NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Looks like Osi needs season-ending surgery to fix his knee.

In other NFC East injury news, Jason Taylor will be out for 10-14 days with a knee sprain. As for the Cowboys, G Kyle Kosier will be out for 4-6 weeks with a hairline foot fracture. Cowboys are also missing WR Isaiah Stanback but I'm not sure how long he's gone for. If Austin & Stanback are to miss significant time that leaves us with three receivers but I'm guessing since it's the 4th & 5th WRs we'll just promote Amendola or Jefferson. Kosier will be missed, hopefully Pat McQuistan can do a decent job of filling in.

ESPN says some NY newspaper has said Strahan would consider coming out of retirement if the Giants make a serious approach. Apparently it would cost them $8m.

That is a really good deal if it meant Strahan coming back and filling the role that Osi would have played. Someone get Strahan on the phone and get that deal done. Strahan and Tuck would combine well on the pass rush.

Breaking news on Giants.com is that Kiwanuka has been officially moved from Left Outside Line Backer to Defensive End.

The Giants should pay Strahan whatever the hell he wants. Without him they're an 8-8 team at best and that's not going to get them into the playoffs. Even if it takes him until week 3 or 4 to get in 100% game shape that's better than the alternative right now.

But if your Strahan why would you return? You've got a nice gig lined up at FOX, you left with a championship while on top. Strahan doesn't need to come back as there is nothing else for him to prove in the game. He's got records, he's got his championship, he's made his money. Now its time to live the retired life and work with Fox.

Now on the flipside 8 million dollars does seem pretty high for just one season.

He just went through a costly divorce so I'm sure the money wouldn't hurt and it's not like the TV deal won't be there waiting for him, I figure if he's still got the urge to play why not go for it?

But is Merriman willing to risk his career over one season were the Chargers MIGHT be able to finally get over the hump? I mean its fine and all to think this is your year which they made a strong run in the playoffs last year, but I don't think its smart regardless of the hype of your season to risk your career to play one season. Even if you have a chance to win a Super Bowl.

I think he should take the surgery. LT will be there next year and so will the Chargers as a strong, contending team.

How do the Chargers deal with the loss of Merriman? It's so important in a 3-4 defence to have linebackers on the edges that can rush the QB and drop back into coverage equally as well. Merriman was arguably the best outside linebacker in the league.

I think if Merriman takes the season off, the Chargers should get on the phones with some teams and try to pry a veteran LB away from them in return for draft picks. If not now, do it in weeks 5 or 6 (right before the trade deadline) when some teams are already out of contention. The Chargers aren't doomed, he's a crucial part of the defense, but they can still do it next year (Though LT is getting up there in years and there's only so much a RB can do).

The Chargers window is closing, and fast. LT is a great back, and I have no doubt he'll be able to produce into his 30s, but you can't really rely on that, and they don't have a real great back-up like they did. Rivers is alright, but he's not a top 10 QB in the league, and without Merriman, the defense goes from scary to solid. They'd still make the playoffs this year without him, probably even win the division (unless something surprising happened), but next year? This is the NFL, you can't count on next year.

If him playing on a knee means taking years off his career, but getting a ring, I dunno... personally, I'd take it. You don't know how many shots you're going to get at a ring.

The Chargers window is closing, and fast. LT is a great back, and I have no doubt he'll be able to produce into his 30s, but you can't really rely on that, and they don't have a real great back-up like they did. Rivers is alright, but he's not a top 10 QB in the league, and without Merriman, the defense goes from scary to solid. They'd still make the playoffs this year without him, probably even win the division (unless something surprising happened), but next year? This is the NFL, you can't count on next year.

If him playing on a knee means taking years off his career, but getting a ring, I dunno... personally, I'd take it. You don't know how many shots you're going to get at a ring.

Well said. You can't take the year off if there is another option, because you're assuming your team is going to be in the same spot next year. If Merriman gets a fourth, fifth, and sixth opinion, and they all say surgery, he should do it. But if there is any glint of hope of him playing, he needs to play and go after that championship ring NOW.

Well from the reports around the world wide web, Merriman's knee is in the condition of one very bad hit and the rest of his career is done the tubes. Which seriously can be said about any player as one hit here or there and your done. So is Merriman willing to risk never playing again for a super bowl ring. I mean its one thing to risk a few years here and there but the rest of your career.