NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Of course I'm not being serious, I haven't seen much of Shockey and I'm only down by 1.75 points (Thanks to the 2.9 points he already has since I asked the question) in my EWB Fleaflicker league game.

More for small personal gain really.

Personally, I'm kicking myself for starting Pittsburgh (4pts) and Gates (9pts) over Tampa Bay (31pts) and Vinatieri (14pts)

It doesn't matter because of that latest pass to Shockey, I take the win, I can enjoy the rest of the game now.

Edited by Slog-A-Roonie

No it's not irrelevant but as I've said before (sorry, I was going on the assumption you actually read other people's posts properly) you can only beat the teams that your schedule pits you against which is fair enough. To me, all 7+ win teams at the moment are good because it puts them in the playoff hunt and you have to be a good team to make the playoffs.

As for the Titans' opposition argument, I argued their weak schedule as a point against them being the best in the league as so many people said they were. I never said they weren't a good team, I said I didn't think they were the best in the league because of their schedule. There's a difference.

You can be an ass all you want, and that's fine as it's your choice. Oddly enough, I wasn't intending any of it as an indirect jab at you. I actually only said for Be to go back in the thread to see that the opinion of "it doesn't matter who you beat" isn't shared by those in this thread. But I guess had you read my post properly you wouldn't have taken it as a jab at you. I apologize for the assumption that you actually read other people's posts properly.

I just find it funny that with you, what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander. Yes, there is a difference between saying that a teams isn't the best because of their schedule as opposed to saying they aren't good because of their schedule. The difference being that saying both things allows you to fit both arguments. Either it matters who they play or it doesn't, not both.

It doesn't matter really at this point though because the Giants are the best team in football at this point.

I also would argue that you DON'T have to be "good" to make the playoffs. I point to Denver this year for an example. They're going to be defacto division champions. They aren't good. I also point to Washington last year. A 9-7 playoff team doesn't exactly scream quality. They simply benefitted from the NFC not having hardly anything outside of the East. "Better than the rest" doesn't always inherently mean that you are indeed good, as the tip of a pile of shit is still shit.

This year the NFL as a whole is mediocre. Baltimore/Arizona/Indy have all looked just as shitty as they have good. In fact, Arizona has four of their seven wins from their division which boasts a three win and two - two win teams. Dallas can't figure it out to save their life, and Washington is 7-4 but has 201 pts scored and 199 pts allowed. None of that gives me the impression that they're all that "good" (although Indy appears to be in that realm as of late). Of course, I'm using good in a relative sense here. Sure, they look good because the league sucks as a whole this year, but when you're looking realistically at having three division winners being 9-7 the league sucks. As it stands I'd only call Pitt/Jets/Giants/TB/Carolina/Tenn as actually "good."

EDIT - yes I do realise what I said about 'Zona. It is merely to point to what AD was saying about opposition.

Edited by HailtotheKing

Baltimore-Washington has been moved to Sunday night in Week 14. If anyone would have told me the Ravens would be playing in a flex game this year, I'd have thought they were high. Turns out, the world is high. It's been an exciting season for me with my expectations being more than surpassed. The Ravens' end-of-season schedule (which looked terrifying) looks more and more like a stretch this team might actually make it through. Next week is Cincy, which for all intents and purposes, we have no excuses NOT to win. Then Washington and Pittsburgh (both in Baltimore), then on the road in Big D (a game I think will determine the fates of both the Ravens and Cowboys), and then home against Jacksonville. I think we can win 3 of those 5, and 10-6 might be just enough to let us squeak into the postseason. Still, 5 weeks are left. Anything can happen.

You can be an ass all you want, and that's fine as it's your choice. Oddly enough, I wasn't intending any of it as an indirect jab at you. I actually only said for Be to go back in the thread to see that the opinion of "it doesn't matter who you beat" isn't shared by those in this thread. But I guess had you read my post properly you wouldn't have taken it as a jab at you. I apologize for the assumption that you actually read other people's posts properly.

You weren't just telling Be to go back in the thread, you were talking about how it suddenly seemed that the 7+ win teams' schedules were irrelevant, which funnily enough was what I was talking about so yeah I saw it as a response to what I had previously posted.

The point was that there comes a time when strength of schedule has to be looked at. You have 7 wins at this stage, you're in the upper echelon of the league so you're in a decent position. I just don't like that the Titans were being hailed as the best team in the league and people were talking about another undefeated season when there's the Steelers and Giants doing, I think, a better job on a harder schedule and without some key players at times. So when it comes to separating the better teams in the league then strength of schedule is something that gives you a good indication of how good they really are.

Just stop it now, already jesus christ.

You both aren't going to agree so why run around in circles a million times?

And for the record, the Titans aren't and never were the best team in the league and that should be plain as day given how good the Giants are. The biggest thing against the Titans is their division that, in any other year, would be one of the best but unfortunately it looks like it's just them and the just now starting to get their footing, Colts. And while they're starting to play well that doesn't make up for the awful Jacksonville team and another team that was overhyped before the year started and ultimately wasn't ready for the spotlight in the Texans. On the other hand, whether you think they're "that good" or not, the Cowboys and Redskins are better than the Jaguars and Texans. The Colts being better than the Eagles is obvious but when the worst team in the division is the Eagles, who sit at 5-6 and coincidentally enough seem to be the exact opposite of the Colts at this point (in that the Colts are getting hot and the Eagles seem to be imploding). That is why the Giants were and still are the best team in the league.

Regardless of all of that though, the NFC South is easily the best division in football with not a team under .500 which just amazes me, really.

And for the record, the Titans aren't and never were the best team in the league and that should be plain as day given how good the Giants are. The biggest thing against the Titans is their division that, in any other year, would be one of the best but unfortunately it looks like it's just them and the just now starting to get their footing, Colts. And while they're starting to play well that doesn't make up for the awful Jacksonville team and another team that was overhyped before the year started and ultimately wasn't ready for the spotlight in the Texans. On the other hand, whether you think they're "that good" or not, the Cowboys and Redskins are better than the Jaguars and Texans. The Colts being better than the Eagles is obvious but when the worst team in the division is the Eagles, who sit at 5-6 and coincidentally enough seem to be the exact opposite of the Colts at this point (in that the Colts are getting hot and the Eagles seem to be imploding). That is why the Giants were and still are the best team in the league.

Regardless of all of that though, the NFC South is easily the best division in football with not a team under .500 which just amazes me, really.

Must not read alot of Hail's posts

So you tell me to stop and then you extend the discussion by talking about essentially the same thing I was? Riiiight.

Anyway, Brady Quinn is done for the season with a broken finger. Redskins cut Shaun Alexander and the Giants, Titans and Cardinals can all win their division if results go their way this weekend :(

Heard that news about Quinn this morning. I couldn't help but chuckle. I mean, how crappy must it be in Cleveland right now ? Brady finally gets in there to lead his team and BAM, done after two and a half weeks. Then you've got the whole LeBron to the Knicks IN 2010 ! saga going on. Couple that with CC bolting the Indians and ..... ugh, tis a dark dark time up there.

A note on Alexander - yesterday on the Jim Zorn show on ESPN980 Zorn said that he was released becaues the signed on another DT (who has played for them before) because they felt that was the bigger need at the moment. Zorn also said he wasn't completely sure of both Portis and Betts' health from here on out and would grab Alexander right back up if needed. It wasn't that they didn't like his performance or conditioning level or anything.

Do the 76 Bucs pop the corks when they're no longer the worst team in history?

My question is: did the '72 Dolphins stop getting together when the Pats went 16-0, or do you suppose they were still celebrating when the Jets won last week?