Tyson/Holyfield III?

sahyder1

Tyson and Holyfield in talks over rematch

* Story Highlights

* Evander Holyfield says he has held talks over a rematch with Mike Tyson

* Tyson was disqualified for biting off a chunk of Holyfield's ear in 1997 bout

* Holyfiield had taken world heavyweight title from Tyson in 1996

LONDON, England -- Evander Holyfield has raised the prospect of a rematch of his infamous world heavyweight title fight with Mike Tyson despite both men being into their 40s.

Holyfield took Tyson's crown in an epic bout in 1996, but it was their second fight a year later that is remembered for all the wrong reasons with Tyson disqualified for biting a chunk out of his opponent's ear.

Holyfield, 45, has revealed he is considering an offer from 41-year-old Tyson's camp to meet in the ring for a third time. "There has been some talk between us," Holyfield told The Guardian newspaper on Thursday.

"Mike had Jeff Fenech, who's been training him, call me a few months ago. Jeff says Mike wants to fight me again - but he needs to know if I would agree to it.

"I said, 'It all depends on what they are going to give us - because I'm gonna catch a lot of flak if I say I'm fighting Mike Tyson again.

I've already said I don't want to fight Mike no more'. "Jeff says, 'What if Mike gets in proper shape?' I told him that's OK but I can't be part of it if Mike's going to pull out.

Jeff said, 'The main thing Mike wants to know is if you would be willing to fight him again?' I said, 'Yeah, if the price is right, I probably would'."

Both fighters have made largely unsuccessful attempts at comebacks in recent years with Holyfield continuing his pursuit of an unlikely fifth title against the advice of boxing experts.

He is believed to have held on to a large portion of his career earnings, but, by contrast, Tyson has suffered well-publicized financial problems.

Sounds like a freak show. This would be awfully detrimental to both their legacies. I think Tyson is past even being past it <_<. Especially on the evidence of his last two outings as a profesional. I heard rumours of this awhile back hopefully it won't ever happen, but if it does there'll be plenty people watching it without a doubt and for all the wrong reasons.

Holyfield has nothing left to prove, and all Tyson has proven since his prison stint is that he was freakin' overrated afterward. Unless Tyson bites Holyfield's ear again and this time Holyfield responds by throwing a punch that actually shatters Tyson's jaw in 3 or more places, no good can come of this.

Mike Tyson is a legend of boxing, but because of his personal demons he ruined what could have been a legacy greater then any other boxer before. Tyson has legitimate talent and if he had been managed better we wouldn't be calling him a freakshow now.

Mike Tyson is a legend of boxing, but because of his personal demons he ruined what could have been a legacy greater then any other boxer before. Tyson has legitimate talent and if he had been managed better we wouldn't be calling him a freakshow now.

say what you want but if you don't think he is one of the best fighters ever then its not for the right reasons. And judging by your comments, thats the case. After he got out of prison, yes his career went down hill. I still think the best ever is Ali, but I would love to have seen them both in there primes. No one better then those two in their primes.

Tyson and Holyfield in talks over rematch

* Story Highlights

* Evander Holyfield says he has held talks over a rematch with Mike Tyson

* Tyson was disqualified for biting off a chunk of Holyfield's ear in 1997 bout

* Holyfiield had taken world heavyweight title from Tyson in 1996

LONDON, England -- Evander Holyfield has raised the prospect of a rematch of his infamous world heavyweight title fight with Mike Tyson despite both men being into their 40s.

Holyfield took Tyson's crown in an epic bout in 1996, but it was their second fight a year later that is remembered for all the wrong reasons with Tyson disqualified for biting a chunk out of his opponent's ear.

Holyfield, 45, has revealed he is considering an offer from 41-year-old Tyson's camp to meet in the ring for a third time. "There has been some talk between us," Holyfield told The Guardian newspaper on Thursday.

"Mike had Jeff Fenech, who's been training him, call me a few months ago. Jeff says Mike wants to fight me again - but he needs to know if I would agree to it.

"I said, 'It all depends on what they are going to give us - because I'm gonna catch a lot of flak if I say I'm fighting Mike Tyson again.

I've already said I don't want to fight Mike no more'. "Jeff says, 'What if Mike gets in proper shape?' I told him that's OK but I can't be part of it if Mike's going to pull out.

Jeff said, 'The main thing Mike wants to know is if you would be willing to fight him again?' I said, 'Yeah, if the price is right, I probably would'."

Both fighters have made largely unsuccessful attempts at comebacks in recent years with Holyfield continuing his pursuit of an unlikely fifth title against the advice of boxing experts.

He is believed to have held on to a large portion of his career earnings, but, by contrast, Tyson has suffered well-publicized financial problems.

Link

Wow. I don't know if I have any other word to describe this. This will be a train wreck. It really is a shame what happened to Tyson....the man could've been an all time great. Killed the sport too as Boxing hasn't been relevant since and with the rise of MMA never will.

say what you want but if you don't think he is one of the best fighters ever then its not for the right reasons. And judging by your comments, thats the case. After he got out of prison, yes his career went down hill. I still think the best ever is Ali, but I would love to have seen them both in there primes. No one better then those two in their primes.

I remember that bite so vividly, I'd actually started taking a little bit of boxing training that year after seeing Rocky for the first time, we were on holiday and that happened, my mum stopped me going at all, despite my dads insistence it was fine. In other words, fuck Mike Tyson :shifty:

Tyson's not even one of the best heavyweights ever. He never beat anyone of note, lost his aura to Buster F'n Douglas and the rest of his career is a black eye on the sport. When you factor in all the greats in the other divisions Tyson likely isn't even one of the top 100 fighters of all time.