm and one additional insurance arm.

So unless they want to either go into next year really weak from a starter standpoint or raise the payroll, we're not getting Manny. I'd say this though, I think it'd be fucking hilarious if we signed Manny and then Pedro on a provisional deal. It'd be quite an atmosphere Pedro starts with Manny in the lineup for the first time against the Red Sox at Fenway. And then they could start Josh Beckett and we'd give him nightmares like we did this year.

We do need a starter though. As of right now, we're starting the year with Halladay, Litsch, and nobody else.

Yeah, ya'll need some help

The Jays are only a few good moves this offseason away from being able to contend for the East next year. The problem is, getting a pitcher without giving up the offense that they so desperately need is very difficult. Being a good team in baseball basically comes down to luck these days. You gotta hope your prospects blossom, and blossom in the same 2-3 year span. You gotta hope your free agent signings work out. And you gotta hope that your star players aren't poached before your window opens.

Edited by damshow