NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Plus, even if Forte does well, the big thing in the NFL nowadays is the two-back system and Forte and Jones would be a nice one-two punch with Peterson splitting time with both of them or something along those lines.

I can't imagine why the Steelers would need to sign him though, don't they have enough backs already? Not to mention they all seem to be speed backs anyways.

You've never seen Rashard Mendenhall, have you? He's fast, yeah, but he's more Jerome Bettis style than Willie Parker style. Either way, yeah, the Steelers really couldn't have been all that serious about a gimpy Kevin Jones.

The Steelers wanted to sign Jones for one-year at the veteran minimum to push 1st year RB Gary Russell.

EDIT: Russell isn't a speed back. Nor is Mewelde Moore. They really have one "speed back" and that's Parker, but he can run with power too. Mendenhall and Parker and downhill run-you-over power runners and Moore is scat back.

Edited by Evil Chase K

So the Redskins pulled off what looks like a pretty good trade to me, sending a 2nd round draft pick in 2009 and a 6th round pick in 2010 to the Dolphins for Jason Taylor. I think the NFC East's going to be even closer this year. Maybe even both wildcards coming from our division again.

Edited by AD

And now apparently the Giants have agreed to trade Jeremy Shockey to the Saints for a 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick.

To be honest, I don't quite know why the Giants didn't pull this trigger sooner as it's the same deal that was proposed to them prior to the draft.

I dunno, good pick up for the Saints if he keeps healthy and with him moving to a place with significantly less media coverage, I'd imagine he'll also be quite a bit...happier, so to speak.

As a Giants fan who also liked Shockey a lot as a player, I'm glad to see him go. Even though Boss isn't on the same level as Shockey was, he's not a team cancer and with Tiki, Strahan and now Shockey gone this is Eli's team. The two draft picks will come in handy and Shockey will flourish in Nawlins with Colston and Brees. It's a win/win.

I think the trade benefits the Dolphins way more than it does the Redskins. Parcells knows what he's doing and basically got a 2nd and a 6th for a guy who may retire at the end of the season.

I was listening to Jim Rome on the way home from class today and he had former Raiders GM Mike Lombardi on and Lombardi made the point that the trade only really benefits Washington if their offense can score points and allow Jason Taylor to play his style of football. I completely agree. If the Redskins' offense fails to score points, Jason Taylor won't be nearly as effective as he would be if their offense can get a lead for them.

I heard that Taylor's told the Washington GM that he plans on playing out at least through the end of his contract, which ends after next season and the only reason why he was saying he was going to retire after this year would be if he was forced to continue playing for the Dolphins. I heard that on All Night on ESPN Radio last night.

Well he said yesterday that he's going to play out the full two years. I'd imagine he's a bit higher class than lying to all of management and the general public about his intentions.

He could change his mind, yes, but I'd imagine lying and screwing around with a guy like Snyder won't necessarily help his off-field endeavors.

Guest Offbeat Bareass

I was happy to see a good player get traded out of the Patriots' division and to my favorite NFC team, the Redskins. The Dolphins will continue to be irrelevant for a few years now and give the Pats two easy spots on the schedule barring an upset.

Report: Favre called Minnesota coaches

9 hours, 59 minutes ago

MILWAUKEE (Ticker) - Brett Favre knows how to call an audible. A phone call could be another matter.

Favre made “repeated” calls to a pair of Minnesota Vikings coaches using a cell phone issued by the Green Bay Packers, according to a story in Tuesday’s Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Citing sources, the newspaper reported that the nine-time Pro Bowl quarterback made numerous calls to both Vikings coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

Green Bay officials learned of the phone calls by checking the phone records, according to the Journal Sentinel.

The revelation comes a week after the Packers filed tampering charges against the Vikings for inappropriate dialogue with Favre, who announced his retirement in March but asked Green Bay to reinstate him earlier this month.

Minnesota officials declined to comment on the tampering charges last week, releasing a brief statement that such matters are handled by the league.

Bevell, who served as the quarterbacks coach for the Packers from 2003-05, remains close with Favre so the thinking goes that even a heavy volume of phone calls between the two might not constitute tampering.

However, if the three-time Most Valuable Player was making calls to Childress, particularly before Favre asked the Packers to release him so he could play for another team, Green Bay’s case would be considerably strengthened.

The Journal Sentinel also reported that the Baltimore Ravens turned down a trade proposal for Favre, who was told by the Packers he could return in a backup role.

Meanwhile, the NFL Network reported that Green Bay is sending out feelers to assess Favre’s value on the trade market.

The Packers have spoken to teams in both conferences about a potential deal, according to the report.

Yeah, either Brett's mind has gone to mush after too many sacks, or he's playing the Packers like a violin. Let's hope he's a little more discreet if he ever cheats on his wife. :shifty: Using your company cell to talk to other companies looking for a new job is usually frowned on. If I was with the Vikes, though, and Favre's dumb ass just cost us some draft picks from a tampering charge, I'd be a little less hot to sign the guy, considering it may just be a one-or-two-year rental.

That said, with Favre, Minnesota wins that shitty division by three games and has an outside shot at the Super Bowl.

I think the Vikings will win that division regardless. I'm not sold on Rodgers as a starting QB in the NFL and I don't think the Packers will be nearly as good as last year because I'm also not sold on Ryan Grant. He showed that he had the ability last year but given that he's yet to report to any of the camps because contract talks, I don't know how effective he'll be.

Plus with who the Vikings added in the offseason, they seemed to shore up some of the needs (QB still could be a need; it depends on how well Jackson plays this year) and just seem like a generally stronger team.

The fuck are the Saints doing? Have they seen that Jeremy Shockey is not that good, but is the only tight end that acts as if he's amazing in football? A second and a fifth is far too much. I don't want that asshole representing my team. Perhaps Livid's point about him being "happier" in New Orleans will come to pass and we'll see some decent production, but the guy was never that great in New York, I don't see it getting much better in New Orleans where he's gonna have to be the #2 or #3 weapon.

As for Favre, it's definitely playing the Packers like a violin. Favre's not dumb and certainly using the company cell phone is to further cement that he doesn't want to be there or that he'll hold the Pack hostage until he "gets what he wants". The asshole.

Edited by ROC