Remake It Better

Benji

I just read the synopsis for Be Kind, Rewind on Wiki (paying for seeing a Jack Black film is not on my list of priorities) and it made me think, with the amount of sequels and remakes out there last year, how many of the remakes were actually GOOD?

Personally I loved the King Kong remake, I thought it was wonderful if only for bringing with more modern technology. But aside from that my mind seems to be a blank, I can't think of any more, but I'm sure there are some >_<

This probably won't be a popular choice, but... Dawn Of The Dead. Loved the remake, didn't quite care for the original. I know most people like it better the other way around, but I honest-to-goodness love the remake. As for the original... I dunno, when I watched, I was bored as hell :/

I don't mind films from the 30's/40's/50's being modernised (King Kong, The Fly, Ocean's Eleven & Scarface to an extent) as Benji mentioned. But remaking cult classics is what annoys me the most and the next few years aren't looking too good in that department with remakes of The Warriors, Friday The 13th, Escape From New York, The Birds and The Thing in production.

EDIT: The above poster reminded me, I liked Dawn Of The Dead. That's about the only thing that springs to mind.

Edited by BC

On the whole, not a fan of remakes. I don't mind the idea as long as they're done well, and generally, they're not. But the idea of remaking The Breakfast Club disgusts and appalls me, and they're setting it at Chicago's O'Hare airport with a bunch of 20+ year olds. No detention? WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT? Where's Bender going to try and escape to? Who's gonna be the principal type character if they're all free to do whatever (they're supposedly just bumped from a flight?

http://joblo.com/bkfast-club-remake

Of course, I'm assuming this is legit and The Hollywood Reporter is a respectable source of film-related journalism?

On the whole, not a fan of remakes. I don't mind the idea as long as they're done well, and generally, they're not. But the idea of remaking The Breakfast Club disgusts and appalls me, and they're setting it at Chicago's O'Hare airport with a bunch of 20+ year olds. No detention? WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT? Where's Bender going to try and escape to? Who's gonna be the principal type character if they're all free to do whatever (they're supposedly just bumped from a flight?

http://joblo.com/bkfast-club-remake

Of course, I'm assuming this is legit and The Hollywood Reporter is a respectable source of film-related journalism?

I think I'm going to cry, why remake perfection unless you're going to make Allison remain as the filthy sexy rock chick instead of turning her into a priss?

It probably isn't going to be a direct remake. They're doing the same thing with The Warriors, they're changing the setting in that, too. Even though I'm a big fan of The Warriors I can see grounds for a remake, but I can't with The Breakfast Club. It simply doesn't need a remake at all.

I wonder if this remake is the one Emilio Estavez mentioned? Three years ago or so he said John Hughes was kicking around a "Breakfast Club 2" idea with a similar premise to the original film, but with role reversals. The film was apparently to be set during college and they all come back together for some sort of punishment - but Bender, for instance, would have changed and become the straight-laced one, etc.

The Breakfast Club should not be sequeled or remade in any way.

I thought the Dawn Of The Dead remake wasn't too bad in terms of remaking it as a mainstream film for modern audiences, but I enjoyed the original more. It just seemed to have more of a meaning and an extra edge to it.

Although there's a lot of remakes out there, I've not seen both versions of a lot of them. Although I thought the Hollywood version of The Ring was better than the Japanese original. Granted, there's a lot of shots in the movie that are exactly the same, but the makers understood what worked in the original and improved on what needed improving.

The Hollywood remake of Infernal Affairs annoyed me, as did the horrible rumour of Oldboy being remade.

Boo to you sir, the Departed was excellent.

Not as good as the original though. Andrew Lau was excellent and Tony Leung put in a phenominal performance.