• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Motion Picture of the Year

Winner: No Country for Old Men (2007) - Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Scott Rudin

Best Achievement in Directing

Winner: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen for No Country for Old Men (2007)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Winner: Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood (2007)

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Winner: Juno (2007) - Diablo Cody

Best Documentary, Features

Winner: Taxi to the Dark Side (2007) - Alex Gibney, Eva Orner

Best Documentary, Short Subjects

Winner: Freeheld (2007) - Cynthia Wade, Vanessa Roth

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score

Winner: Atonement (2007) - Dario Marianelli

Best Achievement in Cinematography

Winner: There Will Be Blood (2007) - Robert Elswit

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song

Winner: Once (2006) - Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová(“Falling Slowly” )

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Winner: Fälscher, Die (2007)(Austria)

Edited by Snow White and the 7Ups

Boring ass Oscars. Jon Stewart can't host the Oscars since his entire style of humor is incompatible with the rather straightforward humor that the Oscars are known for. His sarcasm just doesn't work when he's supposed to be positive.

All in all though, there were few surprises (sans Tilda Swinton winning for Michael Clayton) tonight. My friend was surprised to hear Daniel Day-Lewis accept his award. I think it was at that point where he realized Day-Lewis is the best actor alive. "That's how he normally talks?!"

Edited by damshow

Good job I didn't bet on 'There Will Be Blood' to win the Best Film, as I was debating.

Though equally as gutted that I didn't follow the Post's prediction to back Cotillard.

To bring it back to something more film related, I would love to see La Vie En Rose.

What was Blanchett nominated for? If it was "I'm Not There", then it's a travesty for her to have not won for that, it's one of the most convincing performances I've ever seen.

Guest RingoHatesBenji

She was nominated for it in Supporting Actress, though I'm Not There was kinda crap, and her performance just seemed like a bad mimicry to me, but in the Best Actress she was nominated for Elizabeth, which was pure shit, and I'm glad she lost there too.

Jon Stewart is not funny. He's not funny on the Daily Show and he's not funny here. The only thing that got a laugh out of me during the whole thing was when Once won for best song and the guy accepted and Stewart said "That guy is so arrogant" afterwards.

Beyond that, token show for a year where most nominees for best picture were outstanding. Except Atonement.

Edited by RingoHatesBenji

Jon Stewart not funny? :huh:

I have to admit that was my first reaction as well, but the more I thought about it the more I began to agree. Stewart's funny in certain capacity, but I think a lot of the best humour on The Daily Show is the segments done by correspondents. He's definitely a capable host and an intelligent guy, but when it comes to the 'newspieces' at the top of the show, they're usually not.. er, that amusing. Everything else is usually fine on the show.

Edited by Master of the Intercloud

Jon Stewart not funny? :huh:

I have to admit that was my first reaction as well, but the more I thought about it the more I began to agree. Stewart's funny in certain capacity, but I think a lot of the best humour on The Daily Show is the segments done by correspondents. He's definitely a capable host and an intelligent guy, but when it comes to the 'newspieces' at the top of the show, they're usually not.. er, that amusing. Everything else is usually fine on the show.

Stewart's like Lewis Black in that you can't just sit down and expect to laugh. You have to think with the comedian and sometime be informed about a lot of what they're discussing beforehand. It's why they're so popular on college campuses.

I was extremely surprised that Stewart was even asked to come back! Seriosuly he had done so bad the last time around, it wasn't funny... He just came off as insulting. That and why wasn't Ellen Degeneres hosting again? She was great as host last year and kept me laughing all night long! ELLEN DEGENERES FOR NEXT YEAR!

Now Marion Cottillard shocked the hell out of me! I haven't seen any of these movies but I was sure that Ellen Page had it! Tilda Swinton winning Best Supporting was surprising aswell as I had really thought Blanchette would have gotten that one.

Daniel Day Lewis and Javier Bardem was to be expected and not a surprise at all (though after the actresses were announced I had hope that Depp would take it!).

Aside from that most of it was predictable and that best song truely was the best song of the bunch.

Jon Stewart I think is funny, but not the type of funny that works on the Oscars. And he was funnier the first time when he was mocking the audience and they weren't in on the joke, this year the only bits of his I found all that funny were his mocking of Norbit getting a nomination, "That guy is SO ARROGANT," the mocking of the montages, and playing Wii Sports with the girl from the August Rush song (which I felt really should have won, since the Enchanted songs didn't work, possibly due to being out of context (especially poor Amy Adams, who had to play "Happy Working Song" straight and on her own) and the song from Once was Generic Oscar Fare).

It was a forgettable, mediocre Oscar ceremony. Good for No Country For Old Men, good for all of the winners of the acting awards, but there were probably better ways to spend three and a half hours last night.

EDIT: And as for Juno? Good for Diablo Cody, I guess, but it was the acting that made the movie work, not the bloody script.

Edited by Captain Yesterday

No kidding. Juno was great in spite of the script, not because of it.
Edited by Laice07