NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

IMO, the top pick is still LT. While AP had a great year last year, I don't know if A. he can stay healthy and B. if he'll have another good year like that. Where on the other hand, I think it's almost bankable that LT will have a good year and given that he had a slow start last season, I expect him to try and correct that this year and start out hot.

Other than that, I guess I would go Brady, then Peterson, then Westbrook and then Moss to round out the top 5.

I'm looking at it again and I see it like this;

I can't see them dropping more than 2 in the East, at most. They have the Chargers and Colts at home, two games I think they match up very well in. Dallas and New York at home, both at mid and late seasons, so by then they have a good read on both.

Only two games scare me. On that road against Jacksonville and New England. Which are scary every year anyways.

I can't see them dropping more than 1 to the NFC East to be honest. The Giants are tough because of their pass rush, but Eli doesn't strike fear into me at all. Dallas, like I said before, I think is overrated. And both of those games are at home. Philthydelphia isn't what they once were and the Steelers play well in hostile territories usually, and Washington is another team that doesn't really do much for me. Maybe we'll drop one of those games but I'm not sure.

And like you said, there's maybe 2 games you can look at and pencil in and probable losses (as much as I hate to do that 16-0 baby!) and even those are going to be close. I'm pretty sure we'll lose once to Baltimore though.

I was listening to a podcast the other day that was saying if the Giants can pick up a couple of players for their defence in the draft (with OLB Dan Connor being tipped as the Giants first round pick) then they should dominate the NFC east division. Thoughts?

I'm looking at it again and I see it like this;

I can't see them dropping more than 2 in the East, at most. They have the Chargers and Colts at home, two games I think they match up very well in. Dallas and New York at home, both at mid and late seasons, so by then they have a good read on both.

Only two games scare me. On that road against Jacksonville and New England. Which are scary every year anyways.

I can't see them dropping more than 1 to the NFC East to be honest. The Giants are tough because of their pass rush, but Eli doesn't strike fear into me at all. Dallas, like I said before, I think is overrated. And both of those games are at home. Philthydelphia isn't what they once were and the Steelers play well in hostile territories usually, and Washington is another team that doesn't really do much for me. Maybe we'll drop one of those games but I'm not sure.

And like you said, there's maybe 2 games you can look at and pencil in and probable losses (as much as I hate to do that 16-0 baby!) and even those are going to be close. I'm pretty sure we'll lose once to Baltimore though.

I was listening to a podcast the other day that was saying if the Giants can pick up a couple of players for their defence in the draft (with OLB Dan Connor being tipped as the Giants first round pick) then they should dominate the NFC east division. Thoughts?

Well I don't follow the NFC East like I do the AFC North, but I'm still on the fence about the Giants.

Everyone says Eli Manning arrived during the playoffs and the Super Bowl, maybe he did. Or maybe he just played over his head and will play like the Eli of old this season.

Guys like Eli, and even moreso Tony Romo and Derek Anderson get all kinds of undeserved hype because they have one good season. It's really unwarranted.

The Giants will only be as good as Eli Manning lets them. They could add some key defensive role players in the draft, but unless their front office is a lot better than I'm giving them credit for I can't see them finding an impact player defensively in the draft this season.

They're my favorites to win the NFC East, but that's only because I don't trust Tony Romo. And either way I feel like only 1-2 games will separate the Giants and Cowboys at the end of the season, no matter who is on top.

I only worry about Tony in the playoffs. Eli still needs to show he can win at home before I predict the Giants to win the division. I don't think their miraculous playoff streak will keep going.

LT is always going to be the smartest #1 overall choice untill he shows otherwise. I doubt he'll be the consensus pick, as people will be all about Peterson, who I'm sure will do well, but its all about LT if you have #1.

I'm in a keeper league. Going into our third season. This year we are going to attempt a free agency and depending on how that goes I'll see who I take. I have the first pick after having a horrible fucking season (My guys always seemed to score when I didn't start them)

Less than a week out, here's my 2nd to last 1st round mock.

