NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Why is it that the Niners are completely sold on these three losers when guys like Culpepper are still available?

Probably because Daunte Culpepper is a shell of his former self, can't run, can't make accurate throws anymore. Hasn't thrown for more TDs than INTs since 2004 and has never proven he was anything more than a QB who benefited from having Randy Moss.

Calm down, Sweeten.

The Niners will be okay. I'm confident that by the end of the preseason that Alex Smith will be the starter and he's no loser. You have to keep in mind that he came back too early last year from his separated shoulder which is why he sucked so much.

Plus, O'Sullivan isn't great but he's not doing a bad job. He started out very poorly against the Packers but turned it around and ended up having a pretty good game.

Why is it that the Niners are completely sold on these three losers when guys like Culpepper are still available?

Probably because Daunte Culpepper is a shell of his former self, can't run, can't make accurate throws anymore. Hasn't thrown for more TDs than INTs since 2004 and has never proven he was anything more than a QB who benefited from having Randy Moss.

Couldn't have said it myself. I wouldn't sign Culpepper as anything other than my third string QB, and only if I had a good running game and no other options at QB.

Well Kevin Curtis has a sports hernia. Out for a few weeks.

Of course it happens after I drafted him.

Ditto. :(

The Niners will be okay. I'm confident that by the end of the preseason that Alex Smith will be the starter and he's no loser. You have to keep in mind that he came back too early last year from his separated shoulder which is why he sucked so much.

What was the reason for him sucking so much beforehand? :shifty:

What was the reason for him sucking so much beforehand? :shifty:

Simple, Jim Hostler.

Alex Smith was a good QB under Norv Turner. It's not Smith's fault that the Niners can't stay with a good OC for more than one season.

I think the QB shouldn't throw more than 15 times a game if I am running the 49ers offense. They have Gore and any passes should be quick outs to Davis. Does san Fran still have a good D?

They have a good defense (although they lack a true pass rush, but the addition of Justin Smith is supposed to help along with Manny Lawson coming back from injury as well) but with how bad the offense played last year, they were always on the field.

They have a very solid secondary, a good group of LB's (aka Patrick Willis is amazing) and they've been trying to add 3-4 d-linemen the last few years. It's a work in progress but if the offense can stay on the field, their defense would look a lot better than they did last year.

And no, Shaun Hill SHOULD NOT be starting. Big whoop, he played a good two games. Alex Smith has done that too. He's clearly the most talented of the group, it's just a matter of O'Sullivan knowing the system and Smith still trying to grasp it.

I don't mean to come off as totally blasting O'Sullivan, Shaun Hill, or Alex Smith. I understand that since Battle and Johnson are out, and Bruce didn't play the first game, they aren't throwing to the most talented guys in the world... or even on the team. And I'll concede that Mike Martz typically has never made the wrong choice for QBs. He subbed in Warner, then Bulger, then moved to Detriot, and hand picked Kitna. However, I've never been impressed with O'Sullivan yet, despite the coaching staff giving him every chance to suceed, and so while I wouldn't pitch a fit if Alex Smith were to start at QB (which is what I forsee happening) I would much rather have them bring in someone like Culpeper, whom has proven he can start in this league, to push Smith for the starting role, rather then someone who is unproven. Especially on a year in which if the Niners don't do anything special, the franchise is likely to clean house and start all over next year.

I hope Liv is right about how things will work out, and I'm just being a bleeding vagina about the whole mess. <_<

Culpepper seriously? you gotta be kidding. they are pushing for someone who knows or can learn the system so why bring in someone else who hasn't even done anything in the nfl since he was on minnesota?

Because he has shown that he can be a better QB then any of the other q'backs that the Niners have at the moment. As I said, I hope Liv is correct and Smith will do fine. And nor was I saying that Culpeper would be their cure all for the Niner's franchise. All I am saying is that I wish they would have brought someone like Culpepper in, who if Alex does struggle with the system, or just his play in general, you could put someone back there who has proven at some point in his career he can get the job done. Hill started like two games, and Sullivan couldn't get on the field, on any other team in the league. If not Culpepper, someone who has least shown they can be a decent starter in the league.

Yeah seriously Sweeten. You do realize athletes don't stay in peak physical shape forever right? Their talents can drop off completely. Such is the case with Culpepper. Since completely destroying his knee and losing Randy Moss he has been terrible. Not okay, not satisfactory, not average, TERRIBLE.

If you didn't know, this is the year 2008, not 2004. Daunte Culpepper since coming back from his injury hasn't proved he can do much of anything besides throw interceptions and be delusional about his ability to be a starting quarterback in the NFL

To add in some thoughts on this whole Daunte Culpepper thing, I agree with what most everyone has said, especially Maxx in that last post about it being 2008 and not 2004. The same thing happened with Shaun Alexander of my Hawks, he had a monstrous 2005 season, especially with Hutchinson on the line. When Hutch got signed by Minnesota and Alexander signed the big bucks, he went from an MVP running back to a shoddy backup at best within a year. Now he's unemployed and will stay that way unless another team has a lot of injuries and they don't mind overpaying for him, or he drops his asking price.

Happens to a lot of other players as well, yes he was one of the best in 2004, but the reason why Culpepper isn't signed on is because they're very weary of him being injured within the past two years and not looking anywhere near how he used to.

I think the QB shouldn't throw more than 15 times a game if I am running the 49ers offense. They have Gore and any passes should be quick outs to Davis. Does san Fran still have a good D?

Unfortunately, Mike Martz is the OC.

J.T O'Sullivan sucks by the way, he's fucking awful. He's a glorified third stringer and is getting a shot because Martz has a hard on for the guy. He's Stoney Case 2.0, you guys remember Stoney Case don't you? No? Exactly. O'Sullivan is a fucking bum, I'd rather have Mike McMahon running my offense.

Mike Martz isn't an idiot. He was pass happy in St. Louis and Detroit because he could be, he had the tools to do it. San Francisco lacks the quarterbacks and the recievers to run such an offense.

Gene Upshaw, head of the NFL Players Association, died today of pancreatic cancer. Apparently he was just diagnosed with it on Sunday

Yeah seriously Sweeten. You do realize athletes don't stay in peak physical shape forever right? Their talents can drop off completely. Such is the case with Culpepper. Since completely destroying his knee and losing Randy Moss he has been terrible. Not okay, not satisfactory, not average, TERRIBLE.

If you didn't know, this is the year 2008, not 2004. Daunte Culpepper since coming back from his injury hasn't proved he can do much of anything besides throw interceptions and be delusional about his ability to be a starting quarterback in the NFL

I don't care if the year is 1994, 2004, or 2144... Daunte Culpepper will FOREVER be better then O'Sullivan. Even if the brother died at this very minute, he would have more ability then O'Sullivan does breathing. I'm not trying to sound like Culpepper would come in and lead the Niners to the Superbowl. At this point in his career, he is a back up on most good teams. Green Bay wanted him as a back up. Pittsburgh wanted him as a back up... but to the Niners, he has to be a better option then O'Sullivan.