Formula One 2008

Katsuya

Okay, so the season officially got under way today with Aussie GP Qualifying...and my God does it already look awesome. BMW have literally come out of nowhere with a ridiculously strong car that didn't exist two weeks ago, and Kubica was sure for pole had it not have been for his little error. Ferrari have gone from looking unstoppable to the weaker of the three top teams overnight, the Toyota is awesome, and Alonso didn't even make Q3.

I missed this so very, very much.

HOW THEY LINE UP TOMMOROW:

1 - Lewis Hamilton (Mclaren) / 2 - Robert Kubica (BMW)

3 - Heikki Kovaleinen (Mclaren) / 4 - Felipe Massa (Ferrari)

5 - Nick Heidfeld (BMW) / 6 - Jarno Trulli (Toyota)

7 - Nico Rosberg (Williams) / 8 - David Coulthard (Red Bull)

9 - Sebastien Vettel (Toro Rosso) / 10 - Rubens Barichello (Honda)

11 - Fernando Alonso (Renault) / 12 - Jenson Button (Honda)

13 - Kazuki Nakajima (Williams) / 14 - Mark Webber (Red Bull)

15 - Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) / 16 - Giancarlo Fisichella (Force India)

17 - Sebastien Bourdais (Toro Rosso) / 18 - Adrian Sutil (Force India)

19 - Timo Glock (Toyota, 5 Place Penalty X2) / 20 - Takuma Sato (Super Aguri)

21 - Nelson Piquet Jr. (Renault) / 22 - Anthony Davidson (Super Aguri)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something you didn't mention-Renault had an appalling session.

Sadly I think Hamilton might win this, but I'd much prefer to see Kubica fly past him from the green light and take the win. I think Raikkonen will get a point or two as well, if his car works.

The new regulations mean this season is shaping up to be very competitive and a lot less of a formal procession. The loss of traction control means its more on driver skills than it has been for some time and that's a very good thing.

Something you didn't mention-Renault had an appalling session.

Sadly I think Hamilton might win this, but I'd much prefer to see Kubica fly past him from the green light and take the win. I think Raikkonen will get a point or two as well, if his car works.

The new regulations mean this season is shaping up to be very competitive and a lot less of a formal procession. The loss of traction control means its more on driver skills than it has been for some time and that's a very good thing.

Aren't you the one who doesn't like England winning at football too?

Ridiculously awesome race, really, even if most of the action didn't involve the front two/three (I actually was like "whuh? Why are they showing Hamilton now?" when he crossed the line to win, such little was he shown). Ferrari may have engine problems as shown by Kimi and Bourdais both going out of the race (albeit they still both got points because of Rubens being DQ'd), and both Massa and Kimi had awful races. Kovaleinen was probably the unluckiest guy out there though, with Glock's safety car royally screwing him and the weird error that let Alonso back past him. Six finishers (bar Rubens) is always fun, too.

But I have to say, the moment of the race for me came at the end when Rosberg and Hamilton were literally jumping for joy together. It's nice to see that kind of camaraderie in F1 again, especially after all the problems last year.

HOW THEY FINISHED:

1 - Lewis Hamilton (McLaren)

2 - Nick Heidfeld (BMW)

3 - Nico Rosberg (Williams)

4 - Fernando Alonso (Renault)

5 - Heikki Kovalainen (McLaren)

6 - Kazuki Nakajima (Williams)

7/DNF - Sebastien Bourdais (Toro Rosso) - Engine

8/DNF - Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) - Engine

DNF - Robert Kubica (BMW) - Accident w/ Nakajima

DNF - Timo Glock (Toyota) - Driver Error

DNF - Takuma Sato (Super Aguri) - Transmission

DNF - Nelson Piquet Jr. (Clutch) - Clutch

DNF - Felipe Massa (Ferrari) - Damage from Accident w/ Coulthard

DNF - David Coulthard (Red Bull) - Accident w/ Massa

DNF - Jarno Trulli (Toyota) - Electrics + Battery Leak

DNF - Adrian Sutil (Force India) - Hydraulics

DNF - Mark Webber (Red Bull) - Accident w/ Davidson + Button

DNF - Jenson Button (Honda) - Accident w/ Vettel + Webber

DNF - Anthony Davidson (Super Aguri) - Accident w/ Webber + Fisichella

DNF - Sebastien Vettel (Toro Rosso) - Accident w/ Jenson Button

DNF - Giancarlo Fisichella (Force India) - Accident w/ Davidson

DSQ - Rubens Barrichello (Honda) - Exited Pit-Stop on Red Light

Man, I missed the entire off-season. I'm usually pretty good at keeping up to date with F1 :( Kovalainen drives for McClaren now? Awesome! McClaren ftw. Also, seeing Nick Heidfeld finishing second in a BMW with Nico Rosberg behind him is just weird. Regardless of how many finished.

I'm disappointed at all Ferrari's problems because I'll be routing for Raikkonen again this year. There's still something about Hamilton that rubs me the wrong way, though he gets major points for the hilarious exchange with Kovaleinen earlier, where Kovaleinen was like "I don't like hip hop" and Hamilton was like "of course you don't - you're Finnish!"

Hopefully Alonso can do well this year and put all of last year's bickering behind him, he's a tosser but he's a good driver as well and if he finishes in one of the top positions with Renault, I'll be impressed.

They cut out DC threatening to "kick the shit out the bastard (Massa)" on the ITV replay. For shame.

...but it was Coulthard's fault! Massa had the inside lane fair and square.

I hope Hamilton takes the title this year. I don't think there's anything wrong with the guy, its ITV's fault for over-exposing him by making Steve Ryder and Mark Blundell the Hamilton cheerleader squad.

They cut out DC threatening to "kick the shit out the bastard (Massa)" on the ITV replay. For shame.

...but it was Coulthard's fault! Massa had the inside lane fair and square.

I hope Hamilton takes the title this year. I don't think there's anything wrong with the guy, its ITV's fault for over-exposing him by making Steve Ryder and Mark Blundell the Hamilton cheerleader squad.

BIH Adverts

The BBC has secured the television rights to show Formula One in the UK from the 2009 season.

The five-year deal for an undisclosed fee marks F1's return to BBC screens 12 years after it switched to ITV

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7306123.stm

12 years, wow. I didn't realise it'd been that long.

McLaren duo Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen have been penalised five grid places for impeding rivals during qualifying at the Malaysian Grand Prix.

The pair had been on the second row but Hamilton will now start in ninth, one place behind his Finnish team-mate.

After qualifying they were summoned by the stewards to answer complaints they held others up in the last session.

Full Story Here

I know it's been said loads already, but this season is going to fantastic. I'm really excited for a competitive season.

Massa / Raikkonen

Trulli / Kubica

Heidfeld / Webber

Alonso / Kovaleinen

Hamilton / Glock

Button / Coulthard

Piquet Jr. / Barrichello

Vettel / Rosberg

Fisichella / Nakajima

Bourdais / Sato

Sutil / Davidson

AKA, Ferrari are going to own the race. Boo.

Massa / Raikkonen

Trulli / Kubica

Heidfeld / Webber

Alonso / Kovaleinen

Hamilton / Glock

Button / Coulthard

Piquet Jr. / Barrichello

Vettel / Rosberg

Fisichella / Nakajima

Bourdais / Sato

Sutil / Davidson

AKA, Ferrari are going to own the race. Boo.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Keeps everything nice and open championship wise. :)

I'm tempted to get up early tomorrow to catch this. Loving Trulli and Kubica on the second row, and I quite like Heidefeld and Webber too.

The Alonso-Kovalainen-Hamilton battle should be good too.