NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Cowboys cut ties with CB Jones after one season

Associated Press

IRVING, Texas -- Cornerback Adam Jones was released Wednesday by the Dallas Cowboys following a season in which he was suspended six games for an off-field incident.

The transaction will not become official until Feb. 9, the first day NFL teams can make waiver requests.

"He was surprised, and I think he was obviously somewhat hurt," said Worrick Robinson, Jones' agent. "At the same time, he understands the business behind what is happening here."

The Cowboys traded for Jones during the offseason, even though he had been suspended for the entire 2007 season because of a series of off-field incidents.

Jones missed six games this season for violating the league's player-conduct policy after an Oct. 7 scuffle with a team bodyguard at a Dallas hotel. He missed a seventh game because of an injury.

Jones averaged just 4.5 yards per punt return and had no interceptions.

Robinson said he didn't believe Jones' suspension was a factor in the Cowboys' decision to release the cornerback.

"We don't have any reason to believe at this point that that off-the-field incident had anything to do with the team's decision today," Robinson said. "I know there was certainly a lot of bad that came out of that situation, but there was some good that came out of that situation as well."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

The Cleveland Browns reached an agreement with Eric Mangini on Wednesday to become the next coach of the team.

Mangini, fired last week by the New York Jets, will be introduced at a Thursday news conference at the team's headquarters in Berea, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press. Mangini reached an agreement on a four-year deal with the club on Wednesday, the person said.

*singing* HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HAAAAALLLLLLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now they just need to get rid of T.O. and get Romo to quit choking after November.

The Cleveland Browns reached an agreement with Eric Mangini on Wednesday to become the next coach of the team.

Mangini, fired last week by the New York Jets, will be introduced at a Thursday news conference at the team's headquarters in Berea, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press. Mangini reached an agreement on a four-year deal with the club on Wednesday, the person said.

Bah. I was hoping he'd have a shot at getting on with a good team, considering it was mostly Bret Favre's fault Mangini got fired from the Jets.

Edited by GhostMachine

I'm not really sure what they see in Mangini. He really didn't do much that was noteworthy in New York besides his first year. I think they could have definitely found someone better. However, they definitely could have gone a worse direction, like bringing back Marty Schottenheimer or just paying ridiculous money to some guy nobody's ever heard of.

As for Pacman, not that big of a surprise. Probably wasn't even for his suspension - for the fact that even while he did play in games, he never put in some big punt returns or made a big play on defense besides that fumble recovery. As for them releasing T.O., its definitely a good decision not to do it. He may not have the best attitude (even though he is right about most things, like the fact he said the exact thing Romo said a few weeks ago but when T.O. says it he gets bashed to hell) but he sure can play and is a playmaker. Plus, if the offensive coordinator wants to refuse to run the ball with his huge RBS and pass the ball when its not needed, they'll definitely need T.O. But if the Cowboys expect success in 2009, they better get Tony Romo to stop choking in December.

Okay, now THIS rates an "lol, Pacman."

While we're at it, I guess this rates an "lol, Mangini," although his rep might get recovered somewhat quickly if Quinn comes back strong and Edwards takes off those cement gloves he was wearing all season. I still think that team could score some points, but Lord knows they'd have to, since the defense seems a bit undermanned.

Edited by Nashville Starr

A rather lulsworthy note from the SI article on Mangini:

Mangini began shagging balls with the Browns in 1994 under then-coach Bill Belichick, who liked the kid's work ethic and quickly promoted him to a public relations assistant before adding him to the scouting department.

I don't care that it's just an Americanism, it makes me laugh

Okay, now THIS rates an "lol, Pacman."

Thank God, because I really wanted to post that. LOL PACMAN !

So the obvious question is which "winner" is brought in next. We should start a pool on this.

Michael Vick or Plaxico Burress once the Giants cut him. Vick can run the Wildcat with Romo and Plax can be the receiver they thought Roy Williams was going to be when they mortgaged their future to get him.

Owens + Williams + Burress = win :shifty:

As for Pacman, not that big of a surprise. Probably wasn't even for his suspension - for the fact that even while he did play in games, he never put in some big punt returns or made a big play on defense besides that fumble recovery. As for them releasing T.O., its definitely a good decision not to do it. He may not have the best attitude (even though he is right about most things, like the fact he said the exact thing Romo said a few weeks ago but when T.O. says it he gets bashed to hell) but he sure can play and is a playmaker. Plus, if the offensive coordinator wants to refuse to run the ball with his huge RBS and pass the ball when its not needed, they'll definitely need T.O. But if the Cowboys expect success in 2009, they better get Tony Romo to stop choking in December.

He played pretty well defensively, nothing outstanding but he was solid. His poor play returning kicks was probably why he's been axed, we're not absolutely desperate at cornerback and it's proved we have a seemingly better kick returner in Felix Jones now anyway. Hopefully he stays healthy next season.