01.) Miami Dolphins - Jake Long - OT - Michigan

02.) St. Louis Rams - Chris Long - DE - Virginia

03.) Atlanta Falcons - Glenn Dorsey - DT - LSU

04.) Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden - RB - Arkansas (Dumb move, but it's Al Davis)

05.) Kansas City Chiefs - Matt Ryan - QB - Boston College

06.) New York Jets - Vernon Gholston - DE/LB - Ohio State

07.) New England Patriots - Branden Albert - OG - Virginia (The guy I wanted the Steelers to draft goes off way earlier than anticipated.)

08.) Baltimore Ravens - Leodis McKelvin - CB - Troy State

09.) Cincinnati Bengals - Sedrick Ellis - DT - USC

10.) New Orleans Saints - Keith Rivers - LB - USC

11.) Buffalo Bills - Derrick Harvey - DE - Florida

12.) Denver Broncos - Ryan Clady - OT - Boise State

13.) Carolina Panthers - Jeff Otah - OT - Pittsburgh

14.) Chicago Bears - Chris Williams - OT - Vanderbilt

15.) Detroit Lions - Rashard Mendenhall - RB - Illinois

16.) Arizona Cardinals - Mike Jenkins - CB - South Florida

17.) Minnesota Vikings - Philip Merling - DE - Clemson

18.) Houston Texans - Jonathan Stewart - RB - Oregon

19.) Philadelphia Eagles - Gosder Cherilus - OT - Boston College

20.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Brian Brohm - QB - Louisville

21.) Washington Redskins - Devin Thomas - WR - Michigan State

22.) Dallas Cowboys - Limas Sweed - WR - Texas

23.) Pittsburgh Steelers - Quentin Groves - DE/LB - Georgia

24.) Tennessee Titans - DeSean Jackson - WR - Cal

25.) Seattle Seahawks - Fred Davis - TE - USC

26.) Jacksonville Jaguars - Kentwan Balmer - DT - North Carolina

27.) San Diego Chargers - Antoine Cason - CB - Arizona

28.) Dallas Cowboys - Aqib Talib - CB - Kansas

29.) San Francisco 49ers - Early Doucet - WR - LSU

30.) Green Bay Packers - Tracy Porter - CB - Indiana

31.) New York Giants - Carl Nicks - OT - Nebraska

No way the Chiefs are taking Matt Ryan. They're actually pretty high on Brodie Croyle, the offense needs more work anyways, as does the defense.

07.) New England Patriots - Branden Albert - OG - Virginia (The guy I wanted the Steelers to draft goes off way earlier than anticipated.)

Are you just picking names out of a hat? When corner and linebacker are much more pressing needs for New England and you have McKelvin going off the board with the very next pick, they would pick Albert because...?

Chad Johnson's not going anywhere. Apparently the Bengals have turned down an offer from the Redskins of their first round pick this year and a third rounder next year which could turn into a first if Johnson were to play to a certain level. I doubt they'll get a better offer than that.

Are you just picking names out of a hat? When corner and linebacker are much more pressing needs for New England and you have McKelvin going off the board with the very next pick, they would pick Albert because...?

When is the last time Belichick used a first round pick on a CB? Most of their first rounders have focused on the offensive and defensive lines unless there's value in another position (Brandon Meriweather). There is absolutely no value for a linebacker at 7 with Gholston off the board.

Chad Johnson's not going anywhere. Apparently the Bengals have turned down an offer from the Redskins of their first round pick this year and a third rounder next year which could turn into a first if Johnson were to play to a certain level. I doubt they'll get a better offer than that.

That is why they are the Bungles. CJ is a cancer. I still don't think they'll ever win anything with Carson Palmer, but getting rid of Chad would be a huge step in the right direction.

Washington's first rounder this year could possibly be on a WR and then the first or third next year could easily be put to good use on the defensive side of the ball.

Unreal, absolutely unreal.

When is the last time Belichick used a first round pick on a CB?

So because it hasn't happened in the past there's absolutely no possible way it could happen now with cornerback being the Pats' biggest need.

I agree with you, but with this being a deep class at cornerback I could see Belichick taking a guy like Albert who can play both guard and tackle. Albert is arguably the best oline prospect in the draft not named Jake Long.

If anyone is going to go against their own tendencies it's Belichick, so you could be right.