NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

So after seeing that Long signed, went to ESPN to read up on the story, and saw that Alexander has been released. Can't say I'm surprised, but I'm disappointed, mainly because he's such an awesome person. Just being a good person though isn't good enough to be a pro-football player, and it's definitely for the best. Still, kinda feel a tiny ounce of sadness to see him go out the way he did.

Chad Johnson's not going anywhere. Apparently the Bengals have turned down an offer from the Redskins of their first round pick this year and a third rounder next year which could turn into a first if Johnson were to play to a certain level. I doubt they'll get a better offer than that.

That is why they are the Bungles. CJ is a cancer. I still don't think they'll ever win anything with Carson Palmer, but getting rid of Chad would be a huge step in the right direction.

Washington's first rounder this year could possibly be on a WR and then the first or third next year could easily be put to good use on the defensive side of the ball.

Unreal, absolutely unreal.

But they're makin' a stand man! Makin' a stand! Showin' that boy who is boss!

If anybody offered me a first-rounder for a WR who is a cancer and is aging quickly, I would JUMP at the offer. Then I can get a similar player, years younger, and it's like we didn't miss a step.

Baltimore will not trade up. If Ryan drops to us, he drops to us. If not we take someone else and wait for Flacco in Round 2.

Why would Baltimore trade up?

If St. Louis trades with anyone it's gonna be New Orleans.

So they can move up to #2 to get Matt Ryan so Atlanta can't pick them up.

Please. We need a quarterback, we are not retarded - if Atlanta picks Ryan, Henne, Flacco and Brohm are all still on the board.

Why would Baltimore trade up?

If St. Louis trades with anyone it's gonna be New Orleans.

So they can move up to #2 to get Matt Ryan so Atlanta can't pick them up.

Please. We need a quarterback, we are not retarded - if Atlanta picks Ryan, Henne, Flacco and Brohm are all still on the board.

And the supposed huge gap between Ryan and the other QBs in the draft is a reason why trading up is a possibility for the Ravens. Depends on how much they like Troy Smith I guess.

What supposed huge gap? Where Ryan is thought of as the best QB in the draft, it's not by a lot, and where he isn't, there's obviously no problem to answer. Trading up to the second pick, given the amount they'd probably have to give up, would be ludicrous and just setting us up to be screwed if Ryan busts.

The supposed huge gap the 'experts' have been talking about that will mean Matt Ryan's likely the only quarterback selected in the first round. You really think the Ravens will select Henne, Flacco or Brohm with their first round pick? No because it's not good value taking them there. Ryan's most likely a top 10 pick, the other QBs are second rounders. Then again the Ravens could also trade up if they don't think any of the other 'big name' QBs will be available come their second round pick. The idea of trading up is certainly not 'ludicrous'.

A few thoughts on the CJ situation:

*The Bengals are better with CJ than without.

*If you trade him because he's unhappy, you won't be getting fair value. Obviously different leagues, but the Lakers would have gotten 65 cents on the dollar for Kobe.

*You end up rewarding poor behavior. Everybody wins, but they really don't.

That said, Chad just needs to come out and blast the Cincy fans...that would get him traded quickly.

Matt Ryan is by no means far and away the best QB in this draft. A bunch of scouts actually prefer Henne, and a couple of them like Flacco are creeping into the lower end of the first round in some projections. Even so, I don't think there's enough of an improvement over Troy Smith to warrant the Ravens trading up to get a QB, and I wouldn't waste a first round pick on any of this year's class anyway.

I like the idea of Chicago taking a tackle in the first round and hoping Joe Flacco sticks around for the Bears to pick him at 11 or 14 whatever they have in the second round. I also like the idea of taking home-state Mendenhall with the first pick, in which case the offensive line would have to be addressed with via trading up to get a second first round pick, or hoping someone slides into the second and leaving it till later rounds to pick up a QB.

Edited by Dragsy

The supposed huge gap the 'experts' have been talking about that will mean Matt Ryan's likely the only quarterback selected in the first round. You really think the Ravens will select Henne, Flacco or Brohm with their first round pick? No because it's not good value taking them there. Ryan's most likely a top 10 pick, the other QBs are second rounders. Then again the Ravens could also trade up if they don't think any of the other 'big name' QBs will be available come their second round pick. The idea of trading up is certainly not 'ludicrous'.

Exactly. That's why trading up to get Ryan is indeed ludicrous when we've got a great chance of landing Henne, Flacco or Brohm with the second-rounder and have the option of using that to trade back into the first. They won't trade up to second for Matt Ryan when they could trade to twenty (to pick a number out of the air) and get any of the previous three.

Be's right, there's no way that the Ravens are trading up to get Ryan as they have already said that they're either going to wait for him to drop to them at 8 and if he doesn't, then they'll either A. trade down to get more picks or B. take somebody at a different need (CB most likely unless they're able to get Sheppard from Philly).

Oh and no, people don't prefer Henne to Ryan, it's Brohm that's the second guy. Henne quickly popped up there to give Flacco a run for his money at 3, but Brohm still has a chance at being drafted in the first round, it just depends on how things end up falling when teams later in the round start drafting. For instance, I could easily see the Packers drafting him as an insurance policy in case Rodgers doesn't cut it but that will only happen if the DB's they're high on are gone by the time they pick.

Or Tampa Bay may even look at taking him if they're not happy with what's left of the WR's or if they're confident enough that they can land one of the guys they want later.

Edited by Autopilot

Now that the Chiefs have dealt Jared Allen to Minnesota, the rest of the NFC North is going to have some headaches this year. Him and the two Williamses make for one hell of a front, no matter who they get lined up on the other end.

And now, the Chiefs get an extra first to maybe snag someone like Brohm if Ryan's gone at 5. Doesn't seem real likely, though, now that the odds are improved that Dorsey's still around at 3 for Atlanta.

Never know, they might use the pick to draft Allen's replacement - something like 80% of all the mock drafts I saw had Minny taking Phillip Merling at #17, and I thought he'd be a good fit with the Vikings. The Chiefs have other holes, but without Allen or another pass rusher, they might as well wave the white flag.

I would say that they go after Gholston if he's still available at 5 and then address their O-line troubles with the Vikings pick, especially when there really isn't an offensive lineman worth taking at 5.

My first thought was that the Chiefs' GM, Carl Peterson, was tipping his hand and letting everyone know that his head would explode if Gholston was gone at 5. Of course, I have a friend who's big into the Chiefs, and Carl Peterson's head exploding would totally make his millennium.

A few thoughts on the CJ situation:

*The Bengals are better with CJ than without.

*If you trade him because he's unhappy, you won't be getting fair value. Obviously different leagues, but the Lakers would have gotten 65 cents on the dollar for Kobe.

*You end up rewarding poor behavior. Everybody wins, but they really don't.

That said, Chad just needs to come out and blast the Cincy fans...that would get him traded quickly.

1.) If he causes distractions and things of that sort, no they are not.

2.) Fair value? They were offered essentially 2 1st round picks for the guy. If that's not fair value I don't know what is.

3.) This I have no fault with.

As far as blasting the fans, CJ's not stupid. That would be career suicide.