NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

FUCK YEAH for Brady finally getting injured and there being a reason to have him on the injury list

FUCK NO for him crippling Team Scout Rush's chance of victory, proof that even when you get exactly what you want Brady still finds a way to screw it up

FUCK YEAH DeSean Jackson, I knew picking him over Julius Jones for the flex spot was a good idea

FUCK NO for T.J. Houshoufhuoshohesoufhouh sucking a big sack o'dicks

FUCK YEAH Hines Wald ploving he can be the tarr leceivel the Steerers learry need

FUCK NO for Maurice Jones-Drew not even managing ten points against bloody Tennessee

Sources: Brady out with ACL tear

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is expected to miss the rest of the 2008 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, according to a source familiar with the injury.

While New England coach Bill Belichick said in his postgame press conference that he had no update on the status of Brady’s injury, two sources indicated it involved serious damage to the knee.

“It’s bad,” a team source said. “We’re going to have to play without him.”

Brady was hurt as he stepped up in the pocket to make a throw to wideout Randy Moss. Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard, who was on the ground, lunged forward and struck Brady’s leg, which buckled as he released the ball.

Brady was helped off the field and was later led down a staircase by team officials, presumably to undergo tests.

Fourth-year quarterback Matt Cassel, who had thrown just 39 passes in his career before Sunday, replaced Brady and completed 13 of 18 passes for 152 yards and a touchdown. Cassel, who backed up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC, hasn’t been a starting quarterback since high school. He won a competition with Matt Gutierrez during the preseason to retain the job as Brady’s primary backup.

Ouch. I didn't think it would be that bad, but let's not get too excited because Brady only got his start when Bledsoe got injured. What if Cassel is even better than Tom Terrific? :shifty:

On a more serious note, Brady getting injured means that the Jets fans around here will now have SB aspirations (despite the fact that they almost choked one up to the Fish). You win some, you lose some. Ugh.

Edited by naiwf

Everyone is discussing them trying to bring Culpepper in.

Oh this keeps getting better and better.

And before people start defending that idea, stop it, its terrible. Yeah, Culpepper can probably bomb it out to Moss if he's got the protection. But thats just a very small part of the Pats offensive scheme. All the other stuff? The slants, screens and short passes? Culpepper would be absolutely terrbile doing that. Daunte is now just a big arm with no mobility and poor accuracy, not exactly a good fit in the Pats system.

Chris Simms is the best choice of the names they've been throwing around and thats not saying much either. They'll be stupid if they don't stick with Matt Cassel, as he at least knows the system, whereas with everyone else they'll have to change it to fit around them.

Edited by Maxx

Tom Brady just went down with an apparent knee injury, had to be helped off the filed.

Looked like the kind of hit that took out Carson Palmer in the playoffs a few years ago. Probably just a strained ligament or a sprain though, as he was walking off with a little assistance.

Hopefully Pats fans don't bitch as much as Bengals fans did/do.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the breaks on American TV are a joke, I'd go mental if I had to watch every sport this way. RAW isn't so bad, because theres a determined amount of time in between them. Example on the Jets@Dolphins game, 1st quarter.

(Commercial)

Favre throws 56 yard TD pass

Nugent makes PAT

(Commercial)

Kick Return

(Commercial)

Thats like 12 minutes of Commercials to like 3 minutes of TV.

They have to do that to catch up because they can't take breaks in the middle of a drive. So unless there's an injury, timeout, or other stoppage in play, they can't guarantee when they'll get to take another break so they get as many in as they can around scores.

They could do like every other sport in the world and, like...not have breaks during live coverage (other than things such as halftime)?

I guess Pollard gets the KSK bounty, and to anyone calling it dirty, fuck off. Blame Sammy Morris.

Typical of the board going down at the precise time I needed it to brag about the Bears. This is why you shouldn't write anyone off before they play the games. I'm not expecting a Superbowl run, but I'm a lot happier having seen Forte run, the o-line hold its own, and the defense back in '06 form. Yes, I know the Colts O-line was inexperienced and missing Saturday, and Manning's not 100%, but still, everyone was expecting this to be a rout. And it wasn't. So there. I'm just kicking myself for going against my homerish tendencies and putting in Mo Jo-Drew over Forte.

With Tom Brady out for what seems to be a long time, this could make the battle for top spot in the AFC East wide open. I have seen people say that both the Bills and Jets are now going to win the division. I think the Patriots are still the favourites, but now Buffalo and New York have a fighting chance.

With Tom Brady out for what seems to be a long time, this could make the battle for top spot in the AFC East wide open. I have seen people say that both the Bills and Jets are now going to win the division. I think the Patriots are still the favourites, but now Buffalo and New York have a fighting chance.

This whole AFC is once again wide open.

Indy looked bad against the Bears.

Jacksonville lost, San Diego continues to lose games they should win.

Cleveland, though they lost to a good team, could be in big trouble if they lose to the Steelers next week.

If Week 1 proves to not be an anomaly, the AFC is wide the fuck open.

Also, I'm gonna call it now...the Steelers OLB tandem of James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley will combine for AT LEAST 25 sacks this season.

I cannot wait for next week! Bring on the Stains!

They could do like every other sport in the world and, like...not have breaks during live coverage (other than things such as halftime)?

Halftime is only 20 minutes long. And I don't think not having commercial breaks would work well in America.

Halftime is only 20 minutes long. And I don't think not having commercial breaks would work well in America.

Halftime is fifteen minutes long in English football, and they manage fine. I've never understood why live games need to be interrupted like they are. Are there not enough on-field or on-screen adverts? Seriously, when stat pop-ups are sponsored by various companies, it's gone too far. It's my one main gripe with American sports. I know you guys are used to it, but it almost comes across as shill first, sport second for those not used to it.

That's not too say that sport over here is entirely ad-free. I hate how jerseys are plastered with ads (some of the ice hockey uniforms are ridiculous, you can barely tell who's playing or make out the markings on the ice), and the electronic hoardings they now have on the edges of football pitches have become way too distracting, especially with the use of animation. Alas, this really belongs in another topic >_>

I still think the Patriots will win the AFC East. They may suffer a slip-up or two on the road against the Bills and/or Jets but I'd still expect them to win at least four divisional games. Hopefully the trend continues and we get a couple of the usual teams miss out on the playoffs and the likes of the Texans, Titans, Jets, Browns making the post-season.

In regards to the commercials, I think it's because the higher-ups, whoever they are, think it would be more interesting to have a dozen beer/truck commercials and whatever else they run than show people walking around the field not really doing anything or talking to their coaches on the sideline, such as after they score a point or there's a timeout. Just my own personal theory I guess.