NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

I said Number Three to a friend a few days ago, basically word for word. The Cowboys have not impressed me all year and can't beat real teams, and because of that Wade Phillips will be unemployed in a few months.

No, Wade Phillips will be unemployed because Jerry Jones has had Jason Garrett down as the next head coach since he signed him. And I like how everyone's like 'lol, Dallas suck' even though we beat the Eagles and the Packers when they were both playing well and undefeated. Oh, and we destroyed the Browns who just happened to beat the crap out of the Giants on Monday. These of course don't count for anything though, because everyone just wants to see the overrated Cowboys implode.

The whole A beat B, and B beat C never really applies though. The Jets beat the Dolphins, and the Dolphins beat the Patriots. But the Patriots beat the Jets. So just because the Browns beat the Giants, that doesn't automatically mean that Dallas will beat them too (since they beat Cleveland earlier already).

I said Number Three to a friend a few days ago, basically word for word. The Cowboys have not impressed me all year and can't beat real teams, and because of that Wade Phillips will be unemployed in a few months.

No, Wade Phillips will be unemployed because Jerry Jones has had Jason Garrett down as the next head coach since he signed him. And I like how everyone's like 'lol, Dallas suck' even though we beat the Eagles and the Packers when they were both playing well and undefeated. Oh, and we destroyed the Browns who just happened to beat the crap out of the Giants on Monday. These of course don't count for anything though, because everyone just wants to see the overrated Cowboys implode.

Always fun when everyone's scraping for excuses to bury your team, innit? Sounds like being a Colts fan...or even a supporter of those damned Patriots.

Agreed. That kind of logic leaves way too much room to make any argument you want. The Rams beat the Redskins, and the Redskins beat the Cowboys, but the Rams aren't better than the Cowboys. No one would make that argument, but you could make it going by that logic. And really, at the end of the season, you could make a positive argument for any team with that logic.

I do think that people are hopping aboard the Cowboys Hate Bandwagon too eagerly, but the "A beat B, and B beat C" rationale doesn't hold up. The Cowboys are good, but haven't been playing as well as it seemed like they would. Their fans should be patient and wait for them to have one or two dominating games and then they'll get to boast their record without using gimmicky logic.

5 and a bit hours till we take on the Browns. I'm quite hyped for this match, because should we win I think we prove that the Rams match was just a bit of a bad game and we can look forward to a play off push (although the NFC play offs will be extremely difficult just to get in alone).

Should we lose I'll be bitterly disappointed but it's quite a big match for us. Also I'm expecting this to be the Titans last week as an undefeated team (barring a big upset - Any Given Sunday after all!) then they run into the Colts. Hopefully a handy defeat will shut my best friend up a bit, although I doubt it.

Team A beat Team C, but lost to Team B, HOWEVER they're better than Team B because Team C beat Team B. Quit grasping for straws, face it, for the team that was supposed to steamroll its way to the Super Bowl, the Cowboys look... average? They're no better than the other top squads in the NFC.

Edited by damshow

AD point is the whole "quality team" thing theoretically changes week to week. From how I understand it, the Eagles and Packers at the time of their losses to the Cowboys should have been considered "quality teams" But since then they aren't because they've been losing. So what happens if they suddenly don't lose another game for the rest of the year? Are the magically "quality teams" again?

AD point is the whole "quality team" thing theoretically changes week to week. From how I understand it, the Eagles and Packers at the time of their losses to the Cowboys should have been considered "quality teams" But since then they aren't because they've been losing. So what happens if they suddenly don't lose another game for the rest of the year? Are the magically "quality teams" again?

They would, which is why CHFF's Quality Rankings are typically very accurate. As the season progresses, the rankings begin to look very, very accurate, and eliminates so-so teams with very easy schedules ranked higher than great teams with difficult schedules. Like I said, Cowboys fans should be patient, because in the longrun they're going to look much better in the Quality Rankings and normal rankings (which they already look good in).

Team A beat Team C, but lost to Team B, HOWEVER they're better than Team B because Team C beat Team B. Quit grasping for straws, face it, for the team that was supposed to steamroll its way to the Super Bowl, the Cowboys look... average? They're no better than the other top squads in the NFC.

Average?! Ok, the games against the Redskins and Bengals weren't the best showings ever I'll give you that. But you are just blatantly ignoring very good performances against the Browns, Packers and Eagles and even the Cardinals. Take away the Special Teams plays and Dallas win that game in Arizona by a couple of scores. You're obviously expecting a 2007 Patriots-like domination by Dallas this year which is just stupid in the first place. Not to mention you give a lot of other teams our schedule so far and they win maybe half of those games at most.

They would, which is why CHFF's Quality Rankings are typically very accurate. As the season progresses, the rankings begin to look very, very accurate, and eliminates so-so teams with very easy schedules ranked higher than great teams with difficult schedules. Like I said, Cowboys fans should be patient, because in the longrun they're going to look much better in the Quality Rankings and normal rankings (which they already look good in).

Which is why anybody who uses the Quality Rankings to judge teams during the season is a complete retard. They're not even accurate until the end of the season, so they're useless until the new year basically.

I'm fucking confused right now...how on earth does the Vikings have just 1 point right now?

Are you watching the game or a scoreboard? If it's just a scoreboard it's got to be a glitch. Maybe they forgot to post the points for the TD that preceded an extra point. That's the only play in the game worth a single point, and you can only get it when you've just scored 6. If you're watching the game, then my money is on the officials trying to cover a bet :shifty: