2008 MLB Season

sahyder1

So baseball is back at 6 AM ET tomorrow. I'll post my full predictions for the season over the weekend but just wanted to throw out a little friendly competition here. I've been doing these the past few years for all the sports with friends. I've had a decent track record with these so why not bring them to this board. Simple drill. Copy the list and leave a comment indicating whether you think that the team's win total this year will be over or under the listed number. I'm getting these #s off of Vegas Watch.

Listed below are my picks:

Arizona UNDER 86.5

Atlanta UNDER 86

Baltimore UNDER 65

Boston UNDER 94

Chicago (NL) OVER 87.5

Chicago (AL) UNDER 76

Cincinnati OVER 76.5

Cleveland UNDER 91

Colorado OVER 83

Detroit OVER 93.5

Florida OVER 68.5

Houston UNDER 73.5

Kansas City OVER 73.5

LA Angels OVER 92

LA Dodgers OVER 87.5

Milwaukee OVER 84

Minnesota OVER 73.5

NY Mets OVER 92.5

NY Yankees UNDER 94

Oakland UNDER 74

Philadelphia OVER 88

Pittsburgh OVER 68.5

San Diego OVER 85

San Francisco UNDER 72

Seattle UNDER 85

St. Louis UNDER 77

Tampa Bay OVER 72

Texas OVER 75

Toronto OVER 84

Washington OVER 71.5

Use the same numbers and post your predictions

Edited by sahyder1

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arizona- OVER 86.5

Atlanta- UNDER 86

Baltimore- UNDER 65

Boston- OVER 94

Chicago C- OVER 87.5

Chicago W- OVER 76

Cincinnati- UNDER 76.5

Cleveland- UNDER 91

Colorado- OVER 83

Detroit- OVER 93.5

Florida- UNDER 68.5

Houston- OVER 73.5

Kansas City- UNDER 73.5

LA Angels- UNDER 92

LA Dodgers- OVER 87.5

Milwaukee- OVER 84

Minnesota- OVER 73.5

NY Mets- OVER 92.5

NY Yankees- OVER 94

Oakland- UNDER 74

Philadelphia- OVER 88

Pittsburgh- UNDER 68.5

San Diego- UNDER 85

San Francisco- UNDER 72

Seattle- UNDER 85

St. Louis- UNDER 77

Tampa Bay- OVER 72

Texas- OVER 75

Toronto- OVER 84

Washington- UNDER 71.5

Rolen's the only injury I'm really disappointed in. Stairs is a secondary concern, you need him when the injury bug really kicks in because right now you've got a pretty set line up. Even with Rolen out, Scutaro will be just fine on the hot corner. Sucks to lose Janssen as another competing arm in the bullpen, but we've got all sorts of alternative starters to turn to for that. Hopefully we get Rolen back soon, because I still can't get over how much that was a highway robbery in our favour.

Rolen's the only injury I'm really disappointed in. Stairs is a secondary concern, you need him when the injury bug really kicks in because right now you've got a pretty set line up. Even with Rolen out, Scutaro will be just fine on the hot corner. Sucks to lose Janssen as another competing arm in the bullpen, but we've got all sorts of alternative starters to turn to for that. Hopefully we get Rolen back soon, because I still can't get over how much that was a highway robbery in our favour.

I see the Rolen/Glaus trade being pretty equal. We lose some firepower but gain a lot of defence.

Do you think Dustin McGowan can Toronto's 2nd or 3rd starter? He has looked fantastic for awhile now.

Better offensive numbers, better defensive numbers, more experience, more years left on the contract, no steroid come-down... all Glaus has is a slight edge in power. Everything else is a win for us.

As for McGowan, I think he's definitely the third starter going into the season with an eye towards number two should Burnett contract his usual injury troubles. He's got a spectacular arm and people have compared his fitness level to Halladay's. If the shock of shocks happens and Burnett should manage to stay healthy, you're looking at one of the best 1-2-3 combinations in baseball (and depending on how Marcum holds up in '08, one hell of a #4 as well).

Here's my fantasy team in a league I'm in...

C. Victor Martinez

1B. Nick Swisher

2B. Orlando Hudson

3B. Akinori Iwamura

SS. Hanley Ramirez

2B/SS. Edgar Renteria

1B/3B. Casey Kotchman

OF. Grady Sizemore

OF. Torii Hunter

OF. Chris Young

OF. Milton Bradley

OF. Austin Kearns

UTIL. Travis Hafner

BENCH. Cameron Maybin

BENCH. Scott Rolen

BENCH. Evan Longoria

P. Fausto Carmona

P. Fransisco Rodriguez

P. Dontrelle Willis

P. John Lackey

P. Rafael Betancourt

P. Joba Chamberlain

P. Ted Lilly

P. Rafael Perez

P. Shaun Marcum

DL. Andy Pettitte

AJ Burnett looked good. He has looked that way for stretches over the last two seasons, so it isn't much to get excited over. A healthy Burnett for a full season would be a huge help to this team and any sort of playoff hopes.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I said it elsewhere (:shifty:) and I'll say it here - our starting lineup was good enough to make the playoffs last year. Our problem was that we had no depth, and even if we had only half the injury problems we did in 2007, we'd have been exposed. We made a few depth signings over the offseason, although nowhere near as many as I'd have liked - but if a few things go our way, we could seriously be challenging for the playoffs this year.

You think that's bad? I'm working as an usher at the Jays game and in my three breaks so far the Jays have scored a combined 9 runs. Every time I go on break they bring the bats out. If they'd just let me sit in the break room for three hours I'm sure they'd be 81-0 at home this year. :shifty:

You think that's bad? I'm working as an usher at the Jays game and in my three breaks so far the Jays have scored a combined 9 runs. Every time I go on break they bring the bats out. If they'd just let me sit in the break room for three hours I'm sure they'd be 81-0 at home this year. :shifty:

Something to bring up with your boss